Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Goldberg 30% Ultimate Construction and Design

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Goldberg 30% Ultimate Construction and Design

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 03:37 PM
rongreg13
My Feedback: (129)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg 30% Ultimate Construction and Design

Just started building my CG 30% Ultimate. First off, I've heard that some people have been having issues with wing incidence and/or warpage. Luckily, mine is not one of these. The kit is beautiful and is of first rate laser-cut construction. Much nicer than the other CG ARFs. The only missing pieces on mine are the axles for the main landing gear. Not a problem as I will give CG a call to get replacements.

The first problem I ran into during construction was the labeling on the interplane struts. When attached per the labels, the top wing doesn't even come close to fitting. I looked at the pictures in the instructions and all of the ads, and realized that mine are labelled upside down. When I flipped them, everything lines up right and they are the proper shape now. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue, but watch out.

My second issue involves the hinging of the elevators. All of my ailerons and the rudder have great 3D throws. the elevator, however, is hinged with the counterbalance super close to the horizontal stab. When you deflect the elevator more than a tiny bit, the counterbalance digs into the stab at the corner. I've sunk my hinges into the elevator a bit deeper and if you cut out some of the wood on one of the pieces, you can get some decent throw. What I'm thinking of doing, however, is to fill in the hinge holes in one piece and re-drill them to allow a gap between the counterbalance and the stab. This should solve the problem once and for all. Anyone else have this problem or come up with another solution?

The last thing I've noticed so far is that there are center-drilled hardwood dowels imbedded into the vertical and horizontal stabs. This looks like it was intended as mounting points for some tail bracing wires. there is no mention of this in the instructions or any of the pictures, however, and the hardware is not included in the kit. I'm wondering if this was built into the kit "just in case". I've contacted Goldberg about this, but they have not replied to me as of yet. I'll probably just fly the plane without the wires and see how she does.

I've got a Fox 4.2 with a Slimline Smoke muffler for the plane. My servos will be JR 8411's all around. Not sure what my final weight will be, but so far the airframe seems to be fairly light--not Dave Patrick light, but still better than most. If anyone has any experiences to add, please chime in.