Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

7 gallons through my savage!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 04:27 PM
oosel
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7 gallons through my savage!

I have ran allmost 7 gallons of fuel through my savage, its the nitrostar .21 engine, I was just wondering if anyone else ran this engine this long? I never had a engine run this long in my life! The only reason I never upgraded the engine was because from day one it ran like a top and has plenty of power and speed, it flips over backwards on command lol. the only things I had changed was I put a nova head on it and for the first 5 gallons i use to add klotz racing oil to the fuel. Im allmost ready to crack open gallon #8 I still have 20oz left to finish off gallon#7. And for the record I beat this thing bad lol. I allways wind it out and climb hills and of course jump it a lot higher then i ever should.

I was just curious to hear other's that had the same luck with any brand of engine? I prefer ofna but when this engins goes bad i might replace it with another nitrostar.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:30 PM
**MilkMachine**

Default RE: 7 gallons through my savage!

Well, I had a Nitro car but only for like a year and my motor lasted about 8 monthes!!! But I had to rebuild it and tune it and keep it clean ALL THE TIME!
Old 11-23-2003, 06:45 PM
Addicted to Nitro

How close to the factory settings are you running your engine oosel? Leaner, Richer......
Old 11-23-2003, 07:15 PM
oosel
My Feedback: (4)

Im running about 3 turns out. I dont even remember what the factory settings are. I tune by performance and temp. I think my motor is going to outlast the carb lol im starting to have trouble with the high needle screw turning on its own. and i couldent find the corect size O-ring to replace the one on the needle now. So i took one off one of my many blown ofna motors and am going to try that. in the summer my temps usually run about 250F sometimes 260 and higher. this has ben the worst motor I ever owned when it comes to keeping a constant temp! one day it might run 190 and 265 the next. other then that I have had no problems, To be honest i kind of treated this motor bad. I let it get a little hot sometimes and I only really cleaned it 2 times mainly because I was told this motor was not a very good one. And I ben waiting for it to go bad or atleast start loosing power so I could replace it with a hyper 8 port. But after about my 3rd gallon this thing really picked up a lot of power and i mean a lot, at the time I thought ok its geting ready to go because the increase in power was so drametic and sudden, and thats what my 2-stroke dirt bikes use to do before they blew. But it never did blow and kept increasing in power, it leveled off on about tank #6 I think. the first 5 gallons I ran through it was fantom 20% then they had a price increase so i switched to blue thunder 20% and ben runing it ever since and it droped my temp some to.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:28 PM
Dr. Krass

I have a t-maxx w/trx 2.5 with 5 gallons run through it. I'd be perfectly happy with the engine if it blew up next time I ran the truck. And plus i'd have an excuse to buy a fantom FR18!
Old 11-23-2003, 07:55 PM
teamsquirreltail

My .21BB lasted over 8 gallons. Had 8 gallons through it when I sold it. Engine still ran great. Of course I didn't have a temp gun at all, so I always ran it so rich. Someone at the track took it's temperature and it was running 160-180 degrees. I wanted to make the engine last. Sure it didn't get up to maximum RPM like this, but it sure did last long!!
Old 11-23-2003, 09:24 PM
Fast Guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The .21 engines seem to last much longer than the .12's and .15's. It seems that 5 to 10 gallons is quite common.[8D]
Old 11-23-2003, 09:33 PM
teamsquirreltail

Flash, I noticed that too! My big blocks would hold a tune better then my smallblocks! Strange!
Old 11-23-2003, 10:25 PM
miserynitro
My Feedback: (8)

well all my motors hold great tunes.. even in 30-40 degree temp swings.... well my .21 BB lasted 11 Gallons of fuel when i took it out of service and put it on the shelf for spare.... just couldn't wait any long to throw in the hyper 8 port it still ran Very strong and was very reliable... i could probably get another 3-5 gallons out of it possibly.... and it seems i run 16% oil at a minimum.... and it seems that people which run higher oil content.... their engines last longer.... just something to ponder
Old 11-23-2003, 11:44 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

thats nice cuz mine only lasted 30tanks including breakin
Old 11-24-2003, 12:01 AM
crzy-svg-usr

wow u guys r lucky mine lasted 3 and a half gallons tilled i fryed it i coudlnt get enough pwer outa it oops little to lean
Old 11-24-2003, 09:55 AM
bigjdubb

Thats awesome. I am on the 8th gallon in my TRX 2.5 and she is dying on me. It doesnt want to stay running and I gots no compression. I was hoping it was an air leak but no, she is dying *sniff* Time for a new engine and a for sale sign.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:08 PM
tmaxxkillers-25

my savage s-25 ran about 16 gallons and still running hard hense i race every friday and beat the living **** out of it and i mean it