Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Atlantio 059 Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Atlantio 059 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 01:08 AM
KnimRod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atlantio 059 Conversion

A couple of years ago, I picked up an "Atlantio 059" on Ebay (my first RC boat). It was obviously a cheap Chinese made copy of the discontinued Kyosho Atlantio but the price was definitely right at about $35.00 shipped.

The Atlantio 059 is 25" long with an ABS plastic hull and performed surprisingly well as delivered. There were lots of shortcomings though... The furnished 6-cell NiCD pack was junk. The furnished radio system was not proportional in either throttle or rudder and the motor would be smoking hot after a session with my substituted 7-cell GP3300 packs. The good part is that this boat is a blast! It was very stable even in rough water, and was much faster than I hoped. Last year, I decided to convert the boat over to more conventional RC radio and electronics. I already had a pistol grip tx from an old RC car. The Atlantio's stock radio gear was enclosed in a waterproof box inside the hull. I gutted the stock components and installed a RC car radio and ESC. The ESC isn't water cooled but since I resorted to drastic overkill (200 amp), it seems to work just fine even enclosed in the airtight radio box. I replaced the original servo with a Futaba S3107 servo I had laying around. The motor cooling issues were resolved with a universal water cooling kit. This new setup worked very well with everything staying cool and the boat exhibiting very nice, proportional handling characteristics.

However, during my last outing, the original motor has apparently given up. I need to replace it with something. The original motor is advertised as a "RS-540SSH" type. I've been unable to find an exact replacement motor and will probably look to a stock RC car motor soon. The prop is direct driven and near as I can tell, is 32mm in dia. with a pitch of about 1.6. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive replacement motor?

Thanx.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:01 AM
pompebled

Default RE: Atlantio 059 Conversion

Hi KnimRod,

On 7 GP3300 , direct drive, the Graupner 600 Race is a good replacement.
This motor has more torque compared to the 540 and is better suited than a car motor.

Watercool the motor and check for overheating on the first run, with two minutes intervals, don't run the complete pack, make sure to check!
As the Atlantio has a submerged prop, you may want to start with a smaller one, or one with a lower pitch, if the motor gets too hot.

Keep us posted.

Regards, Jan.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:35 PM
KnimRod

Thanks Jan.

I'll check out that motor. Is it a direct swap as far as motor mounting and shaft diameter? How about a regular Speed 600 (8.4V)?

Here's some pics of the conversion on the Atlantio:

Thanx again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33736.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	365035   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45429.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	365036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41263.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	365037  
Old 06-30-2006, 08:31 PM
KnimRod

The Speed 600 motor worked the charm! Some video taken today: [link=http://media.putfile.com/Atlantio-81]Modified Atlantio 059 Video[/link]

[8D]
Old 07-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Nice Job, Deffinetly looks faster than before.
Ready for the next step?
Think you could squeeze a 700 in that bad boy?
Old 07-02-2006, 07:46 AM
pompebled

ORIGINAL: KnimRod

The Speed 600 motor worked the charm! Some video taken today: [link=http://media.putfile.com/Atlantio-81]Modified Atlantio 059 Video[/link]

[8D]
Nice boat, nice ride, nice video!

Good to hear it worked out well.

I think it's possible to squeeze in a 700, but the stock prop shaft would have to be replaced to cope with the power of the 700 motor and the 40X submerged prop.
Besides that it would sink in very low due to the 12-14 cells required (and an ESC for smooth operation).

The 700 would make this hull insanely fast, way beyond scale speed, I doubt if it would be drivable at all...

I wouldn't recommend it, the boat runs very good the way it's now.

Regards, Jan.
Old 07-22-2024, 08:56 AM
Bash it

Originally Posted by KnimRod
A couple of years ago, I picked up an "Atlantio 059" on Ebay (my first RC boat). It was obviously a cheap Chinese made copy of the discontinued Kyosho Atlantio but the price was definitely right at about $35.00 shipped.

The Atlantio 059 is 25" long with an ABS plastic hull and performed surprisingly well as delivered. There were lots of shortcomings though... The furnished 6-cell NiCD pack was junk. The furnished radio system was not proportional in either throttle or rudder and the motor would be smoking hot after a session with my substituted 7-cell GP3300 packs. The good part is that this boat is a blast! It was very stable even in rough water, and was much faster than I hoped. Last year, I decided to convert the boat over to more conventional RC radio and electronics. I already had a pistol grip tx from an old RC car. The Atlantio's stock radio gear was enclosed in a waterproof box inside the hull. I gutted the stock components and installed a RC car radio and ESC. The ESC isn't water cooled but since I resorted to drastic overkill (200 amp), it seems to work just fine even enclosed in the airtight radio box. I replaced the original servo with a Futaba S3107 servo I had laying around. The motor cooling issues were resolved with a universal water cooling kit. This new setup worked very well with everything staying cool and the boat exhibiting very nice, proportional handling characteristics.

However, during my last outing, the original motor has apparently given up. I need to replace it with something. The original motor is advertised as a "RS-540SSH" type. I've been unable to find an exact replacement motor and will probably look to a stock RC car motor soon. The prop is direct driven and near as I can tell, is 32mm in dia. with a pitch of about 1.6. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive replacement motor?

Thanx.
Hello if you are still in need of a motor i have one I have the entire boat minus the remote

Last edited by Bash it; 07-22-2024 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-22-2024, 09:08 AM
Bash it

Default Reply

Originally Posted by KnimRod
Thanks Jan.

I'll check out that motor. Is it a direct swap as far as motor mounting and shaft diameter? How about a regular Speed 600 (8.4V)?

Here's some pics of the conversion on the Atlantio:

Thanx again.
I just got it today no joke friend had a few old boats in storage not sure if it works yet I will check it out and try to send you pics ok give me a few minutes
Old 07-22-2024, 09:19 AM
Bash it

Hello again I have problems with sending pics here is my email [email protected] contact me will make things easier
Old 07-22-2024, 09:28 AM
KnimRod

Originally Posted by Bash it
Hello if you are still in need of a motor i have one I have the entire boat minus the remote
That was 17 years ago. I had replaced the motor with a speed 600 then and it worked perfectly. In fact, after 17 years, it's still going strong, still sees use during the summer months and, it's still a blast!

The old video link above is no good but it's available on YouTube if anyone is interested:

Last edited by KnimRod; 07-22-2024 at 11:05 AM.