Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2024, 05:56 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts

Stop the world I want to get off!

For many years I've used Sensodyne toothpaste. I'm not sure whether it's available stateside, neither do I know where it's made but you can buy it in both England and France. My cousin, a dental sugeon, recommends it so that's good enough for me.

Once upon a time there was only one sort of Sensodyne toothpaste then they introduced toothpaste for smokers, gentle whitening toothpaste and another sort which was supposed to make your teeth stronger. I was in the supermarket the other day and I needed some more toothpaste so I grabbed a box of Sensodyne not noticing the small black rectangle on the box. When I started to use it, the toothpaste came out of the tube black! I kid you not, jet black! Apparently charcoal is good for the teeth. It leaves grey marks on my white towels. I hope they come out in the wash!

Everything is going so fast these days! I can't keep up with things.

PS. After leaving the carburetter in a jar of glow fuel overnight, i managed to dismantle it this morning. Having cleaned and oiled everything i started up the OS 40SR this morning on the test bench. It ran very well but I doubt that I'll find an immediate use for it for I have at least four more serviceable two strokes from an Irvine 39 to an Irvine 53 none of which are urrently installed in a model.
Old 08-12-2024, 06:27 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 283 Likes on 245 Posts

Sensodyne toothpaste is a common toothpaste in the states for sensitive teeth. I have started using a prescription toothpaste made by Colgate my dentist recommends. It never hurts to have an extra engine standing by.
Old 08-15-2024, 02:03 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Yesterday was a superb flying day and half a dozen of us turned up.

Benoit flew the green and white model which had been given to us by some grieving widow. He's installed a modern radio and a large OS two stroke. It flies it magnificently with great presence.

Being a French flying field there is always at least one Baron in attendance. Francois is perhaps the best builder in the club.

I flew my electric powered Super 60 and my Calmato Alpha. Chalk and cheese I know.

I had just finished repairing the Super 60 having crashed it on take-off last time out through using too much power. This time it took off alright and climbed out then it turned to the right, I became disorientated and the model crashed in the adjacent field snapping off the nose. I put it down to pilot error.

Then I flew the Calmato. It flew ok but I am flying it rather quickly. I have not yet managed to land it on our tarmac runway. My landings are rather hot at the moment but the model has survived and no I did not crash it into the maize! The OS 46 AX is turning a Bolly 10.5 x 7 prop. Perhaps an 11 x 6 would be better.

It seems that I can fly a sports model but not a basic trainer! Oh well I have a couple of unemployed little four strokes in my cupboard, maybe I'll convert it.

The dogs enjoyed themselves.

Old 08-15-2024, 04:37 AM
FlyerInOKC

David, you are just bound and determined to re-kit the Super 60! Sounds like a lot of fun I'm green with envy!

Mike
Old 08-20-2024, 10:49 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I thought tht some of you gentlemen would be interested in this. I was there! I rode my motor cycle over 100 miles, (160kms) to see the last flight of this aircraft. The trip back home was very cold!

Old 08-20-2024, 12:24 PM
FlyerInOKC

But I'll bet it was worth freezing your buns off!
Old 08-21-2024, 07:45 AM
mgnostic

Received 101 Likes on 86 Posts

I saw the video as well. I woud definitely drive a hundred miles to see such an aircraft. We have a restored Curtiss Jenny locally. I got to see it fly and have a closeup look at it before it was hung up for display at the local airport. One of the local club members was part of the group that was helping to maintain the Jenny and he actually got to go for a ride in the front seat.
Old 08-21-2024, 08:51 AM
Flicker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi David,

It looks like the link has vanished..

Bob
Old 08-22-2024, 12:25 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Sorry Bob it works for me.

I have been getting on with the Galaxy Models Mystic build. I have moved the servos to a more conventional position because when mounted under the tailplane the c/g was too far to the rear. I've used a carbon fibre tube as the elevator pushrod, and installed a closed loop to actuate the rudder. I've had to patch the holes in the rear fuselage where the servos were originally mounted. The elevator fouled the rudder so two strips had to be cut from the elevator and I've built a hatch under the tank bay. There is further cosmetic work to do but having borrowed the club's c/g apparatus again I've discovered that with the servos above the wing and the rx battery well forward, I can fit the pilot into the cockpit and still have the c/g in the correct position. This is reassuring for he was quite expensive! I still need to connect up the throttle pushrod and the aileron pushrods to the servos in the wing. No photographs because my camera has broken, so has the stylus on the hi-fi and I know which one will have priority but here are a couple of old pictures to be getting on with!

