Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Hi Tec HS81 Servo Question

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Hi Tec HS81 Servo Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 11:37 AM
push rodz
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Tec HS81 Servo Question

Just recently ordered a set of Hi Tec HS81 servos with metal gears. But as luck would have it, the ones I got (from my bud at the LHS) were the nylon gears. Well, being (the idiot) the nice guy that I am, I went ahead and took them 'cause it took 2 weeks to come in and didn't want to wait any longer for the right ones to get here.....don't want to wait forever!

Here's the question -
One of them stripped a gear and I was wondering if I can put metal gears back in instead of the nylon ones???????

Anyone had this experience?

All input is appreciated.......
Old 01-11-2004, 11:53 AM
rcu guest-delete

Default RE: Hi Tec HS81 Servo Question

Push rodz, go to the Forum "Hitec Radios-Ask Mike at Hitec". And being nice is the best of any person manners. When we want to fly, we should fly !
Old 01-11-2004, 02:53 PM
gbzflyer
My Feedback: (2)

motocros,
Yes you can replace the stripped nylon gears with metal. I fly combat and have replaced a lot of gear sets. Unscrew the 4 screws on the bottom of the case. Carefully lift the top off. Make note of the sequence that the gears go on the shafts. Remove all of the gears. Clean out any nylon pieces where they broke off of the gears. Put the new metal gears in to match the nylon gears. Replace the top and tighten the 4 screws on the bottom.
Mike
Old 01-11-2004, 08:01 PM
push rodz
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks guys - appreciate the response.

While traveling today, just happened to stop in at a hobby shop in Dallas. The metal gear replacements are almost as much as the price of the MG servo.....this makes sense to me. I ultimately decided to just replace the nylon gears for about 1/3 the cost and bought a few sets for the next time. I really dislike being ripped off!!!

Maybe it's just me but something is way wrong with this picture.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:09 PM
CafeenMan

push rodz - if you're having problems with gears stripping then you're probably using the wrong servo to begin with. That being said, a servo's gears should at least be able to handle it's torque rating and on some of these smaller servos I have my doubts.

I gave up on metal gear servos though. Bought a very expensive set and they got sloppy in one season. When I bought them I didn't know much about them, but since then I've come across many people who say they have had the same problem with metal gears.