Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RAM 1000 on a Hotspot?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RAM 1000 on a Hotspot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 01:15 AM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RAM 1000 on a Hotspot?

I have a Ram 1000 with a Wren conversion done by Carlos. I've seen posts about Hotspots with other 25 pound+ turbines. Does anyone have any feedback or knowledge of Hotspots with this turbine? I live in Anchorage, Alaska and there's nobody within 1,500 miles that knows ANYTHING!

I had to travel to California to accomplish the necessary steps in order to acquire my waiver. I think I may be the only one in Alaska to have it.

Thanks for any advice that can be offered!
Cheers,
Bob Edison
Old 01-31-2004, 01:19 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: RAM 1000 on a Hotspot?

Bob, Bryce Watson had a RAM 1000 on his Hotspot. The first time I saw it take off, I could not believe my eyes! This thing would go vertical out of sight! Bryce is a very skilled pilot with 20/10 vision. You will go Ballistic Mav! Ram 1000 is an excellent engine for this jet.

Good Luck,

Sean
Old 01-31-2004, 12:12 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Thanks, Sean!
Does he have any photos of his plane?
Bob
Old 01-31-2004, 01:29 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Currently I am flying a hotspot with a RAM 1000 turned down to about 24# of thrust. It is amazing the performance I get out of this motor and plane combination. I can take off in about 150 ft and go ballistic from there. I carry 108 ounces of fuel on mine and fly for 7 minutes with enough fuel for a couple of go arounds and I fly most of my flights at 1/2 to full throttle. If I am just cruising around between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle I can stretch the flight to about 9 or 10 minutes. It is nice to have the extra power for go arounds as well.

Patrick.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:57 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

I have a well-used (and overweight) HotSpot with a P120, with speed limiter set to 200. I carry 2 liters of fuel and like Patrick, will rotate at 150' or so and can pull vertical immediately. I generally fly at 1/2 throttle and only use full pop during vertical manuevers and on take-off/go-arounds.

It is my turbine trainer (so to speak) and has served its purpose well. The excess thrust has saved my bacon a few times during botched approaches and a couple of "Kangaroo hop" landings.

It doesn't need this much thrust but the airframe can handle it.