Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

paint peel like rubber

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 03:45 PM
entity
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint peel like rubber

Ok.. so i bought a new body... cleaned the inside with windex and dried it.. masked everything off.. started out with a candy blue then a backing of nice metallic silver.. let that dry... started to peel off the masking and some of the damn paint came off with it and it was stretchy like rubber? i'm using pactra acyrlic or enamel.. can't remember... and i did not thin it.. it looked like a nice consistency to start.. not too runny not too thick.. like "milk" as testors AKA pactra recommends... were did i go wrong.. ? a little ticked off at it since the rest of the car looks nice but not some of the simple masking decals. Thanks Entity. .... And i waited over three hours before i pulled the mask off.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:33 PM
HPIRS4-3SS
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: paint peel like rubber

are you suppose to use windex to clean it? could that have been a factor?
Old 07-01-2004, 08:00 PM
WckdDudeMan
My Feedback: (1)

you used an acrylic.... it has a tendency to do that on glass and other slick surfaces.... i know cause i use a piece of glass as a palet(or however you spell it) when i paint miniatures..... when you get done if its dried on the pallet take it to the sink peel a corner up and just peel it right off....

wicked
Old 07-01-2004, 09:26 PM
ICrashThings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it peeled because u didnt let it dry...[&o]
Old 07-01-2004, 11:12 PM
ranger1
My Feedback: (32)

i have had the same problem with the paint when the mask is taken off. so i take the mask off as soon as i get done painting so the dried paint can't stick to the mask . works great try and let me know how it works.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:20 AM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

i practised on a cd cover and rubbed my finger over the paint it it just peeled off
Old 07-02-2004, 01:13 PM
entity
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

well it seems that we have conflicting storys.. not dry enough.. or too dry? and i don't understand the c.d. cover explanation??? is there a better paint? too thick... too thin? crappy paint? what?? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:26 PM
WckdDudeMan

its the type of paint, also if you cut around the edges of the mask with a hobby knife the paint should stay on the body

wicked
Old 07-02-2004, 05:31 PM
M3EVOlution

don't use cheap f ucking paint you f ucker.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:28 PM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

i was told to practise my design on a cd cover to see how it would turn out
Old 07-03-2004, 02:36 AM
Detcord

i have the same problem, the testors stuff simply doesnt want to stick... i painted my body about a month ago, and noticed some of the paint peeling from normal bashing, but just left it alone. but today the inside was realy dirty so i hit it w/ my air compressor and most of the paint flew off.... haha
Old 07-03-2004, 05:02 AM
sanity

"its the type of paint, also if you cut around the edges of the mask with a hobby knife the paint should stay on the body"

if it can peel off easily, i wouldnt bother cutting around it ; it would still peel off eventually when nitro or some crap got underneath it.

i'm no expert, but sounds like your using the wrong paint. check with your lhs for the best type of paint to use (i'm assuming anything oil based)
Old 07-03-2004, 01:18 PM
WckdDudeMan

acrylics are water based and are nice cause you can clean your airbrush easily and all.... enamel based paints are a pain at any time.....

wicked
Old 07-15-2004, 11:32 AM
HelicopterPilot

i have to agree did the paint u used say for lexan or polycarbon
Old 07-15-2004, 01:24 PM
toyota1991

QuackQUACK!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2004, 02:22 PM
toyota1991

