Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

hanger 9 bf 109 build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

hanger 9 bf 109 build

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 04:52 PM
merric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Noticed that my tail seems to wag back and forth a little when i am flying straight and level. any one elese notice this on theres. Thanks
Old 08-25-2013, 03:35 AM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes mine does a small amount as well
Old 08-25-2013, 06:11 AM
merric

Is there a fix for this or is it something i have to live with.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:50 AM
JazzboneCuit

Originally Posted by merric
I Noticed that my tail seems to wag back and forth a little when i am flying straight and level. any one elese notice this on theres. Thanks
I find alot of the H9 planes do this...nothing to be overly concerned about though...The Corsair 50 was the biggest culprit for me..

Jazzbone
Old 08-31-2013, 03:22 AM
arighi
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Merric
the wag is a phenomenon known as Dutch roll. It's caused by a slight yaw of the airframe which is auto corrected by the wing aerodynamics but then over correction takes place, so the sequence repeats. The small fin is the culprit, I guess the price we pay for scale. I guess the fix would be a gyro to control the uncommanded yaw.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:00 PM
B Shipp
My Feedback: (13)

Did H9 drop this airplane? Can't find it on there website....
Old 10-06-2013, 06:08 PM
kahloq

Originally Posted by B Shipp
Did H9 drop this airplane? Can't find it on there website....
Uh no! Its on horizon's website listed as IN STOCK. Quick search for hangar 9 brought it up page 2 or type in bf-109 in search box. Pretty easy to locate.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...60-arf-HAN2785

In fact I had the opportunity a few weeks back to talk in person with two representatives from Horizon that were involved with the me-109 coming to market.....they stated they were surprised how quickly the planes were selling.
Horizon sent sponsored company pilots to Warbirds over the Rockies (mid Sept) and one of the planes they were demoing constantly was the ME-109
Old 11-28-2013, 10:42 AM
sfergson727

Stupid Question: I am building my Messerschmitt after nine months of sitting in the box. In looking over the instructions, when it comes to wing joining, on page 38, it says to slide the wing panels together, with no mention of gluing. No where in the manual, does it state to glue the halves together. I can't imagine that is accurate, as the G forces would not take long to separate the halves in flight. Mistake by Hangar 9?

Unless someone says otherwise, I'll be joining them with my trusty 30 minute epoxy. This model will join my growing fighter fleet (H9 Spit, TopFlt P-47, P-51) and will be powered with a Saito 125, with the eflight retracts and BF109 struts. Looking forward to getting it up in the air.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Scott
Old 11-28-2013, 11:11 AM
kahloq

Glue the wing halves together.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:26 AM
sfergson727

Thanks, that's what I figured, but wanted confirmation before I betrayed the instruction manual.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:22 PM
CustomPC

I too have had this model sitting in the box since it was released.

I have several models with similar carbon tube spar and wing hold down plate and none of them are glued at the wing root. Each wing half has the leading edge dowel and wing bolt which goes through the wing and wing hold down plate which will prevent them from sliding apart..

FWIW, there is not very much force trying to separate the wings so the hold down plate is adequate. I fly my other models with a lot more aggressive maneuvers than this model will ever see and have never had a problem.

Having said that, I can't see any drawbacks to glueing the wing halves together if you want the peace of mind, apart from the full lengh wing being more difficult to transport and store.

Last edited by CustomPC; 11-28-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:30 PM
sfergson727

Originally Posted by CustomPC
I too have had this model sitting in the box since it was released.

I have several models with similar carbon tube spar and wing hold down plate and none of them are glued at the wing root. The wing bolt plate will keep the halves together.

FWIW, there is not very much force trying to separate the wings so the hold down plate is adequate. I fly my other models with a lot more aggressive maneuvers than this model will ever see and have never had a problem.

Having said that, I can't see any drawbacks to glueing the wing halves together if you want the peace of mind, apart from the full lengh wing being more difficult to transport and store.
Thanks for your thoughts. This took me by surprise, as I had never seen wing halves on such a small model not be joined permanently. I usually build kits, rather than ARF's so maybe this a new trend. I'll be epoxying the halves together.....
Old 11-29-2013, 04:12 AM
Katniss

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have always glued the wing halves together on H9 planes. Id have to look at the manual to be sure, but seems odd they wouldn't have illustrated that in the instructions for this airplane.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:12 AM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

The B25 was that way too. I never glued the wings together and after about 50 flights, no issues.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:39 AM
cmgtech1

Received the H9 Bf-109 Christmas of 2013, but just recently completed it. Powered with an O.S. Engines 1.20 Four Stroke (pumped). Knowing up front that everyone has had to add a lot of nose weight to achieve a proper balance, I tried my best to make the weight usable for something. I went with a 4200mah Nickel metal Hydride receiver battery pack and have it mount on top of the engine box. It just barely has clearance under the cowl, but it works. I chose the O.S. 1.20 FS because it's weight. Would much rather have had an O.S. .95V up there, but knew the 1.20 would add significantly more weight. May as well have that weight producing horse power right? The throttle servo was also mounted on the engine box for the sake of trying to get everything as far forward as I could. I installed the recommended e-flite retracts and struts. Had to work a bit with the retracts to keep them from binding. Man... there's barely enough room for the wheels. As others have reported, the flaps were the most frustrating part of the project. It took a good bit of adjusting of linkages to get inner and outer flap sections equal with each other and with their partners on the opposite side of the wing. I use Futaba radio equipment, and disliked the fact that the kit seems designed around particular JR equipment. I hate any product that tries to shoehorn me into a particular brand of product. Minor things, but it cause more aggravation while making the linkages as I could not simply make them to exactly what the kit called for.

