Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Last 4 years spad news

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 05:54 PM
lecrote
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last 4 years spad news

I would like to know if there were anything special in the SPAD things for the last 4 years?
Did I missed important things?
SPADDER seam to be very quiet?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2023, 08:46 AM
mgnostic

Received 102 Likes on 87 Posts

Foam board is pretty much the new spad. I haven't seen a PBF in years.
Old 09-18-2023, 02:50 AM
lecrote
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Foamboard is not good for nitro!
I made some but coro is my prefered one ;-)
Old 09-18-2023, 09:25 AM
mgnostic

Originally Posted by lecrote
Foamboard is not good for nitro!
I made some but coro is my prefered one ;-)
True, I was talking more in terms of inexpensive planes made from throwaway materials. Coroplast seems to have been one of those things in the hobby that takes off for a while then fades into the background. A few people are still into it but the rest of the herd moves on to the next bright and shiny thing.
Old 09-25-2024, 04:47 PM
foodstick

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi mgnostic !

You know the old joke in flying spads back when it was so popular was that ELECTION years are banner years.. All that free building material when the election signs come down. The local plastic store here became so expensive to hobbyist, that most of my friends just said if they were going to treat us like that we would fly something different. And flatfoam planes are hard to beat. I have take smaller rc, just traced wood kit plans onto foam..and they flew great.
Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM
mgnostic

Originally Posted by foodstick
Hi mgnostic !

You know the old joke in flying spads back when it was so popular was that ELECTION years are banner years.. All that free building material when the election signs come down. The local plastic store here became so expensive to hobbyist, that most of my friends just said if they were going to treat us like that we would fly something different. And flatfoam planes are hard to beat. I have take smaller rc, just traced wood kit plans onto foam..and they flew great.
I used to get my coroplast from my sister. She has a convenience store and there were often more tobacco and beer signs than she had walls to hang them on. Along with the foamboard we have a couple of guys in our club who are whipping out deltas and wings out of blue insulation foam.
Old Today, 04:39 PM
foodstick

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I traced some small plans of a Pitts bipe onto foam once, it looked and flew so well. I really hated it when the damage accumulated to high.. About 30 inch wingspan I suppose? Made it from the blue fan fold foam they quit making.. It flew like a expert designed it and ALL i DID WAS TRACE THE OUTLINES OF THE PLANS.

Darn caps !