I hope to maiden it within the next two weeks. I'll get the club's photographer to film it.

Old 08-22-2024, 04:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

Great looking airplane!
Old 08-22-2024, 07:00 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I was also at Old Warden to see the last flight of the Vintage Aviator's RE8 and Albatros DV.

Old 08-22-2024, 08:23 AM
donnyman

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Looking at these machines it is amazing that they were lethal articles of war..... so delicate!
Old 08-22-2024, 09:37 PM
David John Davis

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Looking at these machines it is amazing that they were lethal articles of war..... so delicate!

Yes and they caught fire for a pastime and there were no parachutes then.
Old 08-23-2024, 07:27 AM
mgnostic

Originally Posted by David John Davis
Yes and they caught fire for a pastime and there were no parachutes then.
Truly, pressurized fuel tanks and nitrate dope are a fire looking for a place to happen. I'm always amazed at the way people are photographed smoking around the planes in those old photos. Chemically, nitrate dope isn't that far from smokeless gunpowder. Dried dope burns really well.
Old 08-23-2024, 11:01 AM
donnyman

Smoking around aircraft isn't the swiftest thing to do for the reasons you stated. Having used aircraft dope,fuel etc. I can say they are all very flammable, the most dangerous is fuel, it always puts off fumes and that is what starts the burning process easiest. dope is a bad one also but is less a problem once it dries, now it's fumes is a flash fire looking for a place to explode. what set the aircraft on fire in the air was incendiary bullets, the fuel and doped fabric was the first to go up in flame. No parachutes..??? forget about it! too heavy for the birds to carry which limited maneuverability.

I compare the early full scale birds much the same as our models, we started with wood, paper, and dope just as they did but they used a fabric which we now use (Coverite). weak engines were the norm then and our early engines
were rather puny also. even the construction techniques resembled. The evolution of materials is a world all unto itself. it comes to my mind the Japanese had a type of aluminum that was stronger and lighter than ours that they used in their aircraft though it corrode more easily

The past few weeks has seen a improvement in my "decrepitness" I was even able to spend several hours in my shop recently. Thanks for asking.
The following 2 users liked this post by donnyman:
David John Davis (08-23-2024), Flicker (08-26-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 10:37 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Flew my Baron yesterday. I took two more models with me but did not bother with those. I only had to clean one model at the end of the day! My dog enjoyed herself chasing balls which evryone threw for her.

I have a busy day in prospect helping one of my dog-walking ladies to move house. Must get on and empty the van!

I plan to maiden the Mystic on Wednesday (Post 12459.)

Have any of you guys been flying?

The following users liked this post:
Flicker (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 04:22 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds like a great weekend David!
Old 08-27-2024, 01:07 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I am in the habit of getting up at about six o'clock in the morning, making a mug of tea and having a look at the internet on the laptop. There are lots of flies about just at the moment and two of them were buzzing around the bedroom in a most annoying manner. I gave them a couple of bursts of fly killer from an aerosol. Absorbed in some aeromodelling website I completely forgot about them until I took a swig of tea and felt something solid in my mouth. It was one of the flies! With its dying breath it had bravely exacted revenge by plunging into my tea! I spat it out and made another mug of tea.
I hope it isn't going to be one of those days!
Old 08-27-2024, 05:12 AM
donnyman

