Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Receiver Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 09:12 AM
N724SP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver Battery Question

Hello RCU, I have a question regarding the possible use of a small, LiPO battery to power a Futaba micro receiver (R3104SB) in a park-flyer sized 2-Ch glider (no motor, no ESC/BEC). My problem is that all the NiCad receiver packs I have are much too large for this glider. I have several 2S Lipo batteries (7.4V) that came from another park flyer motor that would fit perfectly. The Receiver specs. show it can handle 4.8V-7.4V, but I'm not familiar with the characteristics of LiPo batteries and was wondering if this would be safe/possible? I do not have a speed controller/BEC in this glider as there is no motor. Just need to power 2 micro servos and was hoping to use the Lipo. My plan was to fully charge the Lipo, take a voltage reading with my voltage meter to insure it was not higher than 7.4V, but I figured I'd throw it out to the experts (you all) before trying it and potentially damaging my receiver. As you might have surmised, I'm and old guy who has really no experience with all the modern battery chemistries. Just trying to keep my small glider light and simple. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2024, 05:02 AM
rgburrill

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

You need to worry about your servos, too. There are some very small NiMH batteries that have close to the same MaH rating as small LiPos,
Old 06-29-2024, 05:44 AM
tedsander

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

You may want to shop around for a voltage regulator. A small device to put in line with the battery, that will reduce the voltage to something safer for the electronics. While not very big, sounds like you have minimal room, so take that into consideration.
Here's one I randomly found (never seen or used, so no recommendation): https://www.readymaderc.com/products...QDZxQyk9DMAPsM
Google comes up with many others, in a variety of sizes.
Old 06-29-2024, 08:57 AM
N724SP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tedsander, rgburrill, thanks so much for the insight and information! That www.readymaderc.com website was just what I needed. I fully charged my 2S (7.4V) LiPo last night and took a voltage reading with my dmm. As I suspected, the fully charged voltage was about 8.4V, so the voltage regulator is exactly what I need. RGBURRILL pointed out that I may also do damage to my servos running the voltage so high, and I agree. I found a voltage regulator on the website that tedsander recommended and it should fit perfectly. So many things have changed in this hobby since I was last involved in it, back in the 80's and 90's! Appreciate the help!
Old 06-29-2024, 12:40 PM
tedsander

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

Or this one, cheaper, and includes a power switch! https://www.readymaderc.com/products...ec-with-switch