Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Freezing Hummingbird Battery?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Freezing Hummingbird Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 07:03 PM
kriztoefur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freezing Hummingbird Battery?

i have a hummingbird with the stock bird seed batteries....is it a good idea to freeze the batteries to prolong run time? has anyone experimented with this? if so did you freeze while charging or before or after? thx
Old 01-25-2004, 07:08 PM
tomflier

Default NO It's not good to freeze them!!!

Freezing them is not good because it can effect one cell and not the other causing an imbalance of voltage in that cell and when you put it on to charge the cells become uneven and will soon be destroyed, usually.

tomflier
Old 01-25-2004, 07:18 PM
Charlie

Default RE: Freezing Hummingbird Battery?

I think freezing battery's is just an old myth. I have never heard of anyone in the RC hobby freezing they're battery's to make the last longer. People use battery cycler's to maintain the battery's. A battery will last a long time if you take care of it.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:24 PM
tomflier

If a NIMH gets too hot that can be bad but freezing it is just as bad(I think). A small cooling fan is nice too cool down your battery if you wanted to charge right after a flight instead of putting it in the freezer or putting it in the freezer to "increase flight times"

tomflier
Old 01-25-2004, 07:56 PM
jerbo6iks

The best performance is attained by trickle charging the batteries. One of those wall plugs or other low MHA chargers. For me, I'm tired of fine tuning the heli for different battery sizes. I'm sticking with the 7 cell 700 MaH bateries. I just charge 7 - 10 of them up when I go to bed (200 to 280 mah chargers I collected) and charge them in rotation the day I fly it. Alway let them cool down before charging and using. I think these things are designed for 7 to 10 minutes of flight between cooldowns anyway.

I don't think you'll ever need more flying time than that. I won't.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Super-Hornet

Hi kriztoefur

I kinda agree of all those replies. If you thinking of murdering your batteries, go ahead and freeze it. Then u have excuse of buying new batteries.

Super-Hornet
Old 02-01-2004, 01:51 AM
wacachu2

Freezing your battery before charging will make it more resistant to take the charge, so it will take longer to charge. Freezing it before use will reduce its amperage output, so you may not even get off the ground while the battery is cold. Keeping a battery cool will reduce its tendency to self-discharge over time, but will not stop it completely. Ni-Cads self-discharge pretty fast, NiMhs aren't quite as bad.

Cold will temporarily reduce a battery's performance, but heat can destroy it forever. Don't recharge a hot battery, especially with a fast-charger.

To get the most out of your battery you should finish charging it within a few hours of when you will use it. Keeping it on trickle-charge will ensure it is completely charged when your ready to use it. Most of the better chargers will fast-charge and then change to trickle-charge automatically.