Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2024, 02:28 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent P.
Well I qualify for the 50+ but I've only been flying for about 18 years. Still I have talked to some fellows and gals that used to build everything that they fly. those were the days of dedication to your sport. I love all the pictures that you folks post here and I will probably be visiting often to see what is going on next.
Welcome to the insanity! We're not too picky about the 50+ thing.
The following users liked this post:
Kent P. (Today)
Old 10-19-2024, 04:20 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 297 Likes on 253 Posts

Well I qualify for the 50+ but I've only been flying for about 18 years. Still I have talked to some fellows and gals that used to build everything that they fly. those were the days of dedication to your sport. I love all the pictures that you folks post here and I will probably be visiting often to see what is going on next.
I think the +50 thing is to warn everyone one we are a bunch of old curmudgeons!

Mike
The following 2 users liked this post by FlyerInOKC:
Kent P. (Today), Telemaster Sales UK (10-19-2024)
Old 10-19-2024, 10:11 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 177 Likes on 146 Posts

When I left England nine years ago to retire to central France, I bought five gallons of 10% nitro and five gallons of straight fuel from Southern Modelcraft when it was based in Kent, it was handy for the ferry! I have used nearly all of the 10% but still have most of straight fuel. Yesterday I took my Calmato and Boomerang trainer to see how well they would run on straight fuel. The Calmato is powered by an OS 46 AX and the Boomerang by an Enya 50SS. Both engines required adjusting of course but both models flew well enough. The Enya is still a bit rich on the bottom end. Low wind speeds are forecast today so I'm going to try flying the Big Guff this afternoon on straight fuel. It is powered by a Laser 62.

No pictures I'm afraid, my camera has stopped working and I'm saving up for another but here are a few pictures from the archives!

Has anybody else been flying?

I landed on the glider strip!

A well-flown Boomerang ARTF trainer. I recovered the fuselage and tail in spare film owned by the club!

Big isn't it?

Old 10-20-2024, 10:26 AM
David John Davis

Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I spent most of the day helping friends out but still managed to get to the flying field. I adjusted the Laser in the Big Guff so that it will run on straight fuel. The low end still requires adjustment but at least that means that I will not have to buy fuel for at least three of my engines for the forseeable future.

Welcome Kent P.I'd be interested in seeing your models.

Last edited by David John Davis; 10-20-2024 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-20-2024, 07:01 PM
FlyerInOKC

Please post too! We love to see photos and share experiences!
Old Today, 07:24 AM
Kent P.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a 1956 model and still going strong. My latest project is a Hanger 9 Pawnee D 40 that I picked up from a second hand store for a song. I'll post some pictures at some point but I'm having fun repairing it and hope it will be a good flier.
Old Today, 07:31 AM
Kent P.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it is and totally unnesissary
Old Today, 08:16 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'm a 1958 model and will retire May 1, 2025. I got a few airplanes, kit and scratch built, to finish starting May 2. Lately I've been tied up with what I inherited from my 84 year old mentor and best friend Les who passed away last month. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it all. Some I'll keep, some I'll give away, hopefully I can keep as much as possible out of the trashcan! I got a box of just K&B engines and a quartet of vintage control line engines. He had OS engines from .10 to 1.60. Les won his first C/L NATS in 1947! It has me thinking of developing a plan for my stuff when I get closer to the end. I got some electrics but glow is still my first love. A good example is a Saito FA-270T (twin) i procured this past year. Once I get the current builds caught up I have a quarter scale Globe Swift to built to mount it on. I have squirreled away a number of scale kits and short kits, and a lot of the bits and pieces to complete them, to keep me busy.

Mike
Old Today, 08:52 AM
mgnostic

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm just a 1963 model but wear and tear are catching up to me. I just had steroid injections in both hands and a nerve block in my neck. I've reached the point where unless it is a bucket list plane I'm having to pass on offers of free kits. It is the same with old cars. I recently passed on a bargain on a very restorable Triumph Spitfire because I probably wouldn't get to it in the next ten years. I'll count myself supremely lucky if I still feel like messing with cars at that point. I'm hoping for longer with the airplanes. We have one fellow in our club who is still flying at 92. He has gotten out of the hobby twice but can't stay away.
Old Today, 09:27 AM
FlyerInOKC

I know the feeling Matt! Both knees have been replaced, my back is held together with rods and screws and part of it still needs regular steroid injections. One hip is giving me fits, and arthritis has taken hold in both hands with nerve damage in the left hand. Some days it's just not worth chewing my way out of the straps! If I had to do real work like my Dad I would be on disability. I'm lucky I'm a desk jockey and not a Commercial HVAC Tech and Boiler mechanic like Dad was.