Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

stripped spur gear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 01:00 PM
MrSavage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped spur gear?

i just finished running my rc10gt and i was takin a look at it after a tank that ran perfectly fine and i noticed the inside of about 10 teeth are significantly worn down and have little chunks out of them. is my spur gear about stripped or already stripped so the next time i run it, it won't work?
Old 10-11-2003, 01:25 PM
dagass

Default RE: stripped spur gear?

It's about as stripped as it can be without actually missing teeth. You'll probably want to grab yourself a new one and when you install it, make sure you set the gear mesh properly. Also, if you're jumping, don't land it with the throttle pegged. Those are the two most common causes of stripped spur gears.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:33 PM
lynx the great
My Feedback: (1)

the robison racing gears do well... 20.00$ tho

pat
Old 10-12-2003, 04:14 AM
nitrofan

yeah, go ahead and replace it 'cause it will strip all the way the next time you run it. When you set the gear mesh you need to use a piece of regular notebook paper. put it between the clutch gear and the spur gear, push the 2 together, and tighten everything up. thats the easiest way to properly set gear mesh. Also, like Dagass says, be sure to let of the throttle before you land your jumps. this will prolong the life of the spur gear, especially if the spur is made of plastic.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:39 AM
MrSavage

i'm sorry but i don't know exactly what the gear mesh is, can you explain? also, my spur gear screws are loc tited, will it be hard too get them out?
Old 10-12-2003, 11:28 AM
nitrofan

"gear mesh" refers to how tightly the clutch gear and the spur gear fit together. If it is too tight, there will be excessive drag on the driveline, and the spur gear will wear out too quickly. If the gear mesh is too loose, the spur gear will strip very quickly.

As for the loctite issue: If you used blue loctite, you should be okay. If you used the red loctite, it will be more difficult to get apart. The blue is "temporary" and can be removed easily wiht standard tools. The red is "permanent" and often requires heating the part in question with a hair dryer or other heat source to "melt" the loctite and remove the screws.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:03 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

Try to mesh the gears as close as possible but, You only need a little bit of play. too loose will strip.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:53 AM
nitrofan

Thats why I said to place a strip of ordinary notebook paper between the gears when setting gear mesh. it provides the perfect amount of "play" between the gears after is has been removed.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:02 PM
underglow
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: <span class=

I HAVE A QUESTION ? I KEEP STRIPPING MY SPUR GEARS ON THE FIRST RIDE OF THE NEW GEAR. I THINK THE PROBLEM IS THAT MY MOTOR MOUNT SCREWS LOOSEN UP WHEN DRIVING, BUT I USED LOCK TITE... IF ANY ONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE HELP ME OUT.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:36 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: <span class=

It could be the motor mt. screws loosening. But just out of curiosity, take a good close look at the pinion(s) to see if they are damaged. I had a case where a stone got kicked up and dinged the pinions. Two teeth got sorta "rolled over" a little and chewed up the spurs...