Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Hummingbird Bird Seed battery pack

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Hummingbird Bird Seed battery pack

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 05:24 AM
MartialArtist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hummingbird Bird Seed battery pack

Well, I got most of my packing done and decide to mess with my heli for a bit. I am charging the battery pack that came with the kit, but notice it gets SUPER hot. Is this normal? Holy cow does it get hot!

As for where that black TUBE that goes in the shaft to hold it in place. It's almost a scam! That restricts the movement BIG TIME... I need to get the upgrade parts QUICK when I move!
Old 07-15-2003, 07:28 AM
Popcyclical

Default ReL Hot Birdseed

Hi...

I also noticed the BS battery getting super-hot the first time it was charged per the PDF instruction to charge it for 1 1/2 hours. Since that first charge using the kit provided factory wall plug charger, I only leave the battery on charge until it just starts to get noticably warm but not too hot. I think it's better to use a dedicated charger (more bucks to shell-out ) that limits the current while charging, however, the factory one works OK provided you don't "over-cook" them. I have 3 birdseed packs to allow more frequent flying and use either the factory charger or another current limiting charger I have and use the "feels barely warm" rule and haven't lost a battery yet. By the time the motor has cooled down I'm ready to fly again.

On the matter of the 'Tight' tube on the MR drive shaft, unless you're already experienced at flying a micro heli, I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to 'loosen-up the rotor drive/cyclic-control parts yet, until you get the feel of controlled slow climb to a hover position. Those parts tend to loosen-up with a little usage. Except for setting the motor pinnion to Rotor drive Ring Gear with 'plenty' of backlash, I learned that as a beginner, it's better to have the cyclic (Pitch & Roll) set-up a little tight - than loose until you learn to fly good enough to keep the HB off the furniture" . Later on, when you're flying outdoors in the wind is when you need looser, quicker responding cyclic responses. 'Been flying my HB 3 to 6 times a day since mid May and still haven't seen the need for "upgrade" parts yet, other than a more reliable motor and a 2 cell Etec Li-Poly 1.2 amp battery. Based on that, I probably won't dive into the shaft collar/swash-ball etc mods until they come-out with a Collective Pitch mod for the HB. That's the time (for me) to "loosen-up the joints"

Hang in there -- you'll have lots of fun with the HB...
Old 08-25-2003, 09:36 PM
Nuker

That's the same thing I was about to ask (great search engine :thumbup: )

The charger indicates that it's only a 300 mah charger. After the 1.5 hours as documented is was too hot to touch.

Next charge I used my Hobbico MKII field charger (handles nIMH's), charged it at about 500 mah and got full charge in about 10-15 min with no noticable heat.

I thought my wall charger was defective but it looks like it's by design.

I'm still learning on my Hawk but this small heli (Mrs. Nuker's anniversary gift to me) flew beautifully from table to floor and back

Li-Poly's are probably the best way to go (MKII handles those too ) but you need the 370 motor and, chances are, a new speed control.

Oh well, Christmas is only 4 months away .......

Bob
Old 08-26-2003, 03:09 PM
mikefoy6
My Feedback: (1)

i just leave a fan on the battery when it is charging.
A little air flow around it makes it a LOT cooler.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:58 PM
Dodgey99

The supplied charger WILL kill the batts after a short while. And the batteries are of the lowest quality possible. Sorry to be so negative but it's true. Save the pain and go li-po asap.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:18 PM
plane_pilot

Does anyone know if Li-po will kill these one board(mixer & esc) controlers that come with the cheao radios?? I'm wonder how much power they can take before blowing?
Old 08-26-2003, 07:40 PM
Dodgey99

You'll be fine with a 2s (7 ish volts). 3s (11.1v) may well toast the board. It'll certainly eat through brushed motors at an alarming rates.

I flew my Hummingbird with a 2s 1200mah li-po pack with no problems, oh, and 20 mins + flight times.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:25 PM
Nuker

I'm using the speed control that came with Century's combo pack. (the one without tx/rx or servos)

If that works then I just have to pick up the 370 motor and a 2 cell LiPo and I'm set to go? Anything else I'll need?

These 5-6 min flights have got to go

Many thanks in advance

Bob

ps I'm progressing faster with the Hummingbird than I am with my Hawk!
Old 08-29-2003, 01:43 AM
flybyknight

I'm new to the mico heli craze. I just picked up a Hummingbird. I to use a fan to help keep the batts cool. I see several references to a lipo pac? longer flight times, could someone tell me more about these lipo pacs? i have flow helis in the past I had a Nexus 30 for several years. Just did'nt have the time to always set it up outside and fly it. Thank goodness for micros indoor fun!

Clearskys
Flybyknight
Old 09-26-2003, 12:44 PM
kansasjayhawk

Default RE: Hummingbird Bird Seed battery pack

Where in Olathe are you. I live in Overland Park and work in Olathe. Maybe we could trade tips on micro helis. I just got a HB but I haven't even opened it yet. You can email me at [email protected]
Old 09-28-2003, 05:21 AM
edit 21

Dodgey99 , where did you get your batterys from int the uk? could you post up a link and ref no. for us all .
Might go and BUZZ David Blain tonight!
Old 11-21-2003, 02:36 PM
The Yank

This is my first heli. I've been flying r/c planes for @25 years from 20 size to big 62 cc's. I hope I've got the right trainer!
My question is howcome there is no on/off switch ? Do ya just plug in and get away fast??I just got mine ready to fly & my JR 7803 radio did something wierd,I turned it on & Err/Bkup flashed,so I turned it off quick & back on & it read 10.4v . But it erased all of my fleet & none recieve a signal. I think I fried my TX. so now I'll use the chepie that came with it.See how it works.
Any help on the switch would be helpful.
The Yank
Old 11-22-2003, 02:03 AM
VULTCH

Hi guys. I'm using the 3cell Kokam 700mah LiPo battery on my HB. Weighs only 54 grams. Does great. Although I did fry one 370 motor while holding it down, I contribute this to my fault. Lets talk about weight and WATTAGE to fly. Typically it will require about 25-30 watts of power to hover the HB at the stock weight. At 8 volts this will require appx. 3.75 amps @30 watts (30/8=3.75) however at 12 volts for 30 watts of power the amps required is only 2.5 amps (30/12=2.5). The wattage is really what counts since watts = power. The Hummingboard is running cooler since I am using less current. You must watch voltage in any electronic circuit that it does not break down the componients. Most of the circuitry of ESCs are rated at 30volts, however some capactors are at 16 volts. So I would not recomend anything above 3 cell LIPo for the HB. Since the LiPo cell is 36 grams lighter less power is required to fly than the birdseed battery. A word of Caution, Don't try full throttle with the 3 cell and 370 motor. If your flying it will go out of sight before you blink, or as in my case, melt the brush holder. I got my battery from Tower Hobbies. I hope this helps.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:59 AM
The Yank

Thanx, but you didn't tell me about if I need more than 4 ch. Or about 2esc's