Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Plane Storage

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 11:09 PM
Bluesky-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane Storage

I am putting together a 1/3-scale H9 Cap 232 that will weigh approximately 25 lbs and like most people storage space is a problem.

I plan to hang it from the ceiling in my garage and I would like to know if anyone has any long term experience using the wing tube for the front support. I am concerned whether over a long period of time (I hope it lasts a long time!) that the tube may be damaged due to the weight hanging on it.

I would appreciate any thoughts anyone may have on this.

Bluesky
Old 05-22-2002, 02:58 AM
CAP232CM
My Feedback: (8)

Default hanging plane

I don't think that would work because of where the tube is located in the fuse. I think it would want to tip on its nose and not be very stable. As far as the tube supporting the weight for long periods should be fine.

I'm also getting ready to start mine but kind of have the same problem. My garage is full and my work shop is in the basement. So untill I clean out the garage I'm kind of, well you know.

One way would be to store it upside down. Make a mount covered in foam to hook in the landing gear then make a horse shoe shaped mount covered in foam to support the rear of the fuse. The rear mount would have to hinge or hook in at the top.

Another way would be to make a platform just big enough for the wheels to sit on. Make wheel choks so it can't roll off then hook up some sort of pulley arrangement and hoist it up. I'm sure others will have more ideas for ya there are many many ways of doing it just find something that works best for you.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:09 AM
CAP232CM
My Feedback: (8)

Default Plane Storage

I just saw these two planes in the for sale column but look at the way this guy did it, looks bullet proof to me.

http://www.angelfire.com/wv/Jon/sale/519/quadracap.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/wv/Jon/sale/519/extra.jpg

(COPY AND PASTE TO SEE THE PICS)
Old 05-22-2002, 03:06 PM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Default Storage idea

I have a 42% Giles 202. I normally keep all my planes in the basement, but this one is too big to easily move in and out of the basement.

I built a shelf 10'X4' and hung it from the ceiling by attaching 2X4's to the rafters and then the frame of the shelf. I made the shelf high enough to pull the hood of my Explorer under it (Yes, the Giles fits in my Explorer!).

It is great in that not only does it allow me to store the plane out of the way, it actually INCREASES my storage space. I now keep my field box, charges, fuel cans, etc. on the shelf. The is also enough room for TWO large scale planes on it (I have a DP 330 on there as well, but I could fit another 40%er if my wallet would allow it!)

Total cost was less than $15 for the 2X4's, partical board, and screws and it took me an afternoon to complete the project from start to finish.
Old 05-22-2002, 11:41 PM
Bluesky-RCU

Default Plane Storage

Hi Cap232cm,

I like the looks of the arrangement that angelfire used for his quadracap and plan to try it out. It's a lot simpler than the rube goldberg arrangement I was thinking of using.

Thanks for your help.

Bluesky
Old 05-23-2002, 12:08 PM
R/Ckrazy

Default Wing Storage

I store my Cap wings in separate padded wing bags. The one's that I bought have loops and metal clips at the 2 top corners.

The wings go in leading edge down and I hang them on the wall out of the way Perfect for long or short term ! Got them over at wingbags.com
Jim
Old 05-30-2002, 04:02 PM
ebackscheider-RCU

Default Plane Storage

I have the same plane and I hang it with 4 ladder hangers. I use 2 on the Horizontal stab and 2 (which hold most of the weight) on the landing gear. This works great for me. Keeps the plane out of the way and I can still park my car in there!

Eric
Old 05-30-2002, 07:08 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

Default Plane Storage

Caution on the garage storage here. I live in a good neighborhood and STILL had two planes stolen from my garage. These were smaller planes, they left the big stuff, but still a disappointing loss.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...215&forumid=59

Never did see these two planes again, now I store EVERYTHING in the house. BTW, 27% planes DO fit in that closet-ish space under the stairs.

-Cheechh
Old 05-30-2002, 07:46 PM
T28pilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default storage

heres how i store my laser 200
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12730_480.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	7975