I DONT KNOW HOW OLD TOU ARE BECAUSE YOU DIDNT TAKE THE TIME TO ENTER YOUR PROFILE BUT IM GOING TO LET YOU IN ON THE SECRET OF LEXAN BODY PAINTING.
PAINTING AN RC BODY IS A VERY VERY DIFFICULT PROCESS BUT IF YOU FOLLOW MY DIRECTIONS TO THE "T" YOU ARE ASSURED TO PAINT A FLAWLESS SHELL.
FIRST YOU MY FRIEND NEED TO GO TO HOME DEPOT AND BY THE MOST EXPENSIVE AIR PURIFYER YOU CAN FIND, 6000 YDS OF DUCT TAPE ,15,000 SQ YDS OF PLASTIC SHEETING , DUST MASKS, A VENTALATION FAN, AND 10 FT OF DUCT. $$$$$CHA-CHING$$$$$.
YOU MUST HAVE ABSOLUTELY %100,000 STERILE ENVIRONMENT FREE FROM OUTSIDE CARSNIGENS LIKE SMOG OR DANDER.
VACCUME THE ENTIRE GARAGE ROOF TO FLOOR .CLEAN ALL COB WEBS ECT... THEN INSTALL THE VENT FAN IN THE WALL TO VENT ALL THE FUMES AND DUST OUTSIDE. TAPE ALL WINDOWS, DOORS, AND EVEN THE GARAGE DOOR AND COVER EVERY SQ INCH OF THE WALLS MAKING SURE TO COVER RIGHT OVER YOUR TAPED DOORS ECT.... SET THE AIR PURIFYER RELATIVELY CLOSE TO YOUR WORK AREA. PLUG THE CORDS FOR THE VENT FAN AND PURIFYER RIGHT THROUGH THE PLASTIC INTO THE WALL OUTLET.
SECOND YOU MUST SANITIZE YOURSELF . THE HUMAN BODY CAN PRODUCE ALOT OF DANDER NOT TO MENTION MITES AND OTHER PESTS THAT YOU WOULDNT WANT TROMPING THROUGH YOUR FRESHLY LANE PAINT.
SO YOU MUST PLACE THE PAINT MASK ON YOUR FACE COVERING YOUR NOSE AND MOUTH. STILL WITH ME? WRAP YOUR SELF IN THE REMAINING PLASTIC AND TAPE. BE SURE TO CUT LITTLE HOLES TO SEE OUT. THE SMALLER THE BETTER, AND ALSO REMOVE THE PLASTIC FROM THE OUSIDE OF THE RESPIRATOR . THATS SO YOU CAN BREATH.
FINALLY YOUR READY FOR PAINT. SHAKING PAINT IS VERY VERY IMPORTANT , BUT WHAT MOST PEOPLE DO NOT REALIZE THAT THE BEST AY TO CLEAN THE BODY IS TO SHAKE IT VIGERIUSLY FOR 3-4 HOURS. SOMETIMES ILL TAKE AN ALIEVE OR 2 PRIOR TO STARTING. HELPS WITH THE CRAMPING.
IF YOUR TAKING THE RISQUE ROUTE AND TRYING SOME GRAPHICS YOULL NEED TO MASK OFF YOUR DESIGN AND SPRAY THE BODY USING STROKES 3 INCHES IN LENGHT BUT NO MORE THAN EIGHT STROKES AN HOUR . MAKE SURE YOU ROTATE THE BODY END OVER END AND SIDE OVER SIDE UNTILL THE PAINT IS CURED.
ONCE THE PAINT IS NO LONGER TACKY BUT NOT BEFORE ITS DRY TRACE OUT YOUR DESIGHN WITH AN EXACTO KNIFE TO SEPERATE THE PAINT WHICH IS STUCK TO YOUR BODY AND THE MASK WHICH IS COMING OFF.
ROLL YOUR NOSE OVER THE MASK TO REMOVE IT. KEEP RUBBING UNTILL ALL THE MASK IS REMOVED AND THEN SHAKE THE BODY CLEAN AGAIN 3-4 HOURS IS ENOUGH YOU DONT WANT TO SHAKE THE PAINT OFF.
THEN REPEAT THE FIRST STEP TO PAINT YOUR FINAL COLOR EMEMBERING TO RLL THE BODY WHILE DRYING.
I ASSURE YOU THAT I HAD A MONKEY PAINT MY LAST BODY . I RAN INTO A RED OAK AT 82 MPH AND THE PAINT DIDNT FLINCH.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:23 PM
iliketobreakthings

hmmm thats a good explanation
Old 07-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Dstruked

Ok toyota I dont know If you are serious or not. If you are seek Help.. If your not serious you may want to seek help anyway for taking the time to lay down that joke. I have been painting a while and my Bodies Always come Out Fine.

Clean the Body with warm water and some hand soap.

Then I take a sponge (the kinde that is yellow and green) and I take the scrubby side and rub the inside of the body, Not hard cause you dont want really deep scratches but enough so that when you hold it in the right light you can see little scratches.

Then dry thre body off completely.

Get yourself some liquid mask and water it down. 1 part water 1 part liquid mask. Load it in an Airbrush and spray on lots of coats at least 5. If the liquid mask is to thin it is a pain in the butt to get off.

Use a sharpie and draw your design on the outside of the body (asuming it has the plastic skin like most do)

Get a hobby knife (x-acto has a really good one that has a tiny pivoting head) trim along your sharpie lines and peel that part of the liquid mask out.

Paint it up I normaly use Acrylic but some special paints you cant get water based.

Then back All the paint with a solid color, Ths color may vary depending on how you painted you car but This layer will keep it from shipping and what not.

Thats it for me Scroll down a bit to the post that says free paintjob and check out my pics if you want

All without A ghetto Clean room.

B
Old 07-20-2004, 11:39 AM
mk999

far from what toyota wrote i painted mine in a dirty shed washed the shell one or two days beforehand and put maks on just after that and also spraying 3 inch strokes is going to seriously muck up a paintjob you should paint long strokes past what you're spraying
Old 08-05-2024, 03:15 AM
danny79

Originally Posted by entity
Ok.. so i bought a new body... cleaned the inside with windex and dried it.. masked everything off.. started out with a candy blue then a backing of nice metallic silver.. let that dry... started to peel off the masking and some of the damn paint came off with it and it was stretchy like rubber? i'm using pactra acyrlic or enamel.. can't remember... and i did not thin it.. it looked like a nice consistency to start.. not too runny not too thick.. like "milk" as testors AKA pactra recommends... were did i go wrong.. ? a little ticked off at it since the rest of the car looks nice but not some of the simple masking decals. Thanks Entity. .... And i waited over three hours before i pulled the mask off.
Ok. This has been a while since you posted that but literally every answers on that thread except maybe one, are wrong... Reason you had issues with your paint is simply because you used the wrong paint. You need to use paint made explicitly for lexan/polycarbonate. Acrylic and enamel are to be avoided because they won't stick properly and are not flexible. As soon as you will move the body, it will change form because it's soft so the paint will peel. Use paint like Createx for airbrushing or Tamiya "PS" paint series. There's also the brand Spazz but it's harder to get at some locations. It's also advised to avoid using windex on lexan cause it can create a chemical reaction and melt and deform lexan when heated. Just clean the inside of the body with tap water and good dish soap with no harsh chemicals. Like Dawn. With these tips, painting a body should go very smoothly. Hope it helps ya.