Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

10x6 3 blade prop question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

10x6 3 blade prop question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2024, 01:30 AM
jabo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10x6 3 blade prop question

I broke my 10x6 3 blade prop and can't find the same one anywhere. Can someone tell me what an equivalent prop would be? It is going on a Flybeam with a 4018-KV950 motor.

Thanks in advance!
Old Today, 05:59 PM
LLRCFlyer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

jabo,

Based on the September date, you have probably already figured this out. If not, the old rule of thumb for .30 to .60 size glow engines was to use a 3 blade prop 1 inch smaller in diameter than the 2 blade prop it replaces, i.e. replace a 2 blade 11x6 with a 10x6 three blade prop. Unlike electric motors, if the 3 blade prop was too large, it would not destroy the glow engine. For electric motors, it is vital not to exceed the allowable amps (or watts) specified by the manufacturer. I would suggest trying an 11x6 two blade prop and test it with a watt/amp meter to make sure the motor is not overloaded and then try different pitch props to achieve the desired wattage. If you don't have an amp/watt meter, I suggest you get one. It is simple to use (just plug it in between your battery and the ESC) and it will save you a lot of frustration for only $25. (see https://www.motionrc.com/products/gt...yzer-gtp180awm ). APC has a web site that lists propeller performance data for their props. If you know how many watts your 10x6-3 prop pulled and at what rpm, then you can select a similar two blade prop from their charts. Take a look at this site: https://www.apcprop.com/technical-in...formance-data/ Their nomenclature is to use a "-" suffix to indicate the number of blades if different than 2 blades. For example, 10x6 is a 2-blade prop, 10x6-4 is a 4 blade prop, 11x7-3 is a 3 blade prop. I hope this helps.