Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ripmax Xcalibur Sports jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ripmax Xcalibur Sports jet

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 11:53 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Are you going to cut the wheel wells, servos and ailerons?
Old 06-30-2024, 12:38 PM
pc1972

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xcalibur - Dutch roll / oscillation

Hi,
I've recently maidened my mid-sized Xcalibur. The model was bought partially built and unflown and I've completed it with Hitec high torque servos and a Wren 80 powering it. I'm getting a problem with Dutch roll / oscillation noticeable at all speeds but maybe worst at mid throttle speeds. I've given the model another good check over again and can't see anything obviously wrong with it other than the right aileron outer hinge point is offset by 1.5mm due to it being incorrectly drilled during manufacture. The trailing edge of the said aileron is aligned with the trailing edge of the wing though. The main wing to tailplane alignment / dimensions are within 2mm and everything looks nice and square. C of G is at 170mm with the bubble trap full and the main tank 1/4 full. Has anyone else experienced Dutch roll with their Xcalibur and managed to cure it. Your help / advice would be gratefully received.
Cheers, Pete
Old 06-30-2024, 01:20 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 164 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by pc1972
Hi,
I've recently maidened my mid-sized Xcalibur. The model was bought partially built and unflown and I've completed it with Hitec high torque servos and a Wren 80 powering it. I'm getting a problem with Dutch roll / oscillation noticeable at all speeds but maybe worst at mid throttle speeds. I've given the model another good check over again and can't see anything obviously wrong with it other than the right aileron outer hinge point is offset by 1.5mm due to it being incorrectly drilled during manufacture. The trailing edge of the said aileron is aligned with the trailing edge of the wing though. The main wing to tailplane alignment / dimensions are within 2mm and everything looks nice and square. C of G is at 170mm with the bubble trap full and the main tank 1/4 full. Has anyone else experienced Dutch roll with their Xcalibur and managed to cure it. Your help / advice would be gratefully received.
Cheers, Pete
All boom plane have that to a certain degree something like the dual PowerBox little one work for that
Old 06-30-2024, 09:09 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 738 Likes on 532 Posts

Dutch roll…no, not normal. Fish tail (wag) is normal and a gyro sorts that.
Old Yesterday, 01:08 AM
pc1972

Hi, Thanks for the advice. Looks like using a gyro is the way to go.
Old Yesterday, 01:26 AM
pc1972

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Dutch roll…no, not normal. Fish tail (wag) is normal and a gyro sorts that.
Hi Dave, Thanks for the advice. Yes, it's fish tail (wag). Dutch roll was described by another flier at my club and maybe a bit over dramatic! Can you suggest a gyro unit and set-up? I'm using a Spektrum DX8 Tx and an AR9110 receiver and have not used a gyro before on my other models. Would you suggest a single channel gyro on the rudders for instance, or a three channel gyro? I have the ailerons and rudders on single channels with Y leads, as the spare channels are used up with lights and smoke. Cheers, Pete

Last edited by pc1972; Yesterday at 01:32 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:31 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dutch roll or fish tail wag are not normal by any chance of imagination, if you need a gyro to sort out the geometry of you jet there is something wrong with the set up, check the alignement of each control surface, set the trims to neutral and fly the thing setting the trims accordingly in the air, once back on the ground check the trims and thrust line to determine where the problem/s lies. I will stress again it is not normal for any airframe to have either of these traits especially one as sorted and popular as a Boomerang.