Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito FG-60R3

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 02:54 AM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

The radio quit and I crashed my Waco a while back. Amazingly enough it went in upside down in tall brush and aside from the wings it wasn't damaged. Here's the thing: it didn't even break the prop! I was able to get new wings and get it back in the air.

But even though the prop wasn't broken I've notice the engine seems to run differently now. It still starts as good as ever and runs well but the first flight of the day it almost always quits in flight. I adjust the mixture every time on the first flight of the day but apparently I never get it rich enough and it seems to die lean. After a dead stick landing I richen it up a little and it flies great the rest of the day.

The mixture also seems more "vague" now. The carb setup on these Saito radials has always been weird (with the high needle not doing much of anything and the low needle doing pretty much everything) but now the low needle adjustment can move more than half a turn without affecting much of a change. It was always a little vague but not this much.

I also has started doing something I had to get used to on my big gasser (DLE) airplanes: it does a "deep rpm dive" coming off of full throttle to idle. It did not do this before the crash. This is where it dies in flight - it dives too deep and quits. The idle is set plenty high but it dives on the way down.

Weird. Otherwise, after the first flight (and dead stick) of the day it runs fantastic!

Last edited by mitchilito; 10-13-2023 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2023, 02:04 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Check the run out on the prop shaft. Replace the prop and remove the spinner if you have one installed. Make sure the fuel tank hasn't moved and replace the fuel lines in the tank as well external lines.
If that doesn't fix it rebuild the carb.
Sparky
Old 10-20-2023, 12:36 AM
mitchilito

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Check the run out on the prop shaft. Replace the prop and remove the spinner if you have one inAllstalled. Make sure the fuel tank hasn't moved and replace the fuel lines in the tank as well external lines.
If that doesn't fix it rebuild the carb.
Sparky
All good advice, Sparky.

I suspect the carb but I know BUPKISS about this weird Saito "pumper" carb and I'm not really looking forward to breaking it open. Unless it gets worse I'm going to live with it.
Old 10-22-2023, 10:50 PM
JieM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The FG60R3 carburetor does not have an internal filter (unlike the Walbros). And if small debris or dust enters with the gasoline, it is almost impossible to clean it properly. These impurities then block the internal conduits and prevent correct adjustment of the carburetor.
Only one solution: a lot of patience to clean the carburetor.

JM
Old 11-20-2023, 03:31 AM
mitchilito

Originally Posted by JieM
The FG60R3 carburetor does not have an internal filter (unlike the Walbros). And if small debris or dust enters with the gasoline, it is almost impossible to clean it properly. These impurities then block the internal conduits and prevent correct adjustment of the carburetor.
Only one solution: a lot of patience to clean the carburetor.

JM
I am depending on the felt clunk that I have in the tank to filter the fuel but I definitely should have a filter up by the carburetor also - which I don't.

It's running well enough at the moment but some day () I'll clean this crazy carb and install a filter also.
Old 11-20-2023, 05:17 AM
Timbers
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitchilito
I am depending on the felt clunk that I have in the tank to filter the fuel but I definitely should have a filter up by the carburetor also - which I don't.

It's running well enough at the moment but some day () I'll clean this crazy carb and install a filter also.
I was running a felt clunk on my FG-21 and fibers from the clunk got into the carb and it was causing all sorts of problems like unable to get a consistant tune, lean runs, etc. The FG-60R3 is the same type of carb. Maybe order a rebuild kit from Horizon and open it up and clean it out.
Old 11-20-2023, 06:53 AM
1967brutus

Received 95 Likes on 87 Posts

I would not do that if I could give my 2 cents. My experience with additional inline filters in small gassers is that sooner or later larger bubbles of vapour collect in the filtercasing, releasing during high G or negative G manouvres and causing running irregularities at the exact moments you least want them.

