Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New Crew for the Pershing Tank

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Crew for the Pershing Tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2024, 09:14 AM
Tankhobby

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Default New Crew for the Pershing Tank

You probably recognize the figures. I decided to make the Kelly and Oddball figures several weeks ago and I had the Telly figure although I think I will get a better head sculpt for him. Took them out for a ride in the Pershing.
Old 08-17-2024, 12:18 PM
Crius

Received 318 Likes on 262 Posts

Wow. Wow. Gotta, gotta have. I have that tank (the Imex/Taigen all metal edition, that came with metal tracks, sprockets and hatches), to which I've added metal suspension arms, metal roadwheels with rubber tires. idlers w/bearings, and lots of cool stowage, now all I need is a crew and you have the ultimate crew. I there anyway to get a set, or even just the heads?
Old 08-17-2024, 03:15 PM
Tankhobby

Hi Gary,

These are 1/6 scale figures. The tank is my 1/6 scale Armortek Pershing. It would be nice if they were available in 1/16 scale.
The Guffy figure (Telly) is the common 21st Century tanker figure. I just changed his uniform a bit. The other two are scratch built with Kelly a painted head sculpt and Oddball a head sculpt I had to paint . The uniform pieces took a while to find and get, especially the leather jacket, pilot's helmet and gloves.
I'm thinking of getting a better head sculpt for Telly.
Old 08-18-2024, 10:51 AM
RC_BobM

Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Hey Nick
You mention in AT forum you 3D print 1/6 figures. Can you share any details? I've been trying to print some 1/6 figures with not much luck. I found some 1/16 models which scale nicely but they don't like to be printed hollow. So the prints usually fail. Just curious what you have made - perhaps animatronic versions?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 08-18-2024, 02:43 PM
Tankhobby

Hi Bob,

I downloaded some tanker images from the Internet, maybe 3D cults? I don't remember. But I scaled them to 1/6 scale and they printed OK. Since I scaled them up the detail isn't that great. I still need to work on the eyes. Not animatronic, not yet for me although the post on the Armortek forum looks like a good project. For now I will probably stick with stuffing a 1/6 scale action figure into the hatch. I think the action figures look better than the 3D printed ones but that might be my fault in not spending enough time adding detail the the printed figures.

Old 08-18-2024, 03:05 PM
Tankhobby

This is where I got the files:

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-mo.../tank-crew-usa

Last edited by Tankhobby; 08-18-2024 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-18-2024, 07:25 PM
RC_BobM

Thanks Nick. Yeah I have a big resin printer, but they are difficult. Many models are not made to be hollowed. Those look pretty good. Face painting is not my forte either. I'm going to use these German heads as drivers in trucks and RSO. Resin printed and scaled from 1/16.

Old 08-19-2024, 01:14 PM
Tankhobby

They look good! The eyes are way better than mine.

I have two filament printers and have been waiting on purchasing a resin printer. I don't like the fact that the resin is toxic and am hoping some eco friendly product will come out.
Old 08-20-2024, 02:06 PM
RC_BobM

Nick,
There are water washable resins but I wouldn't put it down the drain. But yeah the fumes are kinda bad, and my skin does not like it - so have to wear gloves. Like all things there is a learning curve with resin too. I'm still trying to get an ASA FDM print to come out right too. LOL
Bob
Old 08-20-2024, 05:09 PM
tankme

Received 225 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by RC_BobM
Nick,
There are water washable resins but I wouldn't put it down the drain. But yeah the fumes are kinda bad, and my skin does not like it - so have to wear gloves. Like all things there is a learning curve with resin too. I'm still trying to get an ASA FDM print to come out right too. LOL
Bob
Well, good news Bob, I have been using Bambu Labs PETG-HF filament in leu of ASA lately. This stuff prints almost as good as PLA for details, has heat tolerance, and claims some UV protection. It's my new go to filament for everything if it's printed in FDM. If bought as a refill in bulk (4+ rolls), it's like $14/kg which to me is worth it since the amount of waste is less due to less failed prints.
Old 08-21-2024, 10:46 AM
RC_BobM

Derek
Tell me your secret with PETG. I find it warps almost as bad as ASA. I'm using BBL ASA and PETG Basic, using a dryer during printing, and BBL profiles for both - and find them both bad for warpage. Bed adhesion is great, but the material warps and pulls the build plate into a taco. This even with infill at 10-15%.

It sounds like folks are using improvised "clips" to hold build plate to machine with these materials. Will try this, otherwise you can have my ASA and PETG.
Bob
Old 08-21-2024, 11:56 AM
tankme

Received 225 Likes on 181 Posts

I can PM you some info Bob when I get home from work. I don't want to derail this thread.
Old 08-21-2024, 01:03 PM
RC_BobM

Yep thanks Derek. Apologies Nick for derailing your thread,
Old 08-22-2024, 09:24 AM
RichJohnson

Received 385 Likes on 243 Posts

Nice figures,
The following users liked this post:
Tankhobby (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 02:23 PM
Tankhobby

No problem it's interesting stuff. Can I get the info too? I haven't printed anything in almost a year and have used PLA+. It would be good to know of better options.