Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Dymond RC 100" Rearwin Speedster

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Dymond RC 100" Rearwin Speedster

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 06:00 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dymond RC 100" Rearwin Speedster

Well, I bought one of these before Christmas, seemed liike a good deal, $320.00 for a 100" ARF, and I wasn't wrong. I have overpowered mine a little, MVVS2.15 gas, but the extra weight is not a problem. I finally flew it yesterday, and without any hickups or incidents. Engine runs great, MVVS2.15 gas, zdz40 wrap around Pitts muffler for cowl clearance, RCS20x10 prop.
I have flaps and ailerons setup for crow on my 8103, but I will just go back to regular ailerons and flaps. I plane to get some floats for this plane, if I don't sell it, seems to raise some interest at the field. Check it out, the ARF is a great quality, comes with a lot of good hardware, and some not so good:
www.rc-dymond.com

DKjens
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	53936_3898.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	33495  
Old 02-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

DKjens, did you have to pay shipping on top of the $319?

I was looking at this one very seriously some time ago, but something else grabbed my attention before I pulled the trigger. Compared to H9's $380 and $400+ Cubs, this one does seem like a great deal.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:39 AM
DKjens

Volfy,
I bough it from their shop in San Diego. It comes in one large box and should not be a fortune to ship.
I had an incident today though, the gear mount block needs more glue. I like to taxi with one wheel in the grass to slow the plane down, well, that one wheel his a sprinkler head and away went the gear and block and RCS20x10 prop. Apart from that, I bloody like to put putting around at a couple of clicks of throttle, and pull vertical at WOT when wanting to he he. If set up with flaps, it will land at a walk.
DKjens
Old 02-10-2003, 06:15 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Wait... you've got sprinkler heads at your field??!! That's a nice field. I don't think I've ever been to a field that well equipped.

What you said sounds just like the kind of fun you can have with a well powered big wing Cub. I've got several weedie and chainee conversions lying around looking for a home. When I finally get around to finish off most of the NIB ARFs piled up in my study, I will think about this one again. Don't think the wife will tolerate yet another large box right now.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:02 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, just picked up one of these at the WRAM show yesterday! Plan on putting a Quadra 40 on it. This thing looks nice and was $90 cheaper than the Kangke. It also has flaps that the Kangke doesn't! Any other tips besides the gear mounting block?
Brian
Old 02-23-2003, 04:40 PM
DKjens

bdtsr,
The gear mounting clock is the only thing I've had to repair/modify so far. I plan to ad flying wires on the stab, nothing heavy duty, just a continious wire through the surfaces held in place with some glue. At idle, the vertical stab vibrates a bit, and it is not attached really heavy duty. I now hover my Speedster on my mvvs2.15gas, just have to be real quick on the rudder he he.
Oh, and to make your engine mounting easier, I'll measure where on the firewall my centerline is/
DKjens
Old 02-23-2003, 06:01 PM
bdtsr

Great! That will be a big help. When I opened the box last night, I didn't see any instructions. Did yours come with any? I will be emailing them to see if they can send some. Do you have yours setup for a 2 piece wing? I'd like to do this so I don't have to grab the trailer all the time.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:27 AM
DKjens

bdtsr,
I have instructions, I'll look for them and send you a copy. Send me a pm or email where to send them. I discovered another bad thing today. Don't use the wheels that comes with it. If you look at the rimes, they are basically two disks with a piece of pipe, and the pipe ends have been flared to keep the disks on. Well, dispite plenty of grease and wheels turning well, on my second flight today, my engine stumbled at takeoff, still on the ground. I backed off the throttle, the plane weered left, and nosed over. I guess the sideload had frozen the wheel disk to the gear and only the outside disk and pipe was turning with the wheel. I am sure this sudden brake applyed was the cause of another bloody 20x10 prop going to prop heaven.
DKjens
Old 03-15-2003, 07:38 AM
bdtsr

Ok, got my Speedster together and test flew on Thursday. It's like a big baby in the air! I have a few problems to sort out (radio glitch, air in fuel line). Nothing I hope will be to hard. Putting in a NEW Hitec RX and removed the inline "T" for fueling and replaced with a fueler valve. All up weight of 19.5lbs. A little heavy but not bad. We'll see what happens in the morning.

Jens, thanks again for the help oon the instructions!
Brian
Old 03-15-2003, 08:32 AM
DKjens

Brian,
Good to hear all went well. Be carefull on landings, the limited rudder throw some times makes it tricky if a little crosswind is present. Wow, 19.5 lbs, that is a bit on the heavy side, she will still land at a walk with flaps though. Wait till you fly her inverted, it took more power and down elevator to maintain than I was used to, he he, haven't flown many flat bottom airfoils he he.
DKjens
Old 03-15-2003, 02:51 PM
bdtsr

Yeah, my fleet bipe was 20lbs! But my friends 1/4 scale clipped wing cub (86") is at 17.5 with a G38, so being at 100" a guess is not too bad. I flew at our relatively confined field with no problem. Came in real nice (scale like) even with out flaps. You think the Rearwin Brothers could have designed more rudder throw since they only redesigned the tail around 4 times or so until it received certification! How far back did you set your cg? Even with the Q40 up front, I was still at the back of the range.
Brian
Old 03-15-2003, 05:24 PM
DKjens

Brian,
With two elevator and one rudder servo and a 3000mAh 4 cell and Rx mounted at the rear of the cabin, and the ignition module next to engine in cowl and ign. battery right behind firewall, mine balanced right in the range. I did it by holding it alone, so it's not that precise, but it didn't acy either tail or nose heavy.
DKjens
Old 03-15-2003, 06:20 PM
bdtsr

Good, I'm sure moving my battery back from the firewall won't have much of an effect on it. Gonna go out now and do a running range check to see if the new RX helped.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:35 PM
bdtsr

Ok, solved my glitch problem, changed the coil with the one from the Ryobi 4 stroke. Lost 1k rpm though! Timing is probably later. Oh well it'll give me a chance to see how it performs at the rpm of the Ryobi.
Old 08-03-2024, 12:28 PM
Rhacecky

Default Rearwin speedster

Hello there.

im reaching out for info on this plane. I have acquired it from my neighbor which her husband past away. I’m hopping she has the cowling and wing struts. Not sure who the manufacture is. This plane is an ARF kit not sure on parts or if it’s been discontinued. My name is Ryan.

thanks
Old 08-21-2024, 11:40 AM
sailr
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhacecky
Hello there.

im reaching out for info on this plane. I have acquired it from my neighbor which her husband past away. I’m hopping she has the cowling and wing struts. Not sure who the manufacture is. This plane is an ARF kit not sure on parts or if it’s been discontinued. My name is Ryan.

thanks
Most likeley an ARF from Kangke Models. I don't think they are in business any longer. It's an excellent flyer. Does it look like this? Where are you located? I have one of these that the
covering was removed, sanded, and ready to recover. I'm in Land O Lakes, FL. I'll sell it for $150 but it's in two LARGE boxes and would have to be picked up.

Last edited by sailr; 08-21-2024 at 11:43 AM.