Originally Posted by Timbers
I was running a felt clunk on my FG-21 and fibers from the clunk got into the carb and it was causing all sorts of problems like unable to get a consistant tune, lean runs, etc. The FG-60R3 is the same type of carb. Maybe order a rebuild kit from Horizon and open it up and clean it out.
That is weird... I run extremely small gassers (down to .30 cu.in.) and the smaller they get the more senstive they are to even the tiniest of debris.
I have never had any issues with what you mention despite now at least 10 different of these set-ups with the feltclunks I use.

I have experienced problems with feltclunks as sold by HobbyKing and comparable outlets, I use exclusively these: https://i0.wp.com/www.justengines.co...24%2C324&ssl=1 and yet have to have the first issue with them.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:12 PM
JieM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys.
A video made a few days ago with an FG60R3 from 2014, therefore an engine from the 1st production series. This engine has over 60 hours of operation. Modifications made to this engine:
- compression rate reduced by increasing the thickness of the cylinder base gasket
- passage of gases through the bottom of the engine (crankshaft)
- modification of the ignition sequence (MMM ring)
Enjoy the purr of this engine running at 5000 rpm on this Stinson Reliant from Phoenix Model

JM
The following users liked this post:
Hyjinx (05-07-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 04:49 AM
mitchilito

Well, folks, I've been operating this engine for several seasons and I'm finally throwing in the towel! Yes, it can be made to run adequately, for the most part. But you know from the start that setting the carb mixture on this engine is a compromise when you only have ONE mixture needle to work with! Lately, for some reason that I cannot identify or fix, it has been almost impossible to keep running at low idle. (And, no, I don't need troubleshooting help here :-)

The gist of all this is that I"m finally going to do what I always wanted to do and that is install a Walbro carburetor on it so I have complete control of the mixture range - which you most assuredly do NOT have with the stock carb. The down side is that I will have to run an electric fuel pump to supply fuel to the carb. However, C&H (and Morris Mini Motors) both sell a nice, small, and relatively inexpensive fuel pump that runs directly off of the receiver.

Morris also sells a conversion package of these components but I am going to machine my own Walbro mount adaptor and insulator block (to prevent vapor lock - which I think is part of my problem now). I'm installing a Walbro off of the Stinger 15cc 2-cycle engine (google it if interested) of which I've used several in my past conversion projects and they run GREAT. I'll post pictures here as I go along.

Here's the heart of the problem. Can't wait to see it go!

Last edited by mitchilito; 05-28-2024 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-28-2024, 05:15 AM
rwijnhov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the exact same changes as @JieM (thanks again buddy) . My runs great also have ran more then 45l of fuel through it without any issue.
Old 05-28-2024, 01:41 PM
Hyjinx

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Well, folks, I've been operating this engine for several seasons and I'm finally throwing in the towel! Yes, it can be made to run adequately, for the most part. But you know from the start that setting the carb mixture on this engine is a compromise when you only have ONE mixture needle to work with! Lately, for some reason that I cannot identify or fix, it has been almost impossible to keep running at low idle. (And, no, I don't need troubleshooting help here :-)

The gist of all this is that I"m finally going to do what I always wanted to do and that is install a Walbro carburetor on it so I have complete control of the mixture range - which you most assuredly do NOT have with the stock carb. The down side is that I will have to run an electric fuel pump to supply fuel to the carb. However, C&H (and Morris Mini Motors) both sell a nice, small, and relatively inexpensive fuel pump that runs directly off of the receiver.

Morris also sells a conversion package of these components but I am going to machine my own Walbro mount adaptor and insulator block (to prevent vapor lock - which I think is part of my problem now). I'm installing a Walbro off of the Stinger 15cc 2-cycle engine (google it if interested) of which I've used several in my past conversion projects and they run GREAT. I'll post pictures here as I go along.

