Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Soldering braided wire

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Soldering braided wire

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 12:43 PM
All Thumbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soldering braided wire

I'm looking for some advice on soldering some braided wire (from a Sullivan tail brace kit). I've come up dry searching...

Here's my situation: I'm trying to solder on connectors to the ends of the braided wire. I'm starting off by trying to first tin the wire, and that's where I'm having my problem. I'm using Staybrite.

I've tried my best to get the wire clean, I haven't had a problem like this before. I've gone as far as roughening the wire with sandpaper, cleaning it with a solvent, and using generous amounts of flux. I've had the wire from "pretty hot" all the way to red hot, but each time I can't get the solder to take and it just rolls off. I'm heating the wire, not the solder. The wire comes brass colored, but it's shiny silver once sanded. I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what.

Any ideas will be appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:03 PM
gtisme

Default RE: Soldering braided wire

Just a thought, but removing the "brass colored" plating might be the problem. If you have a small scrap, try tinning some that still has the brass color.

Gary
Old 11-16-2003, 02:45 PM
All Thumbs

Good call Gary. That was the problem. I'm certainly showing my lack of metalurgical skills, but I've never had a problem soldering these types of pieces before. I've scrapped the idea of using a torch because it seems to burn the "gold color" covering off (taking it off was not my initial intention). I was able to tin an end using regular solder and a solder gun. The connection is so narrow that I don't see any real problem with this. There is literally no way I can get solder to stick to the wire otherwise. I've been very careful to be meticulously clean, even putting on a new tip and cleaning the solder itself until it was shiny. But this works...thanks!
Old 11-18-2003, 10:32 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another trick I use is to cut a piece of solder and put it down the tube with some flux on the cable. Then all you do is heat the whole thing till the solder wicks to the top of the tube.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:22 PM
Gollywock

First of all, your soldering tip must be clean and it has to be tinned. When the iron is hot enough, flow solder onto it and wipe it off with a clean rag. The tip should have a bright, shiny finish. Make sure the solder is clean. (Cleanliness is almighty). Red hot is WAY too hot. The entire soldering operation shouldn't take over 5 seconds. Jim