Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Need help, Mejzlik prop wont fit in alum. spinner

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Need help, Mejzlik prop wont fit in alum. spinner

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 12:17 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need help, Mejzlik prop wont fit in alum. spinner

Got any tips on hogging out the are where the prop fits in??? I hate to make this nice spinner look like crap.

Had a zinger 22x8 in it, new M prop is a 22x10

Thanks
Old 05-22-2002, 02:27 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey John...I had to buy an "M"(easier then trying to spell them) spinner for my Extra. What I got was a Tru-Turn that had that special cut. You might check Don at Don's hobby if he might have an idea. Also might try a local machine shop that could machine your existing spinner. I'm fortunate I found a guy that does this stuff cheap for my planes. Those machinist like small challenges most of the time. I know a machine shop sure can do a much better job then I could, it's amazing what they do with all those cool tools.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:56 AM
kevin mcgrath
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a common problem.I just finished opening up a Dave Brown 3 1/4 to fit 20" props.I use a dremel tool with a steel metal cutting bit.Ink along the edge of the cut so you can judge your progress,and do a little at a time checking the prop fit often.Usually both sides and the depth of the prop cutout have to be opened up a little.Make sure the edge of the spinner does not touch the prop and you are done.You can smooth up the edge of the cuts with some fine grit sandpaper for a professional look.Its a good idea to rebalance the spinner too,IMO.
There are probably other ways to do this ,and maybe better and easier too ,but this method has worked for me on four spinners...
Old 05-23-2002, 12:07 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Default Spinner hogging made easy!!!

If you have a router, this is such an easy and clean method you will not believe it until you try it.

Mount a router on a board so that you have about 1/3" of cutter poking through. Lay the board between two saw horses, or tables, or your workmate (get the idea?) so that the router is underneath and the bit is sticking up. Now, being careful not to route your fingers off, you can easily and very accurately enlarge those slots. A good router bit will eat away the aluminum quite cleanly and because the spinner is held firmly against the board and is being moved against the cutter, the chances of slipping and scarring the spinner's outside is almost zero. Another minute with a half round file will dull the edges and make a professional job of it.
Eye protection is advised as you will want to watch very closely to exactly where the bit is cutting, and do not rest your hand on the bit while you admire your work.

Mark

Mark
Old 05-23-2002, 12:51 PM
JohnVH

Great! thanks
Old 05-23-2002, 04:50 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I like that!

Router idea..but I don't have one. I used the trusty Dremel. A lot..fitting a 3W 30X12 (Menz looking) into a 5" Tru Turn.
Old 05-23-2002, 05:53 PM
mulligan

I don't know the part number, but the Dremel diamond bit works great- used it on my 3 inch aluminum spinner, only took a few minutes and got a great looking finish.

But, BE SURE to balance afterwards. These metal spinners weigh a lot and a little out of balance, even at relatively small diameter, is nearly as bad as an out-of-balance prop.

- George
Old 05-23-2002, 06:41 PM
JohnVH

OK, I used a die grinder at work with a grinding bit on it, worked good.

BUT, I have not way to balance this thing
Old 05-23-2002, 11:07 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Actually, I think the Topflite prop balancer will work for you. There's several things that balancer will work with. Just put shaft through the spinner, with backplate in place, use the cones in each end to sandwich the spinner/backplate in place, and have something to fine grind here. Probably a Dremel will do what you need...I've not done this like this, so I'm basically speaking out of turn here But hey, I've done that before. I'm interested to here feedback on this one though, Good luck John.
Old 05-24-2002, 12:33 AM
kevin mcgrath
My Feedback: (1)

That Router idea sounds slick,but like the other gent I dont own one.The top flite balancer is the one I use too,and Im pretty sure the original instructions detailed how to do spinners,but I do it exactly as described above .I tried various stones,and the diamond bits too in my dremel but found the steel rasp worked best and slid around less.More than 1 way to skin a cat I guess.
The Dave Brown spinner is very light ga. material compared to some I have used and hence easier to balance,and it looks good too......IMO
Old 05-24-2002, 04:51 AM
ChinookPilot

What Dale says--it works. Just go slow and carefully. Use those small jewelers (swiss) files to finish and tweek.

Sam