With equipment mounted as far forward as possible (elevator and rudder servos being the only equipment located in the stock locations), I wound up having to add 2 ounces of lead to the front. I accomplished this by using the engine bolts/nuts to secure the lead to the bottom side of the mount. All up weight without fuel wound up at exactly 11 pounds.

At 11 pounds and a wing area of only 678.5 square inches, I expected the model to be a nightmare to fly. I dreaded the maiden of this model due to it's 37+ inches per square foot wing loading. Bar far the highest wing loaded aircraft I have flown for a ".60 sized model". I performed the maiden flight at a neighboring clubs large, wide open flying field. Many thanks to the friends at the Menlo Big Sky RC Club for allowing use of their field.

The maiden flight was completely uneventful, and within just a few feet of leaving the ground, I realized that all of my fears about the plane were completely unfounded. I was very surprised that the model wasn't very sensitive to control surface inputs. Manufacturer's recommended throws will not provide for quick/snappy responses and are a VERY good starting point. After a couple of laps of the field, the plane was fairly well trimmed and I started making some rather nice low passes. The model felt very solid and extremely well behaved. I quickly felt the desire to do some basic aerobatics with the 109 and found that she feels very nice in the rolls. The new O.S. 1.20 isn't nearly up to snuff on the top end performance yet, and I question the use of the recommended 16x6 prop. She had plenty of power to fly, but felt very weak in the climb. I suspect that a 15x8 prop will be a much more suitable combo for the plane with my engine.

After about 10 minutes I decided it was time to start planning on getting this beautiful machine back on the ground. I too the model up to about 100 feet and started getting a feel for her slow speed characteristics. Man, I was shocked at how docile she was in the stall. I fully expected this model to be a disaster at the slow end of the speed spectrum. Very happy to report that the Bf-109 is quite the gentle lady when slowed down. She will bite if you ask too much of her, but she telegraphs her status about as well as anybody could hope for. I deployed about 1/2 flaps and was happy to find that the model had no sudden or significant change in pitch. A lap or 2 around the field getting familiar with her handling with flaps deployed and it was time to commit to a landing. With what felt like miles of runway available to me, there was no need to worry about over shooting the runway. That said, I tried to treat the landing as if I was on my shorter home field. The use of 1/2 flaps allowed for a very nice nose down attitude throughout the approach and especially on final. The flaps allowed for a moderately steep nose down attitude on final without gaining speed. About 4 feet off the ground I started the round out to level, and the Bf-109 settled into a very nice level attitude with a very shallow sink rate. Her speed drop off and sink rate were very comfortable and her gear lightly touched the ground just as I was applying the last bit of pull that the elevator had. On grass, the ground handling was very nice, even with it's narrow gear stance. I'm sure she'll be a good bit more difficult on a paved surface, but she' easy on grass.

This is an excellent flying aircraft. I do recommend planning ahead to minimize the amount of "dead weight" necessary to achieve the correct balance point. Like others have reported, a CG located at 3.25 inches from the leading edge is great. Wish I hadn't of taken so long to get this model airworthy. She flies like a dream and looks great doing it. Yes, she has a very minor bit of war bird tail wag, but not nearly as much as some other models. She feels very comfortable and solid in flight. While the wing area is fairly small, the airfoil must be an excellent choice as she is extremely well behaved. Not sure why this model hasn't been more popular. Not the easiest of ARFs, but as the only reasonable option for an Axis war bird of this size, I just don't understand why they aren't seen everywhere.

So happy with this model!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hangar9 Bf-109.JPG
Views:	1000
Size:	3.82 MB
ID:	2105987  
Old 06-27-2015, 08:54 AM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations on the maiden. Great flight report and build summary. Nice looking plane.

Brian
Old 10-18-2022, 02:50 PM
Ash08

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with this model It was an absolute pleasure to read. I have just aquired this model, complete. Realised she is going to be too much for me right now. I will fly her at a later date once I get some practise with heavier birds.

I know I am well late to this party but if anyone is still flying theirs let us know and share your thoughts.

Ash.
Old 08-05-2024, 04:27 AM
Showlinks

Default Spinner?

I know this is a really old thread, but I figured I give it a try. I have this plane and need the spinner for it. Does anyone have a spinner for this model that they are willing to sell? Thanks for any help.