Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2024, 06:31 PM
Jesse Open

Received 106 Likes on 98 Posts

Pete, Todd,Dave,

Pete: Good to hear from you all. Been getting in loads of flying time. Average about 4 days per week, usually stay there at least 8 hours. The 1992 vintage LT-40 (FA-72) got over 53 hours air time so far. The Toledo Special, Eagle 63, (Saito FA-82 Saito FA-50) have picked up a lot of air time as well. Picked up a Seagull Ultimate and installing the FA-130 twin in that.

Todd: Sorry to hear about the conrod ! Pretty timely as I had just walked in from replacing the countershaft bearings and drive belts on a 1969 vintage 10 inch Clausing lathe. Had to get out the bearing pullers for that job.
Years ago, after seeing for too many prop drives buggered I decided to make a bullet proof reliable puller. It uses full contact, split collets to pull the drive. Rather than press against the crank tip it also uses a hollow sleeve to press directly against the end of the split tapered drive cone. Just a few details to make things go smoothly and easily every time
That said, there are plenty of other ways. You have seen the jaw type already but there are others.
There is available, a two piece bearing separator that is handy for several jobs. It is used with draw bolts to pull bearings etc from shafts. One side is flat the other is wedge tapered. That allows it to slip between a bearing and a shoulder to wedge the bearing away. For pulling bearings, another benefit is that the pulling force is applied to the inner race rather than the outer. This minimizes bearing damage in the event the bearings are to be re-used. Pulling by the outer race can easily damage the bearings. While the bearing comments may not apply to hub pulling; it is nice to know in the event to need to remove a bearing.

Bottom line is you can get a plate type, draw bolt puller and the bearing separator for about 1/2 the price of a jaw type. Shop around on Amazon a bit before you decide

Layout of the home made hub puller

Bearing separator used with steering wheel type draw bolt puller.

Very handy puller package at low cost .

Same principle as pulling the drive hub

Large and small uses.

By the way, which Saito do you need the rod for ?
I have a few conrods on hand. Maybe I can help.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 10-05-2024 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-05-2024, 06:08 PM
Jesse Open

Pete,
Maybe try twenty this week.
Do they have any mills where you work?
Old Yesterday, 04:21 AM
1200SportsterRider

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I just made something, not as involved as a gear puller, but a die holder for an M4 x0.5 die that is only .8" in diameter. I'm still thinking about how to finish it. I don't need bars on as I'll only use it in the lathe jaws. The die is held in place by (3) 6-32 grubs screws which I managed to place perfectly. I'm glad I didn't take the manufacturers word for the diameter, it's really 0.7845, It's to cut threads on the rear facing vents I make for Saito's. I had made a couple with M4 x 0.7 and had unknowingly got away with it.

Last edited by 1200SportsterRider; Yesterday at 04:58 AM. Reason: Add image
Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM
Jesse Open

Very nice!
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 293 Likes on 250 Posts

Well a couple weeks ago I lost my old mentor and 1947 NATS C/L winner Les Barry Jr. He left me his planes, engines, kits, and assorted paraphernalia. Unfortunately he only own one 4 cycle engine, see below. I hope this doesn't make me a social outcast in this thread! Maybe I can sell it and buy a nice Saito?
Old Today, 01:26 AM
1200SportsterRider

Thanks Gary, I used it yesterday and it works fiine..I have two M4 x 0.5 taps coming tomorrow.

Okey, the OS 62 is one fine engine, your collection won't mind it at al. It's now a 64 with a key in the prop driver.
Old Today, 04:57 AM
Jesse Open

Dave, good deal on the vent job. They look sweet too. Have a look on Amazon, you can find the small brass threaded hose barbs in bulk at good prices.
The key on those V Series O.S. engines should relieve the anxiety for quite a few of the more timid type I used to carry spare O.S. crank keys in my field box. Back in the day it was amazing how many of those keys were dropped into the grass and gone forever!
Bet the price of the new FV-64 took a bit of a bump. Cutting the key seat in the crank and the keyway in the hub surely costs a bit more than the Double-D flats they had used.

Okie, Only one four stroke? Shameful!
But it is a good one You will get to remember your friend every time you start it. Should come along with a fine warm smile
Old Today, 08:07 AM
1200SportsterRider

OSMW soon to be released new model, Pirate Stik, It looks great: https://www.oldschoolmodels.com/raider-aws24.htm

The Raider, a natural for a Saito.

Last edited by 1200SportsterRider; Today at 08:10 AM.
Old Today, 09:20 AM
Jesse Open

Just got the email on that one. Looks like one of the nicest Ugly Stiks yet.
Did you order one?
Old Today, 09:37 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 293 Likes on 250 Posts
Default NGK CM-6 spark plugs?

Before I post these do any of you guys running ignition use NGK CM-6 spark plugs? I have 24 new in the package and was going to put them in the classified section but I thought I would give you guys first shot at them. Please PM! Thanks, Mike