Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Etoarmor

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 08:15 PM
tch2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh wow. Rest in peace Bob🙏🏽
Old 07-23-2024, 10:16 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have known since January of 23 that we lost Bob. Some of you may remember that I used to distribute the parts for ETO before Daryl. Bob and I were very close, and over the years I got to know him well. We used to be on skype for hours and hours talking about everything and nothing. Ideas for tank builds, life, loss...you name it. He was like a father to me, and we always talked about possibly getting together. Unfortunately it never happened. We stayed in touch even after I could no longer do the ETO distribution. Truly one of the most selfless people I knew. He always had time for someone who needed him. He took a lot of pride in everything he did. He loved the tanks, but he loved the folks in the community more. He wanted to sell parts that were absolutely the best you could get, and he did. When I had the parts here, I could take what I needed for a build and simply send him some cash for them. I bought many parts at that time, as I was building tanks constantly. I miss those days terribly, but I miss skyping with my friend a lot more.

For those of you asking about the gearbox setup, I will say this. Bob spent countless hours on R&D with those units, not to mention money. He had to purchase many combinations before he found what was required to get both, scale speed and torque so the machines could battle without becoming a pill box. There are no stickers or part numbers on the units that would do you any good. I suggest buying multiple units and trying them. I have made a few over the years out of aluminum and it took me quite some time to get the units that I needed. Of course, what you need will also depend on the tank you are putting them into. With that said, I also made a 3d printed setup which I was planning to sell. I have shelved it as I am focused on other things at the moment.
Old 07-24-2024, 05:42 AM
maillemaker

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you know what motors he used?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-24-2024, 06:03 AM
yellowshaker

It depends on the application, but I don't have specifics.
Old 07-24-2024, 07:08 AM
maillemaker

Were there different motors for different tanks?
Old 07-24-2024, 08:42 AM
yellowshaker

Again, I do not know specifics. I know he spent a long time. Getting speeds and torque set properly for each application.
There's a lot involved with what he did. The fact is, brother I not Daryl knows exactly what parts he used. But the combinations were spit on. If you built units for yourself, just experiment and find what works for your tank.
Old 07-24-2024, 01:04 PM
maillemaker

Yeah, I have bought several sets of motors for the 3D printed system I came up with. I think I finally hit on something that would work and got bored with the project a couple of years ago.

Was hoping someone knew the exact motors to save us the cost of repeating the trial and error.
Old 07-24-2024, 01:15 PM
yellowshaker

Like many things, we have to pay to play
Old 07-24-2024, 04:18 PM
maillemaker

I was just hoping now that the guy is deceased the information would come out to spare us having to recreate the wheel.

Old 07-24-2024, 04:39 PM
yellowshaker

Honestly I think it's a bit disrespectful. It's also disrespectful that you'd do it in a thread where people were genuinely concerned about a very good friend. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-24-2024, 04:42 PM
maillemaker

No disrespect intended. Just trying to follow in the man's footsteps. It's no loss to him anymore.
Old 07-24-2024, 04:43 PM
yellowshaker

Wow dude. Just stop talking
Old 07-24-2024, 04:44 PM
maillemaker

Best of luck to you.
Old 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Hey Yellowshaker, haven't heard from you in a while. Good to hear you are still upright and fighting.

I talked to Bob a few times, he even sent me a copy of his book to read. It's quite the story. Last time I heard from him, missiles were raining down on Sevastopol. When I heard that he was gone, I could not help but wonder if he was a causality of the war. I hope not. I hope he got far away from all that mess, and died peacefully in his sleep.
Old 07-24-2024, 07:53 PM
yellowshaker

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
Hey Yellowshaker, haven't heard from you in a while. Good to hear you are still upright and fighting.

I talked to Bob a few times, he even sent me a copy of his book to read. It's quite the story. Last time I heard from him, missiles were raining down on Sevastopol. When I heard that he was gone, I could not help but wonder if he was a causality of the war. I hope not. I hope he got far away from all that mess, and died peacefully in his sleep.
I'm still here...i haven't been anywhere near as active in building as I was, but I do occasionally do something.
I miss Bob very much, and I think of him often. He was like family to me. He was not a casualty of war. He has cancer, and fought to the end.
Old 07-25-2024, 07:06 AM
Pah co chu puk

Cancer. Bummer, I know from experience how sad that can be for everyone.

Glad you are still around. I too am building less RC models these days, but I keep the motor pool operational and ready, and add to it now and then. I drifted off into building those 3d printed trucks, so I haven't built up a tank in a couple of years.
Old 07-25-2024, 07:16 AM
yellowshaker

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
Cancer. Bummer, I know from experience how sad that can be for everyone.

Glad you are still around. I too am building less RC models these days, but I keep the motor pool operational and ready, and add to it now and then. I drifted off into building those 3d printed trucks, so I haven't built up a tank in a couple of years.
Yes. Lost my father in 2000 as well. It sucks bro.
I still have most of my tanks, plus some I've never shown. I am thinking of selling a few off though.
I miss being active on this forum. I will try to come on more often.
I'm glad to see you're doing well too. A lot of great friends I've made here.
I also still distribute ElMod in the states.
The following users liked this post:
bowlman (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 07:23 AM
Pah co chu puk

Well I'm glad you are still around. Do check in more often and show off those unseen models. I will be retiring soon so I plan to build some tanks with all the extra time I will have.

Still building those cool cars? The full scale ones?