Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Prop size, RPM for 26 cc two stroke.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Prop size, RPM for 26 cc two stroke.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2024, 11:27 PM
Jim.Thompson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prop size, RPM for 26 cc two stroke.

I have a 26 cc converted 2 stroke industrial engine, fitted to a new plane.
I have it fitted with a 17 x 6 propeller. (Wood Turnigy brand).
Running on 98 octave gas with Stihl Ultra oil at around 33: 1 mix ratio.
I have read 8600 RPM using an optical tacho while the plane is tethered on the ground.
This seems a bit high, but I am relatively inexperienced with small two stroke gas engines around this size.

Is this engine under propped? Would it be better to try it with a 17 x 8 prop?

Jim.
Old 08-23-2024, 07:51 AM
mgnostic

Received 101 Likes on 86 Posts

It really depends on the particular engine. My 26 cc Zenoah is happy with an 18 x 6 prop. My converted Craftsman happily pulled a 18-10 prop. In fact it seemed to like a heavier plastic prop. It was still runing strong after 15 years when I sold the N-17 it was mounted on. Rather than saying this or that size of prop I would suggest propping to top out around 7500 rpm. With a converted rather than a purpose built engine you may just have to experiment to see where it seems happy.
Old 08-23-2024, 09:30 PM
Jim.Thompson

Thanks for the reply.
That all makes sense to me.
I will try a larger one.
Old 08-25-2024, 08:53 PM
Jim.Thompson

Default Larger diameter prop - good!

Hi Matt,

I have fitted an 18 x 6 propeller and tuned the engine up. It peaks at around 7500 RPM, which is what you suggest.
I will now do a static thrust test (when an assistant turns up for safety) and post back.
Thanks again.

Jim.
Old 08-26-2024, 02:26 AM
Jim.Thompson

The static thrust test resulted in 6.0 kg thrust.
The exercise was a success!
Ready now for flight testing in a couple of weeks.
Old 08-26-2024, 08:16 AM
mgnostic

Just curious, what will that engine be pulling around?
Old 08-26-2024, 09:56 PM
1967brutus

Received 95 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
The static thrust test resulted in 6.0 kg thrust.
The exercise was a success!
Ready now for flight testing in a couple of weeks.
For the prop and rpm that sounds about right, but for a 26 cc twostroke, it's a fair bit on the low side, I get similar performance from a 26 cc fourstroke not known to be a power monster.

Normally, these industrial 26 cc engines should have no issues with 10K, and in general they peak power higher up in the RPM range.

I would strongly suggest to repeat that pull test with the earlier fitted 17 x 6 prop as well, my propcalculator suggests your engine delivers almost 20% more HP on it, it will most likely have about 1 kilo MORE static pull, and airspeed will be better as well, which is a factor when towing gliders.

These numbers suggest that your engine with the 18 x 6 is running way below its powerband and performance-wise prefers to rev higher. An educated guess would suggest best performance around 10K (based on general experience AKA gutfeelz)

Of course, that will come at the cost of higher fuel consumption (not really important) and an increased noise level (possibly very important). No idea what the local regulations are, so that can be a consideration.
Old 08-27-2024, 07:04 PM
Jim.Thompson

Originally Posted by mgnostic
Do you mean, what will it be towing?
Or, do you mean, what aircraft is it powering?

"pulling around"???

Originally Posted by 1967brutus
For the prop and rpm that sounds about right, but for a 26 cc twostroke, it's a fair bit on the low side, I get similar performance from a 26 cc fourstroke not known to be a power monster.

Normally, these industrial 26 cc engines should have no issues with 10K, and in general they peak power higher up in the RPM range.

I would strongly suggest to repeat that pull test with the earlier fitted 17 x 6 prop as well, my propcalculator suggests your engine delivers almost 20% more HP on it, it will most likely have about 1 kilo MORE static pull, and airspeed will be better as well, which is a factor when towing gliders.

These numbers suggest that your engine with the 18 x 6 is running way below its powerband and performance-wise prefers to rev higher. An educated guess would suggest best performance around 10K (based on general experience AKA gutfeelz)
I understand the logic Bert. However, what prompted me to try a larger diameter prop was the fact that I had trouble tuning the high needle setting at max throttle.
My local professional engine rebuilder and small engine mechanic suggested this was the reason; it was not loading up sufficiently.
This man has been my willing and patient guide throughout every one of my two stroke conversions, and small engine challenges.
I have learned most of what I know about them due to him.
Accordingly, I listen to everything he says.

However, based on your very cogent reasoning above, I will go back to the 17 x 6 propeller and see if I can tune it, if I am able to do so, I will do another static thrust test.
More later.

Thanks again,

Jim.

Last edited by Jim.Thompson; 08-27-2024 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2024, 08:05 PM
Jim.Thompson

"pulling around"???

Originally Posted by 1967brutus

I understand the logic Bert. However, what prompted me to try a larger diameter prop was the fact that I had trouble tuning the high needle setting at max throttle.
My local professional engine rebuilder and small engine mechanic suggested this was the reason; it was not loading up sufficiently.

However, based on your very cogent reasoning above, I will go back to the 17 x 6 propeller and see if I can tune it, if I am able to do so, I will do another static thrust test.

Thanks again,

Bert.

Old 08-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Jim.Thompson

Bingo!
You are on the money here - again Bert!
I fitted the 17 x 6 propeller again. This time I saw the following figures:

1. RPM around 8600 - 8700.
2. Static thrust was around 10.5 kg!................Bouncing around a bit, but certainly over 10 kg!

The aircraft is under 5 kg. (I will weigh again when next I fit the wings.).

Wow!

Many thanks for your wisdom!

Jim.
Old 08-28-2024, 03:39 AM
1967brutus

Received 95 Likes on 87 Posts

I did NOT expect a 10 kg pull... But if so, the better...
Old 08-28-2024, 08:04 AM
mgnostic

Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson

"pulling around"???

I meant powering, lol. Most aircraft being pulled through the air by their propeller. Unless of course, it is a pusher.
Old 08-28-2024, 01:14 PM
Jim.Thompson

I meant powering, lol. Most aircraft being pulled through the air by their propeller. Unless of course, it is a pusher.
This aircraft shown in the attachment.

The following users liked this post:
mgnostic (08-29-2024)