Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G-62 problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 07:05 PM
bkdraft
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-62 problem

I bought a G-62 used. It runs fine. When I recieved it, it did not have any pins to hold the prop. I found out real quick they were necessary. Today, I came for landing and killed the engine. I noticed the prop was pointing at the ground and 90 degrees off where it normaly stops. I removed the prop and the two roll pins had sheared and let the prop move. Is this common problem? I am wondering if maybe I am putting too much strain on the pins when using the spring starter. Any suggestions?
James

Giant Stinger G-62
Long John 1.5 Sachs
Giant Aeromaster 3w60 (under contruction)
Old 01-10-2004, 08:35 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: G-62 problem

Not a common problem. Pins are not necessary on a G62, just get the prop bolt tight. The starter has no effect on a tight prop..I haven't used the pins on my G62 for years....
Old 01-10-2004, 09:55 PM
bkdraft
My Feedback: (2)

Hmm, maybe the back plate on the spinner is causing the problem. When I first got the engine I could not keep the prop from slipping till I installed the pins.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:59 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Same here.
I've got three, and one has been drilled for two short brass pins. The other two have yet to loosen the prop. My wooden T/F's will swell in the basement and at the field will dry out and be a little looser, requiring about 1/4 turn to tighten.