Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New to Pattern and electrics.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2024, 02:52 PM
PJFaller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Pattern and electrics.

Thank you in advance to all that reply…….

I was big in iMac about 10 years ago and got out of the hobby because I just didn’t have the time with my kids school and sports.
now they are out of the house ( and wallet ) and I am jumping back in. I have always loved pattern flying so in bought an airplane.
BJ Craft anthem 2, dualsky XM6355DA-28 180KV, Falcon 22x12 propeller, and the dualsky motor mount for the engine.
i am thinking of using all MKS servos as recommended on F3a unlimited. I am going to use a powerbox core system for the airplane.

i do have 2 warm up airplanes before i get my fingers on the anthem.

here are my questions…… again I am completely new to the new battery technology……

it looks like a 100MAH speed controller would be ideal…….which one?
also the LIPO situation….im thinking 50c 5s 5000mah x2 in the airplane

forgive me for my lack of knowledge but I believe with the two packs, one will go to the radio and the other to the speed controller. Is that how it works?
it’s so hard to find the correct description on how to set up these airplanes. For me when I flew previously, for a 40% IMAC airplane it was one pack for the motor and one pack for the receiver. That’s why I’m thinking one battery for speed controller and one for radio.

i am in the Daytona Beach area and would love some feedback.

thanks Again!

Old 08-24-2024, 01:20 AM
SAB

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi,

Firstly you appear to have a motor that designed for 12S operation but you wish to use it with 10S (2x5S) ?
The version of the motor you have suitable for 10S has a KV of 205 (XM6355DA-25)
Secondly there is no need to run 50C LiPo's in pattern, only adds unnecessary weight (in general as C rating increases so does battery weight) . I run, as do several others I know, Hacker 5000mA 20C batteries with no issue.
Third, as you have chosen a Dualsky motor then the Dualsky Summit 100A F3A ESC would be a good match. If you haven't already check out Juan Rombaut's YouTube channel Rombaut RC he is a sponsored Dulsky F3A flyer and has set up videos for the summit and dualsky motors, he also flies the Anthem too. He came 4th at the recent European F3a championships so he is a top flyer.

Steve
Old 08-24-2024, 08:06 AM
PJFaller

Thanks Steve!

should I return the motor and change it? Or, will it work with 2 x 5s? I have no problem returning it if it’s not the correct setup. It seemed on the F3a website that that was the preferred motor for the airplane. I have been looking for the Summit 100 esc, but the only place to seem to have it is Alibaba. I’ve never ordered from them before and I hear it could be quite a bit of a wait for shipping. Any other good places to get one?

I also plan on using 2 receivers with a central box from powerbox. Never used on of these setups before. Does that sound reasonable?

like I said, I am brand new to pattern. Getting into electrics for the first time, and the last thing I want to do is hurt the equipment.

thanks for all the help!

ANY PATTERN GUYS IN THE VOLUSIA COUNTY AREA IN FLORIDA…….

enjoy the day!
Old 08-24-2024, 11:04 AM
SAB

Personally I would return the motor and get the version designed for 10S. The motor you have will work on 10S but will be considerably down on power.
Agree that you should seek out pattern flyers local to you
I haven't used Alibaba so cannot comment on using them, surprised you cannot get the ESC from within the US, where did you get the motor from ? - F3A Unlimited, Aloft hobbies & NorthwestRC are the listed Dualsky US retailers.
Although common in IMAC it's not common to run a central box in pattern, primarily due to weight considerations also pattern planes don't require such power hungry servo's - just precise and repeatable ones !

Steve
Old 08-24-2024, 11:51 AM
PJFaller

Steve -

that’s great information. So much has changed. I did some research today and now know the motor has to be returned.
I am looking into the Hacker Turnado Senstrol XGear which I probably won’t grow out of. They have a combo with a speed controller. Seems like a simple setup. And, it’s for 10s. Turns a bigger prop for downline braking as well. Agree on the central box. Just a straight forward setup for weight purposes.

thanks for the input. I can use as much as I can get.

pete
Old 08-25-2024, 02:24 AM
SAB

Pete,

The Hacker motor you are looking at is an unusual choice. if you can't find the Dualsky ESC then the Jeti spin 99 or Jeti Mezon 130/135 ESC's are fairly popular in pattern/F3A
The Hacker Sensotrol system is a governor system - by far the most popular governor system in pattern/F3A is the D3 ESC, F3A Unlimited sell this. I would highly recommend you reach out to Mike Muller owner of F3A unlimited to discuss your motor & ESC needs
If not done already you should check out RCU Electric pattern forum, lots more electric specific info there.
Your original power set up was "conventional" and probably the best way to start in pattern, beyond that there are governor ESC's that require a modified flying style (throttle control) and then there are contra drives that add complication and expense. Both governor ESC's and contra drives are currently very popular in F3A, particularly at the top end but are not a requirement especially if you are just starting in pattern.

Steve
Old 08-25-2024, 08:56 AM
PJFaller

Thanks Steve!
I am going to call him this week. I’m sure he can match me up with the right things to be successful.
Just making sure I don’t burry myself before I start.
Didn’t realize I could reach out to Mike Muller. That would have probably saved me hours of research.
Old 08-26-2024, 10:20 AM
YmeF3A

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the dualsky motor on 10s with a 22x12 Falcon. Lovely combo. Many power. I did it in combination with a D3 esc from Adam. It's a light but very powerful esc. And don't want to change again.
it has governer so you have much brake performance
Old 09-05-2024, 09:39 AM
BJM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a good group of Pattern flyers up here in Jacksonvlle. Come on up to the Gateway field next weekend to the aerobatic training event.
Billy
904 705 2484