Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

turbine blow-out dos / don'ts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

turbine blow-out dos / don'ts

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 12:51 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default turbine blow-out dos / don'ts

fortunately I have never had a turbine blow out on me in flight so far, (jetcat P80, P120, and HP5) .....now .. besides things like not quickly droping to idle at high speed dives and such, what are some other things to keep in mind to avoid blow outs ? what would be the official dos and don't so to say ?

Wojtek
Old 12-20-2003, 01:08 PM
EddieWeeks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: turbine blow-out dos / don'ts

Do's:

1on't worry about it...

Don'ts:

2: worry about it

Eddie Weeks

ps.. even flying in the rain is not a problem.. (for the engine)
Old 12-20-2003, 01:22 PM
wojtek

lol , Eddie, what has me worried is the fact i have never had a blow out yet !! The laws of statistics and probability might be creeping up on me !! ..

Wojtek
Old 12-20-2003, 03:11 PM
jetsetter

WHAT ?? in the world is a "blow out"? I had one on my Firestone tires one time but I have never even heard the term blow out of a turbine. Are you creating something else to worry about?

Larry
Old 12-20-2003, 08:51 PM
wojtek

a blow out is when typically you get too much ram air in the intake of the plane, at idle, sometimes a turbine's burn can be "blown out" ... When I was converting my F-16 for a bypased install of a P80, I had to have a smaler intake installed so as not to have too much ram air blow my turbine out ... Rarely, but sometimes, a turbine will get blown out when you go to idle too quickly at a high air speed ..

then there are your typical flame outs where the turbine stops, be it due to a fuel flow problems, fod, etc ...

Wojtek
Old 12-20-2003, 09:30 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Never heard of such a thing....I'm not losing any sleep over it....
Old 12-20-2003, 11:19 PM
TAD1K

HI Wojtek
How long a list do you wont ?
ORIGINAL: wiwanczyk

fortunately I have never had a turbine blow out on me in flight so far, (jetcat P80, P120, and HP5) .....now .. besides things like not quickly droping to idle at high speed dives and such, what are some other things to keep in mind to avoid blow outs ? what would be the official dos and don't so to say ?

Wojtek
Old 12-20-2003, 11:43 PM
wojtek

one that is long enough

Wojtek
Old 12-21-2003, 12:31 AM
TAD1K

Start from end of the list December 20 at Supelveda Field 160 in the king cat

one that is long enough

Wojtek
Old 12-21-2003, 12:18 PM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

a blow out is when typically you get too much ram air in the intake of the plane, at idle, sometimes a turbine's burn can be "blown out" ... When I was converting my F-16 for a bypased install of a P80, I had to have a smaler intake installed so as not to have too much ram air blow my turbine out ... Rarely, but sometimes, a turbine will get blown out when you go to idle too quickly at a high air speed ..

then there are your typical flame outs where the turbine stops, be it due to a fuel flow problems, fod, etc ...

Wojtek
Wojtek,
Whoever filled your head with this fear of a "blow-out" might very well have been on crack or some other mind altering drug.
I have never heard of such a thing. I believe this might be more of concern to turbines with axial flow compressors, but with the centrifigal flow compressors that most model turbine engines use I think it would take much higher airflow than most of our models are capable of creating.
Go fly, stop worrying.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:30 PM
berthoud
My Feedback: (35)

I had a p80 blow out on me in flight. It was the third flight (my first) on dads new tango....out of no where, 5 minutes into the flight it flamed out in level flight. As it turns out, there was a faulty connection between the ic board and the ecu.... jetcat said they have only seen it once or twice, lucky us. At the time it was heading downwind at 80 mph, maybe 40 feet up, and dropped like a rock into the thicket/pasture....went from 60 to 0 in about 5 feet once it hit the tallest/thickest grass...cracked the frame up in enough places had to get a new one. Pretty much the worse place in the world for it to go, and it did...

my word of advice --> dont buy used turbines off rcu from someone you dont know even if it is a barely used/like new p80

scott
Old 12-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Mi-25

Hi Wojtek
just a little extra info re the 'blow-out' phenomena. In the turbine world, whenever a jet engine fails (when the flame goes out and NOT mechanically) it's termed a 'flameout' - I have flown fast jets in the airforce, airliners, and model tubines - never heard of the term 'blow-out' used in the sense you use it. If the ECU/Controller/FCU...etc... is working correctly then the engine should remain at flight idle regardless of flight conditions (except tailslides/very high ALPHA etc which may be a factor). Airline jet engines can injest MASSIVE volumes of water without any problem.
'Keep the shiny side up'
Leon
Old 12-21-2003, 10:32 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Woj was referring to the phenomenon (like he said) of a too rapid throttle down with too much ram air being thrust into the front of the engine due to a high speed airframe. When I was a RAM guy, I remember Rei telling me once that the engines (750F I think, but could have been a 1000) could throttle down faster than they had the ECUs set for. But they set them slower because you would get one of these "blow-outs" once in a while on a fast plane like a Bandit with a full bypass. He said if you did not have the ramp-down lag and were going really fast and throttled down too quickly, the RAM could blow-out. I distinctly remember Rei telling me this cause I wanted my engine to ramp down faster.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:12 AM
Mi-25

OK that all makes sense - I agree that if the ECU ramp-down was too quick then that could lead to a flameout - the manu. should be able to set (advise how to set) the ramp-down to obviate this case.
Leon
Old 12-22-2003, 08:24 AM
wojtek

Woketman, the rapid throtledown with too much ram air thing is exactly what i was refering to ..

this is all great info guys, i will say i feel a lot more at peace again now .. thanx !

The only planes I am planingto realy "wring out" have outside mounted turbines and are not bypased ... I will asume that the Jetcat ECUs will handle spooling down my turbines appropriately in all conditions, as it seems they have been doing so far ....

thanx guys !

Wojtek