Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA 150 Canaster mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 10:44 PM
CRS Sales

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA 150 Canaster mufflers

Looking for some info from the experienced ones. I am building a 42% Edge 540T and going with a DA 150. My question is on the mufflers Piffa or KS or is the another ? Which is lighter which is quiter? Any info is wecomed.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:02 AM
JB Rekit
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: DA 150 Canaster mufflers

KS is the most popular down here. I have the cans and a tuned pipe.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:14 AM
JB Rekit

Talk to Dave at DA if you want b/c there are different options that you might consider
1. Front or rear exit
2. Size of pipe you can incorporate into your fuse (diameter)
3. Length you can have

I have 2 of the 125cc cans on my DA 150. They aren't much hevier than the 70-80 cc cans just a little larger in diameter and a little shorter in length (these are the rear exits). They dump right before the landing gear.

Any 2 KS cans 80cc or larger will do what you want but call dave at DA and talk to him if you want to find out more or order them.

John

If you have room (you should with an edge b.c the wing tube is higher than an extra), you might consider the tuned pipes. They add quite a bit of torque and are just as quiet.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:27 AM
CRS Sales

Thanks for the info. I will give Dave a call...
Old 01-16-2004, 08:33 AM
CRS Sales

JB Rekit: Do you find a big difference in the tuned pipes?
Old 01-17-2004, 12:53 AM
JB Rekit

Yes they do make a pretty big difference.

If you were primarily flying IMAC, and not that interested in hardcore 3D, I would recommend getting the pipes for sure. If you want to do a lot of 3D or that is the primary purpose for the plane I would just stick with the cans.

The pipes will give you a lot more high end tq (1/2 throttle - full)
ex: in last years unlimited sequence when there was the 1 3/4 snap without pipes if a plane came into the snap at 1/2 throttle and lost a lot of airspeed the extra load on the prop would make you have to add a lot of throttle quickly to maintain airspeed. With the pipe, the added tq would help keep the RPM when it loads up and the plane does not slow as much.

They are great for pattern but when doing 3D with them you don't have a full linear throttle curve. It will start off nice and smooth for about the first 1/3 throttle and once you start approaching 1/2 or just a little more the tq from the pipe starts kicking in and the RPM starts trying to jump a little (just not smooth enough for me the way I like to do 3D, makes tail touching hard b/c every time you give it a little extra throttle you usually get more RPM than you want and you end up climbing 5-10 ft.)

Hope this novel helps

If you have anymore ?'s let me know or maybe someone else will chime in on this thread and tell us there experiences with the pipes so you can hear more than one perspective.

John
Old 01-19-2004, 12:09 AM
A320driver
My Feedback: (1)

I run a DA150 with the MTW cannisters and a fellow flier has the KS cannisters, both in CA Extra 300L's. The KS cannisters would seem to give a smoother mid-range transition. I had to program quite a big throttle curve to get the same effect. I have a DA100 on KS cannisters, again very smooth transition. Having said all that, the length of your headers can make all the difference in the world to how the cannisters act.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:48 PM
CRS Sales

Thanks for the info, all info is helpful...