Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Down and Locked question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Down and Locked question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 06:13 PM
A7Bldr
My Feedback: (40)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Down and Locked question

Helping a friend sort out a retract problem in his SM 2.6M Viperjet. All 3 gear motors work (I operated each on 4 volts individually) but the controller is shot and smells burnt.
Can I use a different make of controller, such as Electron, since Down and Locked is gone?
Thanks, Jim
Old 01-22-2022, 06:42 PM
p-40lover

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you maybe be able to use a robart one..l believe way back in the beginning downlock was making the controller for them
Old 01-22-2022, 10:24 PM
lavi rider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default d&l

Down&locked are gone ???
I spoke to Mitch a couple of days ago and got stuff a week ago .

Give him a call he’ll be happy to help you out .
Old 01-22-2022, 11:25 PM
A7Bldr

I have called several times, left message and also emailed, with no response.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:22 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I believe the XiCoy unit will do the job. Best bet is to just get rid of the Down and Locked conversion. It will constantly burn out actuator motors, this is the voice of experience......
Old 01-23-2022, 03:41 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts

Lgc13 if the brakes are still air units
Old 01-23-2022, 07:59 AM
Len Todd

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

LGC 13 is old tech. No gyro. The 13 never really worked well for me. I ended up tossing it. Try the LGC 15 which is basically the same as Electon's GS200.

On another note, 4 volts just kind of stands out to me as too low of a voltage for normal operation. Hope your friend is not operating them at that voltage. That could be the cause of the original issue. Lower voltage = higher current.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:45 AM
A7Bldr

I should clarify the 4 volts test. I merely hooked up a 4 cell nicad (not freshly charged up) directly to each gear motor to verify each one would run. I did not run them to the limits.
He was flying it on a 3 cell LIFE battery and they worked great. Then the plane was crashed, all the plug-in wires were knocked out of the controller and I wanted to verify the gear worked before it was installed in a new plane.
Thanks, Jim
Old 01-23-2022, 07:08 PM
Bob_B

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Todd
LGC 13 is old tech. No gyro. The 13 never really worked well for me. I ended up tossing it. Try the LGC 15 which is basically the same as Electon's GS200.

On another note, 4 volts just kind of stands out to me as too low of a voltage for normal operation. Hope your friend is not operating them at that voltage. That could be the cause of the original issue. Lower voltage = higher current.
Todd if the brakes air powered theres no gyro benefit. The nose gear can run through the gyro if the guy even uses one.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:25 AM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Jim-
Sent you a message on RCG regarding (2) D and L controllers that I now have for sale.
Thanks-Mike O.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:22 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lavi rider
Down&locked are gone ???
I spoke to Mitch a couple of days ago and got stuff a week ago .

Give him a call he’ll be happy to help you out .
It is a mystery for sure. The website is back up again now, it had been down for weeks or months. Although it still has a message about purchase functionality being down "temporarily" and that "we will be live again in a few weeks." That message has been there for at least 6 months. The page has nothing but dead end links after dead end links, can't download the controller setup software for example. Numerous reports here and throughout the RC world about emails and phone calls going unanswered, putting future support in question. No online or event presence that I know of. Just a really odd way to run a business, if they are in fact still doing so.

I'd be opting for a Xicoy controller, you just need to know what voltage and current the motors can safely handle (at least, I think that's it) and set that up in the new controller. Otherwise there's nothing special about each brand that requires them to use the proprietary controllers.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:44 AM
A7Bldr

Mike, yes these are exactly the issues I've been having with D&L. Yesterday I missed a (rare) call back from him and immediately called back, but no answer. Maybe he's just super-busy.
So regarding controllers, that's the mystery to me; what voltage is needed and at how many amps do they stop moving at? Each retract system has its own specific numbers I assume....
Seems to me if I don't get it right, we're going to have gear that may stop halfway up due to amp load, or smoke the retract cylinders because the amp load gets too high (when up against the up or down stop).
Specifically what function does the software in the controller do? Simply adjust the voltage and amp draw?
I guess I view this as a learning experience too...
Jim
Old 01-24-2022, 09:58 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by A7Bldr
Mike, yes these are exactly the issues I've been having with D&L. Yesterday I missed a (rare) call back from him and immediately called back, but no answer. Maybe he's just super-busy.
So regarding controllers, that's the mystery to me; what voltage is needed and at how many amps do they stop moving at? Each retract system has its own specific numbers I assume....
Seems to me if I don't get it right, we're going to have gear that may stop halfway up due to amp load, or smoke the retract cylinders because the amp load gets too high (when up against the up or down stop).
Specifically what function does the software in the controller do? Simply adjust the voltage and amp draw?
I guess I view this as a learning experience too...
Jim
The controller just applies the voltage supplied by the batteries. Most controllers expect 8.2 to approx 7.4 Volts - basically a 2s LiPo. The controller monitors the current being drawn by the gear motors and turns them off when it reaches a set limit (and is at that limit for a bit of time). The current cutoff is programmable in the Xicoy LGC-15. Its also programmable in the LGC-13, but you have to have a Xicoy GSU to program it.

