Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Getting back into R/C

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Getting back into R/C

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2024, 04:42 AM
soupninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into R/C

What are the new rules from the FAA or others I need to abide by to get into RC planes?
Old 08-11-2024, 04:52 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by soupninja
What are the new rules from the FAA or others I need to abide by to get into RC planes?
Hi soupninja,

Our RC model airplanes are now considered "Drones" by the FAA, and you need to register with the FAA to fly. It's not all that hard, I think it's still $5 per three years, and you can learn all about it here;

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone

Having an AMA membership, while not an actual requirement, will provide insurance, an important consideration in today's litigious atmosphere....

PS, you are this, and not "Part 107", if you are planning to fly only for fun (and not being paid for your flying, as in being paid for taking real estate photos and other flying for financial compensation)

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_flyers

Last edited by init4fun; 08-11-2024 at 05:25 AM. Reason: clarify my point.....
Old 08-11-2024, 07:38 AM
jcmors

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good morning soupninja! Welcome back to the greatest hobby on earth! (IMHO)
In addition to registration as pointed out by Init4fun, you will also need to take the trust test (an incredibly easy test BTW). There are many places that administer the test, the AMA being one. You can take the test here.
Old 08-17-2024, 03:53 AM
soupninja

Thanks guys!
Old 08-17-2024, 07:27 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

You may want to check to see if there are any clubs in your area. Joining a club gives you other people to fly with along with training. Unfortunately the number of suppliers of goods in our hobby is getting rather small, a club is a good resource to barter among club members for items that may no longer be available or difficult to find.
Old 08-18-2024, 03:35 AM
soupninja

The most disappointing thing I have found since returning to the hobby is the shops are gone, and clubs have dwindled to near nothing. I am missing the stops I used to make at the Hobby shops and the friends that I have made at the clubs. I think both items are victims of the internet sales pressures. It is a shame
Old 08-19-2024, 05:01 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by soupninja
The most disappointing thing I have found since returning to the hobby is the shops are gone, and clubs have dwindled to near nothing. I am missing the stops I used to make at the Hobby shops and the friends that I have made at the clubs. I think both items are victims of the internet sales pressures. It is a shame
We lost(or at least are losing)at least two shops, in my area, over the last 18 months. One shop(the best in the area IMHO) was priced out when the site management was offered roughly three times the rent for the space by another business. The hobby shop owner was given the chance to match the rent amount and, when they couldn't match it, they lost their lease. A second one has been driven out of business due to lack of law enforcement. They have been ripped off so many times that the own decided to call it quits. They are shutting down next month so, after that, I'll be forced into a 40+ mile drive to the next closest shop or will have to do my shopping on line