Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Fuji 50SA vs 50SB ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 01:35 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuji 50SA vs 50SB ???

Anyone out there familiar with this engine?

I have an opportunity to pick up a Fuji 50SA for a good deal in trade stock. I'm planning on mounting it on my new GP Christen Eagle II. Anyone out there have a good understanding about the differences between the 50SA and 50SB? My understanding is there a change in the magneto assembly and the carburetor. It looks like they flip-flopped from parts compatibility with the 32 to parts compatibility with the 64.

Is there significant enough differences between them for me to rethink my choice? I'm not looking for a rocket and am satisfied with an engine capable of giving me good aerobatics with the CE.

I've read that the Fuji 50SA is hard to hand start. Mine will come with the optional spring starter. I will also have a 24-volt electric starter available and, if that is sufficient, will not even install the spring starter. If the changes to the 50SB is only beneficial for hand starting then I would assume my starting alternatives will be a suitable alternative.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:59 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuji 50SA vs 50SB ???

Like you stated, they put the flywheel and magneto from the 64 onto the 50 to make it easier to flip start. They also changed the carb. It has a butterfly style choke (the SB does), and the carb linkage is "in-line" so there is no need for the bellcrank assy on the side of the engine any more. If you have a big electric starter, you should be fine. Fuji has a $20 dollar off rebate right now, so if your price is not too far off, you may want to get the newer SB. The spring starter is kind of expensive, if you don't use it you could probably sell it and make a few bucks as well.

Pilgrim