Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Best Hummingbird setup for future upgrade?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Best Hummingbird setup for future upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 04:29 AM
banhbao

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Hummingbird setup for future upgrade?

Hi, I'm interested in HB "seperate". Searching the net, I come up with this setup. I'm wondering if there are good in the future if I want to upgrade the HB. I don't want go to extreme like brushless motor or something like that. But a Li-ion batter to lengthen the flight time is what I'm looking for.
Here's the setup
1. Hummingbird Kit
2. 2x HS 55 Feather servo
3. GWS 300, 50 ESC
4. Century gyro or GY240 (is heading hold important??)
5. GWS 4ch RX
6. Birdseed batter for now but certainly upgrade to Li-ion bat

Does this look good? Do I have to upgrade anything else if i want to go Li-? I'll be using Futaba 9CAP TX so can I just buy the regular gyro since the HH is so expensive, unless the GY240 can be used toward other helicopter like the Raptor or Century Hawk. Thanks for all the info.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:42 AM
darkside212
My Feedback: (73)

Default RE: Best Hummingbird setup for future upgrade?

Hi,
You don't need an ISC 300 speed control, a 100 and a 50 will suffice. Since you have a 9CAP you don't need a heading hold gyro, the Century works just fine, and weighs a lot less. Forget li-ion batteries, get lithium polymers, they're safer and weigh less. The hitec servos are nice and the 4ch receiver works great. I have this same setup I get 10minute flight times (I could go longer but if you drain the lithium batteries too much you can ruin them and it's better to play it safe, so use the timer on your controller).
I hope this helps and enjoy
Old 12-21-2003, 11:55 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I flew with the gy240 on my piccolo. It is very well behaved and keeps the tail rock steady. HH is good for many pilots. But it is a BRICK! Too heavy. It will greatly cut down the flight time on NiCad or NiMH packs. It you use LiPos (highly recommended anyway) you will likely need 3 cells rahter than 2.

Still go seperates. Get the GWS PG03 rate gyro. The revo mixing on your fully featured trasnmitter will make it work quite well.

Just a note about your transmitter: It has throttle ratcheting. This is difficult to use on a heli. It will always want to hover right between 2 clicks. I have the 9CHP and I love it. My brother has the 9CAP. He used my transmitter until he could modify his throttle ratchet. Now he is happy. The only difference is that the CHP has a flat tensioner that rides over the teeth on the throttle stick, and the CAP has a nob on the tensioner that grabs each tooth. I wonder if that tensioner from the CHP is something you can order?
Old 12-21-2003, 02:31 PM
nyrcpilot
My Feedback: (5)

The shaft collar and ball swash plate upgrades are awesome and needed IMO.

I run mine with a 9cap, use the throttle expo to set up your hovering, I was also "between 2 clicks" there is a lot of mixing in the 9c to get around this.

If using lithium I would also recommend the motor heat sink....cheap insurance

I run the stock gyro, good for hovering.....forward flight can be a challenge.