Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Engine Tuning Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 07:24 PM
Abram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Tuning Help

Ok, I have a few questions, need a little help and some opinions on tuning this Force Engine in the Ofna MBX Pro. What I want
to know is...

1. People who have this engine, what have you found to be the best High and Low speed needle settings once it is ready to be
leaned out? (break in is finished) I know it varies on where you live, atmospheric conditions etc but I just need a rough
estimate.

2. How do you like to tune your nitro engine?

3. What do you think is the optimal way to tune a nitro engine?

4. How should the exhaust look in your opinion?

I'm having a few problems with my engine, first of all I have it broken in, (about 6 tanks) and I started to lean it out. Right now it's about 2 1/2 turns open but I've discovered that when the engine is idle and then I slowly bring up the throttle the engine just suddenly dies. Not even when I punch the gas, but just slowly going into about mid-throttle the engine cuts out. What do you think might be the problem? I believe it might be just too rich (i mean the needle valve is out 2 1/2 turns but I just wanna know for sure. Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:45 PM
RCBOZO
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Engine Tuning Help

Abram When your engine is warmed up and you bring it in how long can you idle before the engine settles down into a different idle? That is actually the engine loading up and usually means that the LSN is a bit too rich. If you are getting better than the count of 5 you are getting pretty close to a good setting. I have my force 26 to idle for about the count of 8 and I have great acceleration. This is my first RC Car engine so I bought a Infrared thermometer, to make sure that I wasn't getting too hot. I am not sure how my needles are situated sorry. My force 26 ran great on factory settings for about 7 tanks and then it started acting super rich. I started tunning and changed the plug and it runs like a RAPED APE AGAIN.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:17 AM
Abram

If that is I can even drive it around...I can barely rev it up enough before it just quits on me. At a standstill it revs a little rough but not too bad, I push the throttle as slowly as I possibly can and it quits before I can get it to mid-throttle. I know the main needle is still a little rich but should it quit like that?
Old 11-19-2003, 03:26 AM
rclooney

if you run it in ok then the mixtures may be a bit lean as it would have been richer during the break-in.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:18 AM
RCBOZO

Before I changed my plug and leaned it out it would take me about 5-6 minutes before the engine would stop putting around and get some RPM's . It was just VERY RICH! I had a problem with my plug so I changed it and it fired right up after I leaned it out. Give your LSN a 1/4 turn in and see if it starts up and idles around better. I think my LSN is about 1 turn in from factory. Please take advise from others, but our engines are acting the same. 7 tanks and the factory settings are not working anymore. Break-in is done and it is time to tune a LITTLE!
Old 11-19-2003, 08:42 AM
RaZ_Tx

Richen the low end some first If its dieing part throttle you need to richen the low end a bit 1/16 - 1/8 turn try this first
Old 11-19-2003, 09:09 AM
RCBOZO

rclooney defiantly listen to RaZ_Tx that is better advise that I gave you. It will not hurt anything to richen it up FIRST! Leaning it out first may not be the best thing for everyone. If after you richen it and it acts better your on the right track. If you cant get it started or it runs worse. Put LSN back to were you started and then lean a 1/8 turn at a time till you get the desired results.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:49 AM
Nitroaddict

The stalling when applying throttle, indicates a stong possibility of a bad glow plug. They are often known to need replacing after break in, since the super rich break in settings wreck havoc on the plug. I would follow the above advice of richening up the LSN and seeing how that does, then replacing the plug.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:05 AM
Abram

Alright i'll try all your advise later today. I got some stuff to do first. I'll also change the glowplug like Nitroaddict mentioned because I do believe it might be going bad.