Here's the heart of the problem. Can't wait to see it go!
Hi Mitch. Please post your results. Been some complaining recently here about the walbros being flat in transition between the high and low circuits without an intermediate circuit on the larger radials. Interested to see if that shows up with this application. i don't seem to be experiencing it with my UMS 125. But i think the walbro on it is larger. Being a radial, i don't really "hot rod" the radials so fast transitions aren't really my bag, but i would still like to get your take on this. Hope your spring/summer is going well.
Aaron
Old 05-30-2024, 02:03 AM
mitchilito

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Hi Mitch. Please post your results. Been some complaining recently here about the walbros being flat in transition between the high and low circuits without an intermediate circuit on the larger radials. Interested to see if that shows up with this application. i don't seem to be experiencing it with my UMS 125. But i think the walbro on it is larger. Being a radial, i don't really "hot rod" the radials so fast transitions aren't really my bag, but i would still like to get your take on this. Hope your spring/summer is going well.
Aaron
I've chosen the smallest (venturi) Walbro available (WT962) in an effort to maximize transition control. This carb works GREAT on my OS Gemini 160 and 300 conversions. As a matter of fact I stole this carb and venturi right off the Gemini 300, complete with the crankcase oil re-breather fitting (on the intake horn) which I will hook up on this engine now. Yes, I take the waste oil discharge from the crankcase and port it back to the intake (through a fuel filter first). This adds considerably more oil to the intake charge - and keeps the airplane cleaner to boot. (you can just see the fitting on the bottom of the horn in one of the pics).

Gemini 300 conversion if you haven't already seen it:

The pump on top of the carb now has no function whatsoever in this installation. And I'll have to redirect the in fuel inlet which is easy - it's just a taper fit into the carb.

Last edited by mitchilito; 05-30-2024 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-30-2024, 05:04 AM
Hyjinx

The smaller carb definitely makes sense. Can you get away with no external pump on a lower vacuum radial crankcase and smaller venturi? I wonder if the triple may have greater vaccum with the less volumetric crankcase.
Old 05-31-2024, 02:06 AM
mitchilito

The smaller carb definitely makes sense. Can you get away with no external pump on a lower vacuum radial crankcase and smaller venturi? I wonder if the triple may have greater vaccum with the less volumetric crankcase.
I don't entirely understand your question but I'll say this: the walbro pump depends on a positive/negative pressure pulse to operate the pump membrane and the radial configuration (theoretically) doesn't create a cycling crankcase pulse. Saito uses the INTAKE pulse - which is very much weaker than a 2-cycle crankcase pulse - to operate their proprietary carbs on all their 4-cycle engines. Interestingly enough, the two I have, the RG60R3 and the FG-61TS boxer twin BOTH have the weird, main mixture needle characteristic where the main needle doesn't do much of anything at all. The FG61TS runs better on its one needle (the main needle has a little more authority) than the RG60 but in my opinion it would benefit from the walbro conversion as well, and it wouldn't need an external electric pump because it has PLENTY of crankcase pulse just like my Gemini conversions.

One downside of the RG60R3 conversion it the carb protrudes farther back toward the firewall. I had to do some serious firewall trimming!

Made a template. Here's a good pic of my crankcase rebreather too.

Blue tape refines the edges

Transferred to firewall

Last edited by mitchilito; 05-31-2024 at 02:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mitchilito:
Hyjinx (06-03-2024), JieM (05-31-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 11:44 AM
Hyjinx

Yeah Mitch. I was thinking with the smaller centralized crank case and just three cylinders with a smaller carb may excite the diaphragm enough to pulse operate without an external pump.
Old 06-04-2024, 02:25 AM
mitchilito

Well here's the final report: this carb conversion is ASTOUNDING. It started second flip off the bench and runs like a watch. Honestly, I have never had a walbro equipped engine run this well. This has to be a result of the super steady fuel supply the pump provides. Honestly, it almost seems like an electric motor - but sounds like a gnarly radial! I LOVE it. Plus, I can now choke it from the front of the airplane (I put the choke knob to come through the engine baffles) so you don't have to take off the canopy hatch to hand choke it.

