Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCS 140 WONT RUN IN THE AIR

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 11:38 PM
MADMAN II
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCS 140 WONT RUN IN THE AIR

I HAVE A RCS 140. IT RUNS GREAT ON THE GROUND, BUT YOU TAKE OFF IT CLIMBS GREAT ALL KINDS OF POWER. THEN YOU FLY ONE PASS AND IT STARTS HAVING PROBLEMS. CANT GET FULL POWER OUT OF IT. TRIED DIFFERENT PROPS (APC), ECT.
HAS ANY BODY HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS. ALL READY HAVE CARB. IN THE AIR BOX ALSO CARB DIAFRAM IS VENTED SO I DONT HAVE A PRESSURE PROBLEM
Old 12-18-2003, 06:34 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: RCS 140 WONT RUN IN THE AIR

Sounds like it's running hot. Is the engine being properly cooled. do you have enough air flow. Fly the plane without the cowl, see what happens. If you are then confident it is not running hot, try replaceing the ignition module/system. In had the same problem with an engine, replaced props, fuel tank, lines, carb parts, turned out to be a bad ignition system.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:37 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

You are lucky, I can't even get mine in the air. Runs great on the ground but forget airborne. I was running mine without the cowl so I don't think I would have a cooling problem. RCS told me to try putting the cowl back on, maybe propwash causing turbulence???? Too cold here to try, waiting for warmer weather or else I am going to put Saito 180 in place.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:33 PM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody checked the clunk position on these guys?
Old 12-18-2003, 05:34 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

It's not that the motor dies but just runs so terrible. Doesn't make much sence. You would think a motor tuned fine on the ground would at least be flyable. Yes, I even took the tank apart to make sure everything was put in right.

John
Old 01-10-2004, 10:05 AM
rcflyer60
My Feedback: (15)

If the little lever that lifts your needle valve is not lifting the needle high enough when the throttle is opened you get exactly this problem - the engine goes lean in the air when the prop unloads . Went nuts trying to get my ZDZ to run like the many lovers of these engins until I took the carb apart - blew out all passages - inspected the throw on the needle arm and wham - there it was . It had to be moved almost 1/8 th down to make any appreciable lift of the needle . Made a slight bend adjustment in the little arm that lifts the needle - put it all back together and wow - I now have a ZDZ like all those guys that LOVE their ZDZ engins. It starts in no more than three flips ( after choking ) and makes gobs of power at all settings . I think I had replumbed this pland FIVE times trying to find my "fuel supply" problem , had numerous guys in the know try to help and resorted to using a heavy duty starter to get the plane to start only to run poorly at almost all settings. I think that this is a bigger problem with all gas engins than it is given credit for. If it were not for a good friend looking for this problem I may well have moved to the funny farm by now .
Old 01-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

If you hold the forked end of the lever and push the other end down 1/8 it well never open the needle at all..The needle is lifted when atmospheric pressure on the diaphragm pushes down on the lever to lift the needle...The only way moving it down would make it work is if the diaphragm is incorrectly installed with the gasket on top of it...The gasket goes against the carb with the diaphragm on top, then the cover...The correct setting for the lever is about 1/64 of an inch above the surface next to it..
Old 01-10-2004, 11:43 AM
BigBird1
My Feedback: (4)

Check with Mike and see if the ignition module has a RPM limiter built into it...
I had one that drove me nuts, you didn't know when it would quit....sent it back, raised the rpm limit..changed the plug cap and never had a nother problem out of it, (well...till I had to dig it out with a shovel)[&o]
Old 01-10-2004, 10:59 PM
MADMAN II
My Feedback: (3)

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED. BECAUSE ITS LIFE IS BECOMING AN ENDANGERED SPECIES. TWO STROKES HAVE GOOD POINTS ALSO.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:22 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

RCS, ZDZ support forum:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ZDZ_...mid_204/tt.htm
Old 01-11-2004, 01:18 PM
Pushrod02
My Feedback: (16)

Are you using a Great Planes EZ Fueler? I had one that would start to suck air after I had the plane up. Good power for a minute or two and then it would start to lean out. They're a neat idea but not worth the trouble.