Revenge of the flies.
Old 08-27-2024, 07:01 AM
FlyerInOKC

Just think of it as a little extra protein!
Old 08-27-2024, 12:09 PM
mgnostic

Although this question is directed mostly at David John Davis/Telemaster Sales I would be interested in an answer from anyone who is familiar with English as spoken in the British Isles. As we do these days, I watch a lot of videos on the internet. Increasingly, many of these videos seem to have a script that is being run through a text to voice program. Once in a while the narrator is a live person but they usually apologize in advance for mangling the pronunciation of unfamiliar words. Yesterday I watched a video on art that discussed Marcel Duchamp, the fellow that hung a toilet on the wall and called it art. The narrator pronounced urinal "your-EYE-nal" with a strong emphasis on the middle syllabal rather than "your-in-ull" as I am used to hearing it. I wouldm't have thought to say much about it but I just watched a video on the Fairey Battle and the narrator pronounced Blenheim as in Bristol Blenheim as blen-hEYEm, again with the emphasis on the eye sound. I was of the impression that it is pronounced blen-emm. Since it had strayed into the topic of airplanes and we occasionally discuss things that are off topic I thought I would ask. Does any real person speak like that? I'm just curious. Disclaimer: I'm from the Texas/Okalhoma border so I sound like an extra in a cheap coyboy movie.
Old 08-27-2024, 12:53 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Mgnostic the Bristol Blenheim and Beaufort were both named after eighteen century battles. Blenheim is located in southern Germany and though the English would pronounce Blenheim as "Blen-emm," I happen to be able to speak German so the phonetic pronunciation in German is BlenHEYEM!"

Americans tend to pronounce every syllable, so the city of Birmingham Alabama is pronounced BirmingHAM whilst the largest city in the English Midlands is pronounced Birmingum!

You may be interested in the following contributionn by a young stand-up comedian from the north-east of England. Subtitles help you to understand his accent. WARNING: the final word in his presentation may cause offence.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1027562968753273

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 08-27-2024 at 01:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mgnostic (08-28-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 01:17 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I hope that i can build and fly as well s this guy if I make it to 82! https://www.facebook.com/reel/1027562968753273

I've six years to go!
Old 08-27-2024, 03:05 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Mgnostic the Bristol Blenheim and Beaufort were both named after eighteen century battles. Blenheim is located in southern Germany and though the English would pronounce Blenheim as "Blen-emm," I happen to be able to speak German so the phonetic pronunciation in German is BlenHEYEM!"

Americans tend to pronounce every syllable, so the city of Birmingham Alabama is pronounced BirmingHAM whilst the largest city in the English Midlands is pronounced Birmingum!

You may be interested in the following contributionn by a young stand-up comedian from the north-east of England. Subtitles help you to understand his accent. WARNING: the final word in his presentation may cause offence.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1027562968753273
As Wendy Bagwell used to say "Now this is a fact with my hand up if I had to die tonight!" Back in 2000 I was driving over-the-road for Werner Enterprises, one of the largest trucking companies in America. I had a load (I don't recall exactly what it was) for the US Foodservice warehouse in Everett, Massachusetts. Everett is located on the north side of Boston Harbor. There was a sign telling delivery drivers to turn their CB radios to a certain channel, so I did. I had gotten parked and was waiting for my turn to get into the dock. The lady in the office called me on the CB and asked "Hey, Werner, do you need a hyulumpa?"
I thought to myself "What in the world is a 'hyulumpa', and why does she think I need one?" I responded "I'm sorry, ma'am, I didn't catch that. Could you repeat it?"
"I said 'do you need a hyulumpa?'"
I was still totally confused, so I said "Ma'am, I'm from the mid-west and I'm not used to this wonderful Boston accent you folks here have. Could you repeat that one more time, slowly?"
In a very exasperated voice, she replied "I say-ed: Do.... you.... need.... to.... hya.... a lumpa?"
Knowing that Bostonian's do not pronounce the letter 'R' when they speak, I finally understood what she was asking! I told her "Yes. Yes, I will need to hire a lumper." A lumper is a day laborer that unloads trucks. Werner wanted us to use them whenever possible so we didn't use up our available work hours.
But as God is my witness, I had no idea what a hyulumpa was!

The following 4 users liked this post by flyboy2610:
bisco (09-03-2024), David John Davis (08-27-2024), Flicker (08-31-2024), mgnostic (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 12:09 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I'm pleased to be able to report that the Mystic has been built. It's taken me three and a half years to get to this stage. So much for a quick build!

I plan to give it an engine test this afternoon and to test fly it if it's not too windy. Calmer weather is forecast for tomorrow and for some days afterwards but a model as big, heavy and streamlined as the Mystic will certainly penetrate a wind speed of 15-20kph (9-12mph) may be beneficial on the landing approach

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.