Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BME 55Xtreme VS MVVS 2.15 Gasser

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 10:23 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BME 55Xtreme VS MVVS 2.15 Gasser

Can't quite picture it...You want to make your hub the same size as a 3W, 2 3/8" ? With a 1/4 deep hole 1 1/2 diameter to fit over your hub ?
Old 12-11-2003, 10:30 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Dick. . you really need to get a grip on this "Kris^ is doing WAHT???" Reactionism.

I'll have you know that I just spent 4 weeks testing 5 different types of canister exhausts, 3 header designs, AND tried both DA and 3W ignitions adapted to my BME 110 Xtreme, just to see if it ran differently and if any changes were a good thing. In all that time the prop NEVER slipped, no matter what prop I was using. In fact I just made a 6-bladed pusher prop to go on my BME 5.8 to power a 200" flying wing, reversed the engines rotation, and made it a 6-bolt hub just for the sake of it to see how it would work out. Now, as one who DOES have an open mind, I am not limited by certain design parameters associated with certain makes of engines.

Thus. . I intend to adapt a 6-bolt hub to my Xtreme next, and see if there are any difficulties doing so. If not, then Ralph will have a viable and marketable item he can sell as a re-fit for any BME that has ever been produced, if people so desire it. Truth be known, BME is going to be offering a 6-bolt hub in the near future, as an option to anyone wanting it. It will still use the center stud and nut arrangment, since that is what holds the hub on the engine in the first place. . so you just gotta ask yourself. .WHY are you getting SO excited??

Go have a beer or 5 and relax . . . it'll be a better day tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:41 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on guys, Don't stop now!
Old 12-11-2003, 10:41 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Let me try that again, Ralph. .

1.5" diameter relief on the backside of the hub, 1/4" deep. May as well make the 6-bolt pattern for the small 3W pattern, and keep the diameter of the adapter hub to a minimum to save weight, or even scallop it between the bolt holes to further reduce weight. Make the hub 1/2" thick from the inner face of the undercut to the front face (total thickness 3/4" with 1/4" "relieved area") and the center hole needs to be 7/16" to slide over the BME stub guide. An overall diameter of the adapter of 1.75" will be more than enough.

With this adapter on the front of a BME, the firewall-prop hub distance will be the same as a DA100, making the BME a drop-in for the DA if this adapter is used. All the BME owner will have to do, since the anti-rotation pins int eh BME are on the same bolt circle diameter as the small 3W/DA pattern, is to drill and tap the two holes for the 5mm thread of the prop bolts, and use 10mm longer bolts in those holes. Since the center stud /nut arrangment is the primary means of prop retention, and the 6-bolt hub will be relegated to merely being an anti-rotation device, this will be the closet thing possible to a direct swap-across for the DA/3W pieces to the BME without having to get overly complicated about things.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:38 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

address ?
Old 12-12-2003, 08:20 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While Kris was testing mufflers for 4weeks, I assembled a 44% Ultimate - redesigned a twin exhaust setup - built 8 foamie models -assembled a 40% Carden fuselage -had a case of the flu and wrote a book on relativity.
Actually about my uncle's mission to Samoa and the girl he smuggled home -
Anyway , It was good to hear that Kris discovered proper bolt up systems .
Old 12-12-2003, 08:29 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

I asked you guys nicely to create a new thread for this.....I think it is good info, but it deserves it's own thread.....THIS ONE IS NOW LOCKED

We should all APOLOGIZE to the thread starter for OVERTAKING his thread.