Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Painting

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 03:55 PM
Henrik_Rosen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting

Ive just glassed my TF P-47 and wonder if I can use LustreKote or is there any other paint that’s better for that?
Old 11-05-2003, 04:16 PM
Rubbie

Default RE: Painting

I have used lustercote over glass and epoxy, I just primed with the lustercote primer first and followed the instructions and did it outside with a mask on. Man that stuff is Toxic. I have also used spray paint and that I found at the local hardware store (both latex and Laquer) I made sure that I sprayed clear urathane over the latex and I used the lustercote clear of the laquer stuff. The common name for the hardware stuff closed to me is Tremclad. It is a generic laquer based paint.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:53 AM
Henrik_Rosen

I’m thinking of having aluminum paint first and then olive drab so I can make the aluminum come through at some places to give an extra cool look. I want it to look like it been flying a lot you know. I use this P-47 as a learning kit. It’s my second kit and first time glassing and painting. Used oracover on my last kit. Do I have to use any, don’t know the English word for it, clear paint to get it better or will that make it to shiny.

What kind of filler can I use on the epoxy/glass?

Thanks

Henrik Rosen
Sweden
http://www.henrikrosen.com
Old 11-06-2003, 12:49 PM
Rubbie

I like the idea of using chrome or Aluminium right after the primer it will look good. As for filler i use the regular primer that the paint suggests then sand it right down they do it again. If you have some small pin holes or have a lot of weave from the fibreglass to fill then you could try and mix a little epoxy with a lot of microballons and use that for filler. As for a clear coat at the end use what the paint suggests and make sure it is fuel proof. You don't have to use the "clear" that usually makes it shiny I usally use 'flat clear' for my war bird projects, it also help keeps the stickers down too.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:41 PM
bearmech
My Feedback: (1)

Is the latex fuel proof?
Old 11-21-2003, 01:48 PM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Latex is NOT, I repeat, NOT fuel proof. You will need to clear coat it for glo fuels.

I would suggest letting the latex "cure" for about 3 - 4 weeks before putting the clear on. Latex takes that long to "harden".

To demonstrate what I am refering to, spray a piece of wood with latex. Let it dry for a couple of days, then let it sit in the sun for an hour. Press your finger firmly in the paint and observe the fingerprints. If you do not let the latex "cure", the clear coat will seal the paint and prevent it from fully curing.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:04 PM
bearmech

Thanks