Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Which servos to use on Gear Doors???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Which servos to use on Gear Doors???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 12:43 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Which servos to use on Gear Doors???

i am trying to get away from pneumatic systems but still not set as to which servos should i use to actuate gear doors,
what specs (torque, movement amplitude, size....) should they have and what would be the correct setup to install them to achieve a large amplitude/ movement especially on an F-16 type of main gear doors.
Should servo also swing (same as actuator when deploying?) if this is the case how could this be done?

Appreciate all info you can share.
Thanks

Old 07-05-2024, 06:19 AM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

What you need will depend on what size plane you have. A good mini servo will work on a 1/8-1/9 scale, for a 1/7 and bigger you'll want a full size servo. The movement of the door will rely on the length of the servo arm and the placement of the attachment on the door, the closer to the hinge the less servo movement required, but the more servo torque needed. The ideal setup would use a ball link at the servo and have the pushrod on the opposite side of the servo from the door with the pushrod in line with the arm so when the doors are closed the weight of the door is pulling on the linkage and isn't held up by the servo motor. If you have room a linear actuator would be the way to go, attachment would be similar to the air cylinders and you can control the throw just like a servo. I swapped out one of these for the air cylinder on the speed brake on my AD Scorpion and it worked great.

https://www.actuonix.com/linear-serv...=XIDSC82|AAYS6
Old 07-05-2024, 03:12 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 227 Likes on 117 Posts

The electron linear actuators work very well for gear doors.
Old 07-06-2024, 12:35 AM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by invertmast
The electron linear actuators work very well for gear doors.
Have you actually used these?
I thought their travel stroke was fixed, so you can’t accurately set open and close limits.
You can set one such as the gear closed position, but for the open position you’re at the mercy of the size of horns on the door.
Old 07-06-2024, 06:33 AM
FlyJ

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bidrseed2
I thought their travel stroke was fixed, so you can’t accurately set open and close limits.
You can set one such as the gear closed position, but for the open position you’re at the mercy of the size of horns on the door.
That’s not the case for Actuonix actuators. Actuonix actuators are PWM controlled like a servo and have variable end points. I’ve used them many times.
Old 07-06-2024, 11:16 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 227 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bidrseed2

i use them on the main wheel doors on my T-38. Setting the proper location (in relation to the door hinge axis) of the actuator attachment is the key to setting them up properly, you cant just bolt then to a door hinge. They work very well and arent full of plastic parts like the actuonix ones. The other issue about the actuonix ones i dont like is they slow down the closer they get to their end point location (when using “RC” versions) and the repeatability of them stopping in the same place quickly is pitiful.