Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Traxxas blast mods

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Traxxas blast mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 06:05 AM
Vraneth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traxxas blast mods

Hey all.

working on making some mods to my blast. I have already started with a Velineon motor, Seaking 120a ESC, and some lipo's of course. And the boat was running SWEET. Not crazy fast, but it was handling really well and kicking up some great speed.

untill I went on the sea for a little bit. Now everything is fine apart from a few quirks. Most importantly the hatch needs sealing, the lack of decent seal swamped the boat FAST on small waves. This caused the ESC to stop working. I managed to get the boat going again later on that evening. And took it out to some calmer salt water. But the boat just wouldn't run right, there was no way it was getting on the plane - all looked fine, and the motor seemed to achieve the right RPM (taken by sound). But the now would not drop to allow the boat to plane.

so I took it back home and had a good look around, nothing seemed out of place, the rudder/prop has no dinks or cracks, and all is connected up fine.

what I decided to do was to order in a whole new system, so now I have a Flex drive, a 90mm CNC rudder with built in water pick-up and a bronze X435 prop.

And the task is now to mount it!

so I need to make a wooden wedge for the rudder system as it won't fit onto the Transom at all based on the Blast having the transom at an angle. That is tonight's job to get started - but a pretty simple issue to overcome. The wood will then have a layer of Epoxy to seal it.

However the the problem comes with the weight of the new parts, obviously the CNC rudder and the prop are going to be far heavier than the stock parts. This will of course drastically alter the COG (Bow to Stern). But I see no real way of altering the insides to move the motor/ESC forwards in the boat because of the design on the hull.

has anyone attempted this before or have any ideas that I may be able to try? I'll post some pics when I get home later of what I have and the hull that it all needs to go into.

thanks all for any help
Joe
Old 10-06-2014, 07:15 AM
dontrinko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't help with most of your questions but for water in the electronics try scotch tape around the seal area. i had a similar problem with a proboat bj 9 and it fixed the leak 100%. Don
Old 08-31-2024, 06:22 AM
glacierRunner75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blast mods

Do u have photos of the mods. I have been wanting to put a rudder on my blast
Old 08-31-2024, 07:27 AM
Vraneth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glacierRunner75
Do u have photos of the mods. I have been wanting to put a rudder on my blast
I would mate, but will have to dig around for them so would take me a while.

What i remember though putting a rudder on increased the weight to much at the transom end. But upping the motor and putting a rudder on kind of ruined the boat in total so my advise would be to leave it as is and go for a bugger hull if you wanted to update
The following users liked this post:
glacierRunner75 (08-31-2024)