Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Topflite red box ZERO kit, starting build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Topflite red box ZERO kit, starting build

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 03:11 PM
reaaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Topflite red box ZERO kit, starting build

I got a unbuilt ZERO Topflite redbox kit from a friend about 3yrs ago. Now i'm looking to start building it. Looks like a nice build but will need some mods to firewall as it has the wood engine mounting. Everything in the kit is still in good shape, which is cool for something made 24yrs ago. plan to finish in paint.
One thing i was wondering about the zero was that in some the gun on the fuse have the nozzles pass through the front top portion of the cowl. This is one scale feature i want to get in the ABS cowl but would mean cutting out eliptical portions in it & filling in the opening to look like a trough. Can 25yr brittle ABS handle that?
Old 06-28-2006, 11:00 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Topflite red box ZERO kit, starting build

Don't see why not....but I would recommend you make a 'template' of each part and a copy of the plans....like you said, it was made 24 years ago and things have changed
Old 06-28-2006, 11:51 PM
warbirdmustang
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Topflite red box ZERO kit, starting build

Good idea about making copies of the kit, but if it has been kept out of sunlight, and taken care of, it should build as good now as it would have then. I have used the wood engine mounting beams, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them provided your engine will fit them. The problem I have found with the older kits and that setup is that the firewall location will let the engine stick too far forward out of the cowling. I have not built this kit before, so it may not be the case with the Zero. Please post pictures of your progress!
Bryan
Old 10-09-2024, 06:20 PM
mrmopar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilding a zero

i was wondering what the wingspan is on her trying to figure out what i actually have thanks for any help

Last edited by mrmopar; 10-09-2024 at 06:22 PM.
Old Today, 07:02 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by reaaz
I got a unbuilt ZERO Topflite redbox kit from a friend about 3yrs ago. Now i'm looking to start building it. Looks like a nice build but will need some mods to firewall as it has the wood engine mounting. Everything in the kit is still in good shape, which is cool for something made 24yrs ago. plan to finish in paint.
One thing i was wondering about the zero was that in some the gun on the fuse have the nozzles pass through the front top portion of the cowl. This is one scale feature i want to get in the ABS cowl but would mean cutting out eliptical portions in it & filling in the opening to look like a trough. Can 25yr brittle ABS handle that?
I'd give Fiberglass Specialties a call and see if the gun slots are molded into the one they make

Originally Posted by mrmopar
i was wondering what the wingspan is on her trying to figure out what i actually have thanks for any help
60-61" span if I remember right