Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Ziroli 1/6 Hellcat Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Ziroli 1/6 Hellcat Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2024, 11:23 AM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

REALLY looking good! Is that a molded in panel line on the cowl or did you produce it?
Old 08-13-2024, 10:30 AM
DaleCS

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by G.F. Reid
REALLY looking good! Is that a molded in panel line on the cowl or did you produce it?
The ones visible are molded in. I did recreate one additional line running back to front at 12o'clock position, using 1/32" Chartpak tape, but it is not seen in the picture - visible in full-scale, models, drawings, but missing in cowlings from both vendors. Unfortunately, Top Flite no longer makes this cowling or the drop tank. I also have a cowling and canopy from Precision Cut Kits. I chose to use the TF cowling as I had to make fewer changes to fit it to the fuse. So, I sort of have a backup with the PKC cowling, but I'll have to do some cutting/glassing/filling/sanding to make it fit. Hopefully, I never damage the TF cowling. I should have bought 2 of the TF cowlings and drop tanks.

As of lunchtime, today, I have the center wing section and one outboard flap painted, two coats each. I should have the other outboard flap painted today. My LHS no longer carries the type of hatch cover screws I've used for most of the hatches, so I'll need to search online. Then, I can paint the outer wing panels. Fuse, ailerons, elevators and rudder are ready for paint.
Old Today, 09:15 AM
DaleCS

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Wing, belly pan, cowling, flaps and ailerons are painted.

I'm happy with the paint color and quality. I was recommended by someone to use satin or semi-gloss, then finish with a clear semi- or full gloss topcoat. I haven't tried a topcoat, yet, but I'm thinking I should have chosen semi-gloss for the primary color. We shall see. I though a satin finish would be more forgiving, but despite the amount of priming and wet sanding, the primary color was still able to identify areas that weren't perfect. Ugh.

Also, the convenience of buying custom mixed/matched paint in spray cans is wonderful, except I believe I get more overspray from them and thus will need to buy a couple more cans to finish the job. Perhaps I would have been better off buying a quart and a better airbrush?

Not blaming the paint supplier and in fact I recommend them. I saw an interview with Adam Savage from Myth Busters recently. He said that to get a really good model built, build 3 of them. What you learn from each build will drastically improve the next build.

I believe him, but I don't think I'll be building 3 of these. Certainly not at this pace. I have learned a lot!

It's been awhile since my previous post - completing the remaining covers and getting the trim tabs ready for paint took way too much time. I still have some fitting to perform on the elevator trim tabs - I cut them to size prior to covering the elevators and now they are an interference fit. I also need to order some insignia masks. Otherwise, I'm pretty much on track to finishing this up over Winter.

Old Today, 10:14 AM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Dale, I use a base coat and it’s normally satin. The clear coat is typically urethane based. I use PPG Flex and Flat. You can add some gloss clear and control the finish. I’ve never used can spray stuff since my spray fan is wide and sprays a lot of product. You get a nice uniform finish. My Hellcats finish is like satin almost no gloss. Smooth to the touch not grainy. You get a grainy finish if you are spraying with lots of pressure. The paint will dry before it hits the surface.