The pump setup is a very simple and neat install that connects directly to a receiver channel and I put I on a switch so I can turn it off at will - which I do right after shutdown. The pump also has a speed (volume) adjustment on the back and while running the engine at full power I turned it down as much as possible until effected the mixture. Well, turns out it uses ALL the flow available from this pump. I will say this: I have a fairly restrictive T-fitting in the line which MIGHT be effecting this. But it's no big deal cuz, like I said, it runs amazing.

This carb came directly off my Gemini 300 gas conversion with no changes. I think the gemini runs great but if you let her idle for any length of time and then jam on the throttle she will load up with fuel and then sputter a little to get cleared out. No big deal, but this electric pump set up displays NONE of that behavior. Even after extended idling it will instantly go to full power without missing a beat. FANTASTIC!!

BIG hole in the firewall! Brass tubes on the right guide the mixture adjust screwdriver.

Pump to the left of the tank. Simple and effective.

Choke lever (on right of carb) rod exits through engine baffles. So convenient!

Last edited by mitchilito; 06-04-2024 at 02:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JieM (06-05-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 02:26 AM
mitchilito

Default Update

Let's call this the month and a half update - and there were some interesting developments!

As I said, this engine/carb conversion was running GREAT. And then the engine quit on me when the plane was low and upside down last week and caused a forced landing. The good news is, the plane wasn't damage too bad and is back good as new. The engine had given me some warnings by sputtering sometimes through the rolls but I just figured I needed to adjust the carb. But after I got the minor airframe damage fixed the engine clearly wasn't running right.

It would start and transition well but it would NOT peak out to full power. Long story short I checked every single thing that could be a cause including swapping walbro carbs but nothing made the slightest difference. I was FRUSTRATED. Then I thought of what Sherlock Holmes said, "when you've eliminated all the possible causes, look at the impossible ones!"

I run ASPEN (alkylate) fuel in all my model engines. It's not cheap but it doesn't' have all the horrible additives and water that regular pump gas has. The down side is it's expensive. But money's no object when it comes to our babies, right? Generally speaking I considered it impossible that the fuel could be bad but I mixed up a pint of regular pump gas and long story short - the engine was back to running like a TOP!! I thought back about that last batch of ASPEN and realized I just mixed it up. I have two cases (of quarts) so I dumped that fuel and mixed up another two quarts from the same box. I took it out yesterday and flew the living crap out of it and it is running so good I could cry!

After about a million flights of gasoline engines this is only the second time I've heard of the gasoline causing the problem.

OUCH

Good as new
Old 08-19-2024, 04:02 AM
Hyjinx

Hey Mitch. That's quite the deduction. Well played Sir. Nice to see dual Waco's in one place. I the old days, we blamed the gas first, then replaced the points, condenser and cap with wires and plugs. Lol.
Hey, which walbro part number are u using on this R-3. I am doing some Sherlocking on a problem with a Saito R -5 converted to gas. Trying to balance the needle spring to prevent the pump from overpressureing the valve and flooding the three idle and transition holes. Making normal tuning impossible.
Aaron-
Old 08-21-2024, 01:06 PM
mitchilito

Hey Mitch. That's quite the deduction. Well played Sir. Nice to see dual Waco's in one place. I the old days, we blamed the gas first, then replaced the points, condenser and cap with wires and plugs. Lol.
Hey, which walbro part number are u using on this R-3. I am doing some Sherlocking on a problem with a Saito R -5 converted to gas. Trying to balance the needle spring to prevent the pump from overpressureing the valve and flooding the three idle and transition holes. Making normal tuning impossible.
Aaron-
The carb that's on it is a WT962 Aaron. This is the carb that comes on the Stinger 15cc 2-stroke gasser. I also run them on my OS Gemini 160 and 300 twin gas conversions to great effect.

