Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Help with WM Super Sports 40S

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Help with WM Super Sports 40S

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 01:40 AM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with WM Super Sports 40S

Just got this today, what a beautiful piece of workmanship, and only $99!!! Unreal. Instructions are AWFUL though...

Need help with the landing gear. There is no hole in the wing to insert it in, and I cannot figure out what the pictire in the directions is telling me.

Also, I have read to replace it with Skyvista or some other gear, Anyone know where I can get a set? Hobbico doscontinued the Skyvista..

Anyone ever done a pull pullon the rudder, mounting the servo in the back?

Any other info is appreciated.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:50 AM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

I built one several years ago. If I remember correctly there's a hardwood landing gear block about 10" out from the root of the wing on both sides. You'll need to cut the covering away from the slot in the block. Epoxy in the landing gear and strap it in place using the supplied straps.

World Models are notorious for having soft, easily bent landing gear, but I never bent the gear on my SS40...then again I've flown sailplanes since the '80s. If there's one thing I know how to do, it's: LAND!

-Tom
Old 08-07-2003, 11:21 AM
Woody 51

Corrrect about the mains. You'll have to find the slots and remove the covering that is over them.

I chucked the WM supplied landing gear on mine. It was, in my opinion, too thin. More suited to a .20 sized model.

I used a "Dubro" nose gear leg and the mains from a crashed Seagull "Scanner."

I also wasn't happy with the wing joiner, it was too thin.
So I added a fibreglass bandage around the wing join.

The model flies really well.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:02 PM
IronCross

Right about the location of the landing gear... I used the stock gear and it has held up fine so far. I do use a paved runway though. My manual was totaly useless. The inside pages were all about putting retracts and tailwheel on what appeared to be a mustang... One of the worst ones I have ever seen from WM. Good thing these things are pretty straight forward. But hey what do you want for 99 bucks.
I have an Irvine .53 in mine and the CG at 83mm so far. It will fly inverted with only a hint of down elevator needed. Does knife edges with no coupling needed. One fantastic flyer.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:52 PM
PatinIdaho.
My Feedback: (3)

I have one with about 10 flights so far with a TT46 pro and a 11x6 apc prop. I used the landing gear from a brightstar i crashed glad i did to as the stock gear would not have held up to our grass field. I must say also that i LOVE this little plane for 99 bucks i dont think it can be beat.
Pat
Old 08-07-2003, 03:38 PM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

Caution on putting any more weight in the tail. Mine came out tail heavy with the servos in the tray. I have a TT Pro 46 and a 11x5 APC. Flys great. The gear is soft but I am still using it. I also had to glue the servo try on mine. Guess how I found that out, oops.

Bill
Old 08-07-2003, 05:13 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

I have the same setup as RedWing, TT Pro .46 and APC 11x5 prop....great combo for that plane.

NOVA, I have the Skyvista gear on mine and it works out great....I think the best way to find it is to put a post on here in the Misc. Items for sale forum....as a "Wanted to Buy" item....I'm sure somebody has some gear laying around that would work......take measurements of the stock gear, and look for something that size, (but larger diameter, of course) and it should work.....After I converted it to a taildragger, I put the main gear out of my Goldberg Tiger 2 onto my WM T-34 and that worked perfectly also...
About the hole to insert the landing gear into......the hole might not be drilled very cleanly, and wood shavings are covering from the gear mounting area, look closely for the hole and clean it out a bit.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:45 PM
Epoxy Cup

Default WM SS/40

I have to repeat what Ironcross said. I am useing the landing gear it came with but flying on matt runway. Engine is OS.46 FX and the plane flys great. IT has become my everyday plane to grab a few minutes of flying. It tracks is light and goes where you point it. It reminds me a lot of a Goldberg Tiger 2 I used to have. I liked the way it flew to.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:16 AM
Woody 51

I didn't elaborate in my previous post.

I fly off a rather rough grass field that is shared with farm stock!.

The supplied WM U/C wire would not have survived 1 landing and the wheels supplied in the kit were too small for grass as well.

If you fly off tarmac or matt, the supplied wire/wheels will probably be o.k.

I have a Super Tigre G51 up front, turning an 11 x 7 prop.

Started with a Magnum .46 (spinning an 11 x 6) but felt the model needed something more. Having a spare G51 in the drawer saw the change.

The G51 transformed it.

The C of G on mine is about 1/2 an inch behind the rear most point in the instructions and the model flies nicely at that.

But it still has some weight up the front, even for getting the C of G to that point, so yes, be careful.

If mine ever went splot (it is now 6 years old) a new one would be ordered straight away.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:44 AM
spyder0069

Default RE: Help with WM Super Sports 40S

I had the regular super sports 40. Mine balanced fine with a Thunder Tiger .46 Pro. Didn't have to add any weight at all. I run a 11x4 and get unlimited verticle. I can fly straight up after the plane left the ground. They must have only had problems on the 40s because the instructions on mine had no issues. You can almost throw away the instructions though if you have ever built any ARF. This plane goes together easy. I think I prefer the non-cowl 40 to the 40s. Something just looks odd about that cowl.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:02 AM
IronCross

Default RE: Help with WM Super Sports 40S

The Irvine .53 with a 12X6 prop is sure working out nice. Talk about
unlimited vertical. I have had to replace the nose gear in mine. I put one of the
3 1/2 inch dual strut faultz units in and it holds up so much better. The mains are
doing fine which kind of surprised me. This plane is sure a blast to kick around the
sky in. I used the WM fuel tank and have had no problem with the stopper on it either.
This is a definite improvement for that.