The gear motors shouldn't really care about the voltage being applied to them, as long as its not too high. I'm not sure, but if the D&L gear needs 6V, then its likely due to the controller needing that. The Xicoy controllers are set up for 2S LiPo and the D&L gear motors should be fine with that. Its the current cutoff that needs to be correct. I've set up several different gear makes on the Xicoy controllers. I just start with a low cutoff current which usually results in a gear stall before it reaches the limits. Then I increase it, a little of a time until the gear transit reliably. If the gear hang in the air, I bump it up a bit. Also, the Xicoy controllers have a "back off" time that you can set. This is a short burst of reverse current the controller applies after the gear reaches its limit. This "back off" takes the strain off of the jack screw so that the loads on the gear are taken by the up and down locks, not the jack screw.

The Xicoy gear controllers are the only ones I'll use...

Bob

Bob
Old 01-24-2022, 12:19 PM
Auburn02

I seem to recall you're not adjusting the amp draw, but rather the max amp cutoff limit. So you start low, set it as low as you can and still have the gear work reliably on the bench. Maybe use your hand to simulate a little load on the gear and make sure the amp cutoff is high enough that the gear still goes up and down. Then fly. If they only go up halfway and stop, the air resistance is more than you accounted for and you bump the cutoff a bit more and fly again. There is of course some risk here that you end up with even more resistance on the out swing and can't get the gear to go back down either, something to consider.

After typing all that I realized Bob already said it much better.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:36 PM
A7Bldr

Guys, thanks for those great explanations!
I have found a simple D&L unit that I will try 1st; if it fails I'll head to a Xicoy unit.
Regards, Jim
Old 01-24-2022, 08:13 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 87 Likes on 77 Posts

i would be measuring and recording the amp draw data, just in case ya ever have to try to replace another controller.
especially the up/down cut off amp points.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:38 PM
A7Bldr

Good idea!
Old 01-25-2022, 12:15 PM
Auburn02

Depending on the controller you get, you may still have to set the cutoff using the Down and Locked setup software. I believe it could differ widely depending on the gear style/size/weight, it wouldn't necessarily use the same settings for all of their actuators.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:36 AM
lavi rider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Mitch

I have called several times, left message and also emailed, with no response.
he said he’s traveling for a week or so , he’ll respond as soon as he gets back home again
Old 01-28-2022, 12:10 AM
Zeeb

GUYS, give it up. D&L will NEVER work correctly. Constant failures and even if they give you new motors/actuators, it's still a HUGE pain in the butt to change them out.

Do yourselves a favor; can you spell "ELECTRON"?????
The following users liked this post:
Skunkwrks (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 08:03 AM
A7Bldr

Well Zeeb, the retracts that I am working with worked PERFECTLY and the plane owner loved them, until the plane met Terra Firma in a bad way..... just sayin.
And yes I have Electrons in my Viper. They are nice.

Last edited by A7Bldr; 01-28-2022 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Spelling
The following users liked this post:
Skunkwrks (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 08:52 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 383 Likes on 309 Posts

Terra firma is bad for retracts, and airplanes in general
Old Today, 03:17 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I know this is an old thread but does anyone know how i can get in touch with Mitch. I have several jets still running on down and locked conversions. What i would like to ask Mitch is what is the exact specs on the N20 motor used in his gear. I have tried more than a few N20's but none of them work like the ones Mitch installed. thx
Old Today, 05:06 PM
Zeeb

Best advice I can give you is to call Greg instead of Mitch and put that D&L stuff in the round file......