Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Airlerons

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 06:52 PM
RC337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airlerons

Hi:
I'm setting up the airleron throws and have run into a problem I think. The instructions call for a 1/2 inch up and a 1/2 inch down. I can get the 1/2 up but only 5/16" down. Tried all kinds of things, no luck, I don't have end point adjustments on the transmitter. This is a bi-plane, airl on the lower wing.
I thought I read somewhere that you should have differential on airlerons, more up than down. Anybody remember? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:30 PM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airlerons

You're right, more up than down is generally a good thing. but not necessary on all planes. Depends on it's tendancy to suffer adverse yaw which is it's tendancy to go nose high and tail low in a banking turn.
You should be able to equalize the throw but it's hard to describe in words. I'll try.
If you are looking down at the top of the servo, imagine a clock face. This is assuming a single servo mounted in the center of a low winged plane, operating both ailerons from the single servo....If you put the pushrods at the 4 and 8 o'clock positions, you'll get more up movement than down. If you attach them to the 2 and 10 o'clock position you'll have more down than up. If you make 3 and 9 your attach points, the throws will be equal more or less. With a high winged plane, or any plane that has the aileron servo mounted under the wing, all this is opposite.
From that knowledge, you can figure out all possible configurations
Old 03-11-2003, 08:57 PM
Bill L

Default Airlerons

HI Ed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thanks! You made me glad I bought a first radio with "end point" adjustments. JR's XF421ex![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2003, 06:56 PM
Scale Freak

Default Airlerons

Sorry to sound like a nit picker, but adverse yaw is the action of the plane actually yawing, for a short time, in the oppisite direction of aileron input. This occures because the downward aileron increases the angle of attack of the wing, thereby increasing its drag. This can pull or yaw the aircraft in the direction of that wing. This is offset by having the upward aileron travel further, increasing its drag. On aircraft such as the cessna 172 etc. the lower leading edge of the upgoing aileron actually protrudes below the wing, causing drag as well to offset the adverse yaw. These ailerons are called differential ( up more than down ) friese.
The adverse yaw can be most dramitic when sudden large deflection of the ailerons occures. The aircraft really yaws in the wrong direction before agreeing to turn in the proper direction.