Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Bud Nosen 310

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 10:00 AM
Agman29
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bud Nosen 310

Does anyone have the plans to a Nosen 310?
Old 10-01-2003, 02:53 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Bud Nosen 310

Agman29:

How about Bud Nosen???

Bite the bullet, pay the bucks.

Nosen is not in business for the fun of it, but rather for his health. Selling the plans puts food on his table, and keeps him healthy.

Please do not steal from him.

Thanks.

Bill.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Agman29

I didnt know that I could get them from him. Thats fine. How do I get in touch with him?
Old 10-01-2003, 05:15 PM
William Robison

Agman:

All American Kit Cutters is an agent.

All American Kit Cutters
365 Dutch Neck Rd
Hightstown, NJ 08520
Telephone: (609) 443-3175
www.aero-sports.com/aakc

HTH.

Bill.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:32 PM
scalefan4

The request for plans above seems to be in line with the activity on this site.

I did not think buying someones used plans was stealing. To imply that someone is contemplating stealing because they ask if anyone has a certain set of plans flys in the face of the Miscellaneous forum on the old RCU. There was a section set aside for the sale of previously owned plans. Guys (and girls) sell previously used items (including plans) here all the time. Is this a new RCU policy that no used items can be sold here if the original manufacturer is still in business?

I just noticed that there is a plans for sale section here. If someone offers the Nosen 310 plans there is it stealing to buy them? Is RCU aiding and abetting?

I just think implying attempted theft was kinda harsh.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:16 PM
William Robison

scalefan4:

Yes, perhaps it was harsh. But the plan seller sells the right to build and maintain one airplane from each set. Just like buying software, you are licensed to use it on only one machine. Even though you can take the CD around and install it on several other machines. And you can build more planes from the same plans.

I don't think anybody is going to come after you for building more planes, or loading your software on three machines.

But it's still not right.

RCU has no official prohibition against selling ORIGINAL plans, but the selling of COPIES is not allowed. If the selling of copies without the permission of the copyright holder becomes klnown to management all concerned posts will be removed.

My personal feeling is that once you have built the first plane from the plan your license is used. While you can convey or sell the plan to another party the purchaser DOES NOT have permission to build from the plan. And if he does so he is in violation of the copyright.

Some designers have said they do not care how many planes are built from one set of their plans, but far more want it limited to a single plane from each plan.

I suppose it just depends on how strong your conscience is.

Bill.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:48 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, if finish reading my copy of some spicey novel, it's "illegal" to let anyone else read it? I am sure it was copyrighted.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:21 PM
William Robison

TLH:

Printed media is published for multiple readers. Quit being ridiculous.

What is illegal for printed matter is copying. As it is for plans.

Bill.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:28 AM
scalefan4

Last comment: Where does it say "copy" in the original request that started this thread?

My only concern is the imputing of wrong motives to request that fall well within accepted and encouraged activities on RCU.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:37 PM
Rudeboy

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My conscience tells me that if I buy a set of plans, build a beautiful twin engined airplane and consequently wreck it for some odd reason, I will head down to the basement and start building a new plane from the same set of plans...

I totally understand people don't want other people copying their stuff just like that.
But saying I am only allowed to build one plane from MY set of plans is taking things a bit too far IMHO...

By the way, how many times is a set of plans going to change hands...? I know what my plans look like after I get through with them... and I even take care not to ruin them...
Old 10-05-2003, 11:10 PM
mgnostic

Received 102 Likes on 87 Posts

I have seen a few examples among full size plans built aircraft where the purchase of a set of plans includes the purchase of a liscense to manufacture one example of the aircraft. The plans are even serial numbered. Repairs would not constitute the manufacture of a second example. Exceptions would be public domain plans and those which specify unlimited examples. Hmmm, wotta concept. BTW, even with a plans protector my examples are usually pretty beatup by the time I'm done with them.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:14 PM
mgnostic

Received 102 Likes on 87 Posts

Hold the phone! Are we talking plans to complete a kit? One could consider them part of the kit and as such they are basically no differnt from a wing rib or a part of a spar.

