Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Removing valves from 4-stroke

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Removing valves from 4-stroke

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 10:24 AM
LouW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing valves from 4-stroke

I recently had occasion to remove the valves from my Magnum 30 four stroke. Having heard horror stories of loosing keepers, here is how I proceeded. I made a spring compressor by putting a dowel the same diameter as the valve in a small wooden block. I then put it and the cylinder head and some tweezers in a two gallon ziploc freezer bag. Reaching through the opening, I compressed the spring and removed the keepers. This way if I dropped the little parts they would remain in the bag. I used the same approach to reassemble the valves in the head. It went quickly and there was no chance of losing the keepers, etc.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:54 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Removing valves from 4-stroke

I LIKE it.

Les
Old 11-24-2003, 11:21 AM
jessiej

I then put it and the cylinder head and some tweezers in a two gallon ziploc freezer bag. Reaching through the opening, I compressed the spring and removed the keepers. Th

Clever! The "Bag Trick" should also be applicable to assembly / dissembly of all sorts of mechanisims in addition to model engines.

Sometimes it seems as if I spend half my time crawling around looking for some little widget.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:01 PM
Abraxxas

ROFL!!! I know that feeling all too well, crawling around my room looking for the one piece you need before you can finish your project. The bag trick works awesome indeed, for engines AND pistols. I've lost more little springs and check balls for hours in my carpet doing maintenance on my pistols than anything I think. Now I dismantle in a 1 gallon Ziploc freezer bag and never worry

Brian
Old 12-06-2003, 07:18 AM
Wowbagger

Okay, but what do you use to lap in model four stroke valves? The grinding paste you get from auto shops is far too coarse, even the "fine" type; so what to use?

As for finding missing bits, I use an enourmous magnet off the back of a 12" speaker. You'd be suprised what I find with that!
Old 12-06-2003, 08:50 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use automotive rubbing compound and finish with toothpaste. The compound is not to aggressive but cuts well.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Wowbagger

Hey, good idea Flypaper 2! I'll try that.