Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

What the? Ix14 glitch

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 01:10 AM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What the? Ix14 glitch

Brand new ix14, binded to AR10360T. So I'm going thru everything for a plane I'm about to maiden tomorrow. Everything seems fine. All of a sudden, no audio alerts and there's this clicking sound coming from the brand new ix14. Surface control is ok, but it seems there's something wrong with the profile. So I put it to sleep, and when it comes back up there's this message about Channel Processor firmware needing to be updated, and rf will be disabled. This happened while I was just going thru normal "preflight" stuff like checking deflection, rates, etc. So I hit the proveed to go ahead and update. It finishes, then the airware logo comes up and just hangs there. Restart everything, seems to go back to normal.

Should I be concerned?
Old 06-23-2024, 04:36 AM
rgburrill

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

Sounds like the X14 has a new update. Seems like every software program today goes through "agile" development. What that means is marketing comes up with a long laundry list of what a product should do but management wants to start making money now. So the engineers figure out what functions can be done now and a sequence of "new" function updates. ("New" means already promised but not in the initial release.) Which means the first time you use something there is a high probability it already has to be updated. Some products allow you to do automatic updates, some you have to manually do the update.

I should add that some updates are bug fixes. Proper software development would have a separate test organization that does system integration and tests. But that costs more and DO-178 doesn't apply to RC.

Last edited by rgburrill; 06-23-2024 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-23-2024, 09:55 AM
djmp69

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Sounds like the X14 has a new update. Seems like every software program today goes through "agile" development. What that means is marketing comes up with a long laundry list of what a product should do but management wants to start making money now. So the engineers figure out what functions can be done now and a sequence of "new" function updates. ("New" means already promised but not in the initial release.) Which means the first time you use something there is a high probability it already has to be updated. Some products allow you to do automatic updates, some you have to manually do the update.

I should add that some updates are bug fixes. Proper software development would have a separate test organization that does system integration and tests. But that costs more and DO-178 doesn't apply to RC.
Uh, ok. I get that updates happen, but the way this happened I could very well have been flying. When I say brand new, I've had the TX for lil overnight week now, and I did all the initial setups and updates and all they.

Again, I'm just simply wondering if I need to be concerned regarding that particular warning/update or not to worry since I still had control.
Old 07-16-2024, 10:05 PM
djmp69

Turns out the answer is no