Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

hobbywing 1080 esc?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 07:28 AM
hannah76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hobbywing 1080 esc?

I have a RJ speed pan car with... hobbywing 1080 esc (2020 year) , motor is DYN1171 and 7.2v NImH.

It seems to overheat...suspecting the esc...? It runs for a few mins, then stops... after a few seconds it will go. Esc cooling fins are quite hot to the touch.

Thoughts?

Thx!!!
Old 08-10-2024, 03:11 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts

initial thought is check the gearing. when electrics get hot and/or get hot fast its usually do to load. having the car geared to high will do that.
driving conditions can cause excess heat, lots of hard accelerating and breaking. or if its just really hot outside it'll cause extra heat.
extra driveline friction can cause extra heat, although in a pan car that's not likely. but still, check the gear mesh and make sure it's not to tight.
when was the last time you cleaned/sprayed out the motor? iv had situations where a really dirty motor was causing inefficiency and extra heat (as well as poor performance)
this one my sound dumb but iv done it, make sure you're not running the ESC in reverse.
The following users liked this post:
hannah76 (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 05:40 AM
hannah76

Awesome info.... thank you!!! I will check all these things, but I did not think about the motor getting dirty. That may very well be the culprit.
The car has been quite dirty multiple times, but I have not cleaned the motor at all.

These are my boys cars... they race in the driveway. Do you just spray the motor out with electronics cleaner or just air?

Thanks again suburban hooligan!
Old 08-12-2024, 04:16 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts

iv been cleaning motors with ether non chlorinated Brakleen (brake cleaner) or occasionally carburetor cleaner for decades. its like half the price of the motor cleaner you can get at hobby shops.
just remember to relube the bearings/bushings afterword's. you can use pretty much anything along the lines of 3 in 1 oil or spay lubricant's that don't evaporate.
Old 08-13-2024, 04:41 AM
hannah76

Perfect! I have Brakleen, carb cleaner, and 3 in 1 already. I'll put them to work.

Thanks again! I'll let you know how it works out!