What kind of pump are you using? I'm using the little jewel that C&H sells which is working great. As I may have mentioned I have it on a switch whch I turn off whenever the engine isn't running.
Old 08-24-2024, 08:20 PM
Hyjinx

Hey Mitch
Adrian sent WA' s with two gas conversions. One on my Saito R5 and one on my Seidel 7-77. The 77 is proving out well with a TDS Micropumps. It was problematic tuning with the APS. The Saito is not happy with the emotech (APS). I bought the TDS and am impressed with it's simplicity and ultra low delivery capability.
Trying to stay with the APS for the Saito as the airframe is set up with it . Problem is balancing the inlet needle and seat spring to the engines need (which is minor). The WA spring is just letting the pump overrun the circuity and flood in the low end.
I obtained several spring lengths and strengths from a local shop that had the OEM Walbro springs. The WT series has a stronger spring than the WA. I've been working with Walbro tech's on the issue. They have been helpful. And a little surprised this usage is working at all with these external pumps lol.
Now retired, I'm busier than ever. Progress is a slow as pissing these days.
Hope your summer has been well. Had a boo boo with my Waco. Yours is on the assembly bench!
Old 08-26-2024, 02:56 AM
mitchilito

Hey Mitch
Adrian sent WA' s with two gas conversions. One on my Saito R5 and one on my Seidel 7-77. The 77 is proving out well with a TDS Micropumps. It was problematic tuning with the APS. The Saito is not happy with the emotech (APS). I bought the TDS and am impressed with it's simplicity and ultra low delivery capability.
Trying to stay with the APS for the Saito as the airframe is set up with it . Problem is balancing the inlet needle and seat spring to the engines need (which is minor). The WA spring is just letting the pump overrun the circuity and flood in the low end.
I obtained several spring lengths and strengths from a local shop that had the OEM Walbro springs. The WT series has a stronger spring than the WA. I've been working with Walbro tech's on the issue. They have been helpful. And a little surprised this usage is working at all with these external pumps lol.
Now retired, I'm busier than ever. Progress is a slow as pissing these days.
Hope your summer has been well. Had a boo boo with my Waco. Yours is on the assembly bench!
Okay, this is some fantastic information. I, too, have APS pumps, one of them on my Moki 300, and haven't had the spring "overpressure" yet. I can't remember the series number of the pump on my Moki 300 . . . . .

I had the Waco out again yesterday and as I said it is running just fantastically. I tried turning down the pump volume to see where it would affect the saito mixture and this time I got it at full low delivery volume and it still delivered plenty of fuel. I'm not sure why I had different results the first time I tried this. But I flew it all day and can't say enough good things about the power/transitions etc. What a fantastic airframe/engine combination this is.

Last edited by mitchilito; 08-26-2024 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-26-2024, 08:34 AM
Hyjinx

I concur fully Mitch. These Phoenix Waco's are the best radial test stands ever! Lol.
Black side down Brother, happy landings.
Old 08-29-2024, 04:59 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mitch, where are you getting your WT-962 carbs? They seem to be out of stock everywhere. Did you make your own carb adapter for the Saito 60?
Old 08-30-2024, 02:50 AM
mitchilito

Originally Posted by JeffH
Mitch, where are you getting your WT-962 carbs? They seem to be out of stock everywhere. Did you make your own carb adapter for the Saito 60?
I just went looking and sure enough they are out of stock where I've gotten both of mine: RCGFUSA. And yes, I machined my intake adapter out of bar stock. Morris Mini Motors in the UK can probably help you though, Jeff -
Old 09-05-2024, 04:11 AM
mitchilito

Okay, this is some fantastic information. I, too, have APS pumps, one of them on my Moki 300, and haven't had the spring "overpressure" yet. I can't remember the series number of the pump on my Moki 300 . . . . .

I had the Waco out again yesterday and as I said it is running just fantastically. I tried turning down the pump volume to see where it would affect the saito mixture and this time I got it at full low delivery volume and it still delivered plenty of fuel. I'm not sure why I had different results the first time I tried this. But I flew it all day and can't say enough good things about the power/transitions etc. What a fantastic airframe/engine combination this is.
Upon further reflection I realized that this is a different Walbro than the first one I had on it. As I said, the first one needed full output.

Just thought I'd add that to this conversation.