Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Using Humbrol or not!?!?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Using Humbrol or not!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Henrik_Rosen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Humbrol or not!?!?

I’m just about to start painting my P-47. I've only worked with MonoKote covering before so painting is new for me. I've asked lots of questions about it and I think I've got almost as many tips as there are scale builders on this planet. I'm really confused. Many people have told me that I can use Humbrol paint and spray it, using paintbrush. I’m thinking of doing that but some say I'm stupid if I do that. Help me out here, is it so bad to use Humbrol and then cover it with two layers of Clear coat (LustreCoat)? [&o]

Henrik Rosen
SWEDEN
Old 12-09-2003, 04:43 PM
CafeenMan

Default RE: Using Humbrol or not!?!?

I've done it. Not Humbrol, but Testors Model Master paints (still enamels) and then used a clear fuel-proofer over them. In fact, I've used Tamiya acrylics to paint entire aircraft and then sprayed over with flat clear coat on some war birds.

But I don't paint monokote because the paint doesn't stay on too long.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:42 AM
Henrik_Rosen

Thank´s

I’ve just heard that there is a company here that has Tamyia acrylic paint. Think I go with that. Do I have to mix it to use it with paintbrush? I’m thinking of using LustreKote clear cote on, will that work?
Old 12-10-2003, 01:53 AM
CafeenMan

I've had really poor results trying to brush Tamiya acrylics. Some people thin them with windshield wiper fluid, other people use various type of alcohol.

I've only airbrushed them and I use the Tamiya thinner for that. A lot of companies carry Tamiya acrylics. Here are some links to places that cater to plastic modeling:

http://www.greatmodels.com/
http://www.hobbylinc.com/
http://modelersvault.com/
http://www.phoenix-model.com/
http://www.squadron.com/

I don't know if all the above places carry Tamiya acrylics, but I'm sure at least a few of them do.

Here's the link to Tamiya as well:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/
Old 12-10-2003, 02:23 AM
jacs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just started with airbrush and found that Createx airbrush paint is working for me. I'm gonna use this to paint my Gee Bee Z. You can buy Createx paint from Matton here in Sweden. If you look at www.matton.se you will find where their shops are located.

Mixing was done with 50% water and 50% paint with no blip or spot, and I didn't need to pump the paint. I have tried Humbrol and Tamayia and they simply dont work for me (whant water mix not thinner)
Old 12-10-2003, 03:00 AM
Henrik_Rosen

I’ve talked to Matton and they suggested that I used car paint but I don’t think that will work for me. Do you, ahh, tar det på svenska istället. Har Matton färg färdigblandat eller måste du blanda kulören själv. Jag är osäker på hur svårt det är att blanda så man får samma kulör två gånger och vilka färger jag skall blanda för att få rätt färg.

Sorry, had to take that in Swedish. Didn’t know how to translate it to English.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:28 AM
Crayon

Painting monocoat doesn't work very well. The monocoat is far too flexible and the paint ends up cracking. Additionally it's too non-porous, e.g. shiny plastic, for the paint to adhere to.

You could try automotive paint with flex agents added. But...automotive plastic is less flexible than monocoat, it probably would still crack.

I'd use some kind of cloth covering and colored aircraft dope. If you need non standard colors, put aniline dye or artist oil base pigments in the dope.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:19 AM
Henrik_Rosen

Sorry if my English isn’t so good. I’m not going to paint on monokote. I meant I’ve only covered planes with monokote before and never painted any. This time I glassed it and going to paint it.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:44 AM
Crayon

ORIGINAL: Henrik_Rosen

Sorry if my English isn’t so good. I’m not going to paint on monokote. I meant I’ve only covered planes with monokote before and never painted any. This time I glassed it and going to paint it.
Sorry, my mistake.

I always liked using Humbrol on my model tanks. I've never tried it on a plane. Unfortunately, Humbrol is becoming hard to find locally.

I'd try it on test piece before I shot the plane with it. You'll probably need to fuel proof it as well. Although, you could soak your test piece with fuel and see what happens.

Erik
Old 12-11-2003, 03:07 AM
Henrik_Rosen

I think Ill make a peace first but I heard that its not fuel proof so I will have to put clear cote on too. Think Ill use LustreKote for that.

We have a store here that have Humbrol and Tamyia paint so I hope they wont stop selling it.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:33 AM
rflasch
My Feedback: (8)

Henrick---Love to see the Sweedish on the site---Gives us a international flavor on RCU.

Don't worry about your English--you will see that we're not too good at it either!!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2003, 02:16 AM
Henrik_Rosen

rflasch

Tahnk´s.

Ive notice that there are some Sweedes here on RCU. Its a great site ant you can always get an answer on all you questions here. It’s great.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:31 AM
rflasch
My Feedback: (8)

Henrik--- You're right...and some of the answers are even correct!!!

Good Luck and Good Flying--post some pictures of your plane when you finish!!
Old 12-12-2003, 05:36 AM
Henrik_Rosen

I will post some pictures here when I’m finished building. Till then you can follow the project on http://www.henrikrosen.com/NewP47.htm
Old 12-12-2003, 02:04 PM
jacs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Henrik

You say that you work at IT support but don't manage to get the link right ?. No I'm just kidding looking at dina bilder på din hemsida. Sorry couldn't help myself to write in Swedish also. I have to thank you for the pdf of that paper Gee Bee. And I also noticed that you don't spend much time with the computer after work.

Regards
Old 12-13-2003, 08:56 AM
Henrik_Rosen

Sorry about the link to my site. I should have known that I could not end with a dot there. I removed the dot and now the link works.