Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Vibration Issue

Search this Thread

Old Today, 05:37 AM
Bikerboy53
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibration Issue

Hi all,

First off, let me say that I'm not a heli pilot by any stretch, but I am still fascinated by them.

That having been said, I have an older "Align" electric Heli that has probably a 48" rotor swing diameter, I had once tried "spool up" in order to hover, I did have trainer rods with the balls on the ends to avoid tipping it over, things were going smoothly until it reached the point where something was causing a really bad vibration, that is where I shut it down and kinda tucked it away in its case until now. I'm sure it could be a lot of things goin on with it that I know very little about.

Thoughts?

~Biker
Old Today, 06:04 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

Depends on the type of vibration. High speed vibrations are usually the tail rotor, that means a blurry fin or tail.

Lower speed vibration is usually in the head. Start with blade balance and even blade tightness.
Old Today, 06:35 AM
Bikerboy53

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Depends on the type of vibration. High speed vibrations are usually the tail rotor, that means a blurry fin or tail.

Lower speed vibration is usually in the head. Start with blade balance and even blade tightness.
Hi BH,

Thank you for your response, I was actually thinking the same thing, that the main rotors weren't balanced, it appeared to vibrate at a higher RPM, but it wasn't fast enough to lift off yet. So how does one go about balancing the rotors, I have heard that some tape a coin or something on the rotor, but there has to be a safer more effective way.

Thanks again BH

~Biker
Old Today, 07:02 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

LOL oh geeze, tape yes, coin no.

If they are carbon blades they should be balanced, but that said, remove the head, make sure the blades are straight and suspend the head by the flybar, that should give you an idea if its way out, balance with colored tape near the tip
Old Today, 07:14 AM
Bikerboy53

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
LOL oh geeze, tape yes, coin no.

If they are carbon blades they should be balanced, but that said, remove the head, make sure the blades are straight and suspend the head by the flybar, that should give you an idea if its way out, balance with colored tape near the tip
LOL, I thought you might get a chuckle outta that one....tape it is

Thank you BH

~Biker