Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Gasoline engines

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Gasoline engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 10:03 AM
rcflyr
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasoline engines

How do I properly "winterize" a gasoline R/C engine?
Thanks
Old 01-07-2004, 12:10 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Gasoline engines

Probably the same way you would a weedeater, run the gas out of it. I don't do anything to mine to winterize it. Put stabil in it if you have gas in the carb, best to run it out though.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with flyboy, it's best to just run it out of gas. I f you have any left over fuel use it up else where or pour in some good stabilizer. [&:]
Old 01-07-2004, 03:58 PM
rcflyr
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the winterizing advice. Much apprieciated.
Rcflyr
Old 01-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would not run the carb dry. If the carb is dry the diaphram will dry out over time. I would use a good synthetic oil and make sure that all lines are sealed and the choke is closed.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:44 AM
Ronnies

Default RE: Gasoline <span class=

I flew my first gas engine giant with a good running Echo m25 cc motor with its original gas tank and filler cap, now I want to convert to a regular r/c tank with a inlet filler hose and a vent hose like you would set up a glow version. When I checked the original tank to see if the screw on black cap had a vent .it did not the cap was tight and the tank started to swell out , now when I hook up a go to set up my new tank , do I have to plug the over flow vent so now its like its original non vented tank? Please email me or answer the forums so I can install my new tank ASAP I want to test fly my new plane, Thanks [email protected]
Old 01-08-2004, 02:48 AM
Ronnies

I flew my first gas engine giant with a good running Echo m25 cc motor with its original gas tank and filler cap, now I want to convert to a regular r/c tank with a inlet filler hose and a vent hose like you would set up a glow version. When I checked the original tank to see if the screw on black cap had a vent .it did not the cap was tight and the tank started to swell out , now when I hook up a go to set up my new tank , do I have to plug the over flow vent so now its like its original non vented tank? Please email me or answer the forums so I can install my new tank ASAP I want to test fly my new plane, Thanks [email protected]
Old 01-08-2004, 08:59 AM
LearjetMech

Take some two stroke oil and drip it in the carb and cylinder plug hole and turn it over (shaft). You can also use a fogging oil if the carb opening is relatively accessible. I would try to rotate the shaft a couple of times about every two weeks or so too! If you want to leave the tank full (reduce moisture in tank), make sure you do as stated above and put Sta-bil in the gas. I would then 86 that gas come first flight after you have used it to clear out all the oil!
Old 01-11-2004, 10:48 AM
TerrellFlyer

I add stabilizer to the fuel then fun the motor to make sure the carb has the blend,leaving the engine dry seems to crack the gaskets and same to diaphragm
Old 01-11-2004, 07:33 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

The tank needs to have an atmosphere vent. Remember, without it, you cannot fill the tank with fuel.

ORIGINAL: Ronnies

Old 01-12-2004, 12:50 AM
Ronnies

Geistware thanks for the information Ronn