My head hurts.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:39 AM
Agman29

Thanks for all the replies. The reason that I left the original post was to find out what the quality of the plans were. I have heard that the kits leave something to be desired. I will purchase the plans from kit cutters like WR first posted. Thank you.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:28 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can also get them from A&A industries. They are the nosen dealer. I have bought many kits and plans from him and he is very good to deal with. Let me know if you need his number. Email me if you need it.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:16 AM
Agman29

Thanks FLYBOY. I tried to look them up on the web, but I forgot the address. Can you give me the number and I will call them. Thanks
Old 10-17-2003, 02:19 PM
William Robison

When we did the Super Duellist kits, all the wood was bought from Bud Nosen.

Bill.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:34 AM
us1hydro
My Feedback: (23)

I guess I'm getting in on this late - I was really looking for info on building the Nosen P-51 - but REALLY " Quit being ridiculous"! Yes it's illegal and plain ole wrong to copy a set of copyrighted plans to sell & rip off the owner of the copyright. There is NOTHING wrong with selling or giving away the ORIGINAL plans or building multiple models from the same set of original plans. Your REALLY trying to split hairs. According to your "logic" you can't build a replacement using the original plans. I have an OLD Nosen Citabria that I'm seriously considering building a replacement for. I'm NOT going to throw away the old one - it still flys so I'll sell it. It'll make someone a nice starter large scale plane. I will probably build the replacement from the somewhat faded & ragged ORIGINAL plans. If my NOSEN Mustang & Jenny are lucky enough to survive that long (not to mention ME) I'll do the same with them. I challenge you to get Nosen or AA industries to find any fault with that.
I have a couple of sets opf plans that have been blown up larger - TECHINICALLY speaking the copyright was violated because the enlargement requires COPYING the original. I've never heard of ANYONE complaining about that but you "logic" says it both illegal AND wrong to do so. Additionally, when scratch building I copy the ribs & formers for cutting the wood. I even have one set of plans (f7f?) that TELLS you to do so right on the ORIGINAL plan! Some of the commercial custom kit cutters have a COPY of the ribs & formers glued to the cut pieces - I'll bet they don't buy a new set of plans for every kit they cut! CALL THE COPS!
Old 01-24-2004, 09:32 PM
Brad Fuller
My Feedback: (1)

This is a great example of why this hobby is going down the tubes, all I hear at the field are people arguing over the dumbest things. Just about every post that gets put on any forum here anymore turns into a verbal slugfest, Jees, I've had enough, Good bye RCU
Old 01-25-2004, 05:34 AM
Mike James

It's not "about you"...

The obvious ethical issue here is beyond debate. Instead of thinking "What if I.... (whatever)", try thinking from Bud Nosen's point of view.

RC modeling isn't going to make millions of dollars for anyone, as a rule. A guy conceives, designs, and tests a plane, then starts selling kits. If everyone who had a set of plans started selling them, copying them freely, and/or distributing them in any way, it takes income away from the designer. It's that simple, no matter how you qualify it. I don't think Bud Nosen or any designer, for that matter would mind you repairing your (paid for) airplane, using your (paid for) plans, but I'm positive that he would mind you copying, selling, or even trading them, when that is his business. ... And, just because you can "get away with it", that doesn't make it ok. What we need to do is support each other's endeavors, not sabotage them and possibly even drive them out of business. To say that it's "harmless" implies that you don't care about the quality of the product you're trying to copy. If it's "no big deal", then why not draw your own plans?

I get this all the time, for no other reason than the fact that I have a web site. I get many requests per year for each of my designs, from people who want me to simply "send them my drawings", or "send them my CAD model", or whatever. Why? It's not for research! It's so that they can use my work to create their own (copy) of my design, without paying me or putting out any time, research, or other effort on their own.

That's why, thanks to people like the ones above, I skew all the images on my site, and never publish isometric images which reflect the true design. (You can copy/download them, but you're copying an inaccurate image.) Boeing, Lockheed Martin, etc., all do this, and even many of the (EPS) graphics on the NASA Dryden site are skewed. (I've seen EPS files of airplanes that were not even bilaterally symmetrical in the top view.)

That's why more manufacturers are making ARFs and molded planes, too... No full-size drawings required, and as a by-product, less piracy. You can copy them physically, by making molds from their parts, etc., but it's a lot of money and time, compared to simply getting drawings duplicated. As soon as you publish or distribute an accurate image of a design today, you can probably kiss a hefty percentage of your potential customers goodbye.

If you have a conscience, I suggest paying for the things you